Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 11:01 PM

I was very surprised driving somewhere earlier this evening that the sky looked almost normal. I just checked, and these 7 PM AQI readings are by far the best I've seen reported here in the past nine days.
Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 8.55.58 PM.png

Unfortunately, these are the worst readings I've noticed for the Portland area during that same time.
Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 8.54.57 PM.jpg

But hopefully this is the beginning of the end of the fires & smoke.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Vent away! Just over a week ago I just posted my best time up a favorite climb...and now I feel like I'm suffocating in a smog coffin. My anxiety which was bad is now absolutely horrible. I'm seriously depressed. I did just order a good air purifier so I hope that helps keep me and my pup healthy. I just talk him on short walks until he does his business. Stay strong.
Cheer up, especially if you were able to ride just a week ago. Here in Nor Cal, our fires and bad air started the 2nd week of August. I normally average 4-5 rides a week, here is my ride log for the last 5 weeks:

8/10-8/16 - 1 ride, 45 miles
8/17-8/23 - 0 rides, 0 miles
8/24-8/30 - 0 rides, 0 miles
8/31-9/6 - 1 ride, 40 miles
9/7-9/13 - 0 rides, 0 miles

Serious fitness evaporation. Sad thing is that the fires still burn, and we're heading into another extended high pressure pattern. I really expect we'll have bad air and no riding in these parts for another several weeks, or put another way, 2+ months off the bike.

Just need to keep reminding myself that I have my health and my home. Can also get the fitness back, just takes a lot longer when you are old.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:39 AM

Ugh, stuck inside again in Corvallis. My last ride was a really nice 26 mile gravel ride on Aug 8.
I was hopeful this morning when the AQI at 04:30 (yup, that anxiety thing is getting to me, too,) when the reading was only 106. Maybe I'd get out on the bike or at least go for a walk, but NOOOOO!!!. AQI is up to 160 and climbing.

Still, I have a safe place to live and plenty to eat (thanks to the brave farmers harvesting for the local farmer's market,) unlike those who have lost homes or communities to fire, floods, derechos, or the many injustices that plague our country.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:41 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I am riding tomorrow, period. AQI should be 100-150. I'll try to turn over less air by maintaining zone 2-3... ;O

Especially after loading 6 of my best bikes last week after Sofies' choicing which ones went in the steel out building in the middle..

What is VG is that we just finished removing all the briar and volunteer trees/vegatation growth up to 40' closest [neighbors lot/side] to the shop literally as the red sky approached. The acre burn pile 150' away.... Was it far enough away? Never know thankfully, or not this time at least.

I am feeling a bit more appreciation for my bikes I love, and love to ride so much. I also had to #SofiesChoice a few vintage guitars and left some cool tube amps in the steel building as well. I am #tired_tired_tired from the stress of this. Need some rejuvenation via miles...

If any one here got there bike/bikes burned and needs a steed to roll on, PM me...
Old 09-17-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
AQI is up to 160 and climbing.
Yes, very disappointed (although not entirely unexpected) - guess I was too optimistic last night.

AirNow shows Eugene back up to 276 and Bend back up to 456.

My biggest decision today is whether to tackle cleaning up some of the ash now, before tonight's forecasted rain, or let the rain have the first pass at the ash. I have a HEPA-equipped shop vac, and am wondering if I should first at least vacuum off the ash from some of the surfaces that won't drain the rainfall well, such as the swimming pool cover.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:17 PM

We're renting in Corvallis while we wait to close on a new place in Tucson, so the only cleanup I need to be concerned with is my vehicle. I have no idea what the accumulated ash will due to my Mazda's paint. Will it turn to sludge tonight when it rains? I'm thinking about heading to a self-service car wash this afternoon to rid it of ash.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:18 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
I have a HEPA-equipped shop vac, and am wondering if I should first at least vacuum off the ash from some of the surfaces that won't drain the rainfall well, such as the swimming pool cover.

Suggest leave blower, else you will be running the hose and/or power washer a lot longer if you do not mitigate the slurry material/powders, no?
Old 09-17-2020, 12:20 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Car Wash, eh?

Hit some high speeds to the car wash to dislodge as much as possible.

I used the hose and a soft brush after getting the compressor out to get the window gasket crannies unloaded.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Suggest leave blower, else you will be running the hose and/or power washer a lot longer if you do not mitigate the slurry material/powders, no?
I have to respectfully strongly disagree with this, and everything I've seen says do NOT use blower. Heck, the EPA says don't even sweep the ash. Both methods will just place a fair amount of material back into the air, and possibly into your, or others', lungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Car Wash, eh?

Hit some high speeds to the car wash to dislodge as much as possible.

I used the hose and a soft brush after getting the compressor out to get the window gasket crannies unloaded.
Same thought here. I originally thought I would just drive at highway speed to dislodge ash, until I realized that would also just put it back in the air. The goal is twofold - clean the ash off of surfaces, and sequester it out of the air as much as possible. Again, the advice I've seen is to use a commercial car wash that captures the runoff (although the local car wash I use is closed due to the smoke), or hose off your car while it is parked on grass/gravel/dirt, so it can settle into the soil. I plan on doing the latter, and then counting on the rain, supplemented with my sprinklers, to settle the ash as far into the soil, and out of reach of the kids, as possible.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
We're renting in Corvallis while we wait to close on a new place in Tucson, so the only cleanup I need to be concerned with is my vehicle. I have no idea what the accumulated ash will due to my Mazda's paint. Will it turn to sludge tonight when it rains? I'm thinking about heading to a self-service car wash this afternoon to rid it of ash.
Good plan!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:50 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Car washes do have sand traps. But 99% of it will be in the air before you get there arguably.

As far as my lungs, I wear a respirator when I mow the lawn, outside conditions now has it next to the door instead of hanging on my mower next to the ear protection....

I see the lawn maintenance folk in my hood creating sand storms with the V8 blowers. And how many times riding have you had to ride thru a V8 created sandstorm while someone blows his storm onto you and all his neighbors cars/walks etc. No win scenario I guess.

I used to wait until it was going to rain, and run out with a bucket and brush once it started, and let rain finish it off.

Last edited by robt57; 09-17-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:44 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Guess I am not riding tomorrow after all,Thunderstorms and rain. Totally OK with it too!!!
Old 09-17-2020, 09:50 PM

Good news & bad news.

Good news: it has started raining here! Very light so far, but just enough to wet the ground where I live north of Eugene. 🌧ï¸

Bad news: there is thunder & lightning. 🌩ï¸

Please, no more fires.

Last edited by ORMojo; 09-18-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:55 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
Good news & bad news.

Good news: it has started raining here! Very light so far, but just enough to wet the ground where I live north of Eugene. 🌧ï¸

Bad news: there is thunder & lightening. 🌩ï¸

Please, no more fires.

Fingers crossed...
Old 09-17-2020, 09:56 PM

I'm in the Chicago area and while the sky hasn't been noticeably affected by the smoke, you can smell it some days. Hoping you're able to stay safe out there.