Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 01:37 PM

In my experience, once the cone looks like that, the hub is toast. There was enough grit to pit the cup, and once the hardened cup surface is pitted, it will all go downhill even if you replace the cone and the balls. To check this, inspect the race with a magnifying glass, and also run a sharp pencil along the race, and feel for any roughness.

This is an unfortunate result of Shimano's design, which embeds the cup in the hub. Campy cups can be replaced, especially with the newer hubs.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
In my experience, once the cone looks like that, the hub is toast. There was enough grit to pit the cup, and once the hardened cup surface is pitted, it will all go downhill even if you replace the cone and the balls. To check this, inspect the race with a magnifying glass, and also run a sharp pencil along the race, and feel for any roughness.

This is an unfortunate result of Shimano's design, which embeds the cup in the hub. Campy cups can be replaced, especially with the newer hubs.
I've replaced a lot of cones where the hub was quite smooth afterward.

It's the much larger area of contact with the balls that allows the cup surfaces to be relatively immune to damage, even after the cone and balls show surface failures.

Rust on the other hand, is more egalitarian, it'll tear up the cups as fast as the balls and cones.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:46 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucieli View Post
New bearings, cones and seals was my original thought. Loose bearings and seals I can source. It's the cones that I'm having trouble finding. I could not find them on Shimano USA and the Wheels Manufacturing compatible cone does not have the dust cap and is not available anyway. The pitting on the cones looked exactly like the photos Veloo shared but I was able to polish them clean with minimal effort. I will try replacing the bearings and see if there is any improvement.

Appreciate all the input!
OP, I might have the Wheels versions of these in my rebuild kit. I can check tomorrow when I go in if you'd like. You just pull the silver dust cover off the old and press them on the new cones. Wheels made better replacement versions than the original Ultegra ones. Really beautifully machined. I just put some on a retro resto build I'm working on. My rebuild kits have the seals as well.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
OP, I might have the Wheels versions of these in my rebuild kit. I can check tomorrow when I go in if you'd like. You just pull the silver dust cover off the old and press them on the new cones. Wheels made better replacement versions than the original Ultegra ones. Really beautifully machined. I just put some on a retro resto build I'm working on. My rebuild kits have the seals as well.
Definitely interested, thank you!
Old 09-17-2020, 02:42 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucieli View Post
Definitely interested, thank you!
PM incoming. I have 8 front hub cones and 3 drive / 3 non-drive side cones for the 6500 series hubs. These are the Wheels Manufacturing ones. So they have the machined bearing races vs the stock ones should be black oxide ones.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
PM incoming. I have 8 front hub cones and 3 drive / 3 non-drive side cones for the 6500 series hubs. These are the Wheels Manufacturing ones. So they have the machined bearing races vs the stock ones should be black oxide ones.
Ultegra hubs have always had machined/ground cone races afaik.
I'm surprised anyone would assume that any sort of aftermarket cones would be better, I would not have assumed that.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Ultegra hubs have always had machined/ground cone races afaik.
I'm surprised anyone would assume that any sort of aftermarket cones would be better, I would not have assumed that.
Dura Ace had the machined cones. Ultegra didn't come with them on the 6400 and 6500. The Wheels cones are universally known as the same as Dura Ace or superior. They are incredibly well made. Same with the axles they offer.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Dura Ace had the machined cones. Ultegra didn't come with them on the 6400 and 6500. The Wheels cones are universally known as the same as Dura Ace or superior. They are incredibly well made. Same with the axles they offer.
Just be glad you don’t have the DA 7700 front hub! The cones are difficult to find and expensive (+$25):

Good Luck!

Last edited by bfd; 09-17-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Just be glad you don’t have the DA 7700 front hub! The cones are difficult to find and expensive (+$25):

Good Luck!
I have those hubs and also have new cones for them.