Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
After, oh my gosh, fifty years of enduring the constant irritation of golfing, I finally gave up. Golf won. Comparing cycling to golfing-it would be like if every time you went out to ride your bike, every three crank rotations your foot would slip off the pedal and you wouldn't be able to figure out why. Then a hand would randomly slide off the bars and you wouldn't know why. Then you'd steer left and the bike would go right. After every ride you'd throw your bike in a corner in disgust trying to figure out why you keep taking the abuse. At least that's the way golf was for me, and I still played for fifty years!
Hilarious. POTD
Old 09-18-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chismog View Post
As you can tell, the wax/wane of interest and motivation is pretty common.

Back in the day when I raced, every ride became a training ride and eventually that became no fun. When I felt like a had to be out there instead of wanting to be out there... I was done for a while.

Now I find that having a fun goal is a great way to motivate. A few years ago it was the SB Century. A few years before that it was going to Italy to ride up Stelvio and Gavia.

Now I'm scheming to hook up with my brother (a relatively recent convert) to attack some epic soCal climbs. He's super into it and I want to spend time with him.

Like others said, maybe what tool you use helps too. I have always loved bikes, so there is joy in petting my croutons and for me that helps get me riding. Lately I am in love with tooling around town on my restored steel classic.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Don't beat yourself up over it.
I've never heard that expression before what does this mean?
Old 09-18-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Hilarious. POTD
LOL that was pretty good.

As for golf I was very competitive in high school but I was also a wicked hot head. Many a golf club ended up in the tops of trees.

One day though it jut stopped. Now when I play golf I carry 3 clubs with me, a 3 wood, 9 Iron and a putter. I don't keep score on a score card and I just enjoy a day out.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I've never heard that expression before what does this mean?
I'd never heard it until a week ago, when @akelman posted it. It refers to people who have an obsession with inanimate objects.
That's what I meant to say, anyway. Gosh it sounds like it could be something else though, doesn't it???
Old 09-18-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
After, oh my gosh, fifty years of enduring the constant irritation of golfing, I finally gave up. Golf won. Comparing cycling to golfing-it would be like if every time you went out to ride your bike, every three crank rotations your foot would slip off the pedal and you wouldn't be able to figure out why. Then a hand would randomly slide off the bars and you wouldn't know why. Then you'd steer left and the bike would go right. After every ride you'd throw your bike in a corner in disgust trying to figure out why you keep taking the abuse. At least that's the way golf was for me, and I still played for fifty years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
after riding regularly for 25 years, I gave up riding to devote my spare time to learning to play golf...gave it several years and finally worked my way to a legitimate 81 (every stroke counted, no mulligans, etc.) on a moderately difficult course. thought I had gotten the hang of things...

on the very next outing, I scored a 99 on a ridiculously easy course and didn't even sink every putt...took a bunch of gimmees. pretty sure there was some do-over tee shots too...

went out a week later and was standing on a tee box waiting to hit when 3 guys on road bikes went by at speed. I knew I would much rather be with them than sweeping a little ball around a pasture. finished the round and never touched my clubs again.

my best advice on golf...don't try to self-teach. find a good instructor and avoid learning a bunch of bad habits.
Takeaway: Paceliners don't like challenges or have great hand-eye coordination.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:06 PM

2018 I rode a lot and did a big event
2019 I was burned out and went rock climbing a lot
2020 I haven't gotten to go rock climbing (covid) and have rode all of 800 miles

Mega Covid in my area earlier in the year
Didn't want to get stranded out on a ride, didn't want to stop anywhere and go in and buy food, etc.. do to all the Covid stuff
Started the year with a pulled hamstring/glute, been fighting that all year
Somehow threw out my back, got better, did it again

I think maybe another thing going on is I've lived in the same house for 10 years. I've been cycling for 20 years. The first 10 years I kept moving from apartment to apartment and kept having new & varied places to go cycling. Where I live right now my knowledge of every local road, trail, gravel bit, whatever is starting to get really deep. It's harder and harder to go explore and find anything new.

Been a long road. My best cycling this summer was in the 6 weeks my son went to a local camp program. If both my wife and I are working from home and he is home with us it is very hard for me to go for a productive ride. My son is finally back in school this week, so I got to ride today, but I still gotta take it slow cause those 2 injuries really come back easy cycling.

Don't let it bother you. Just a weird year.

Even if I haven't rode much and have had a couple injuries I haven't been sitting around.. did a lot of hiking & walking and pushups/pullups, etc..

One thing for sure if you're in the doldrums with cycling buying cycling stuff doesn't get me out of a funk. The more in a doldrum I am the more insane the costs of cycling stuff seems and having to buy anything makes me not want to cycle.

Last edited by benb; 09-18-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:28 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I was also a wicked hot head. Many a golf club ended up in the tops of trees.
I resemble that remark...
Old 09-18-2020, 05:49 PM

Well I missed another glorious day to ride today and I do feel bad about it, but not that bad. Would’ve been a good golf day too. Been about 13yrs since I’ve swung a club. I reached a point in golf where I thought I would not get any better and sold my membership. Golf turned into bets, beers, cigars, and more drinks afterwards along with a crap ton of rich food. Maybe it would be excercise if you walked, but I was always in a cart with my other fat ass friends. Cycling is so much better for me.

I may get up to ride in the morning, may not. Got both kids in from college this weekend so that will take precedence over any.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Well I missed another glorious day to ride today and I do feel bad about it, but not that bad. Would’ve been a good golf day too. Been about 13yrs since I’ve swung a club. I reached a point in golf where I thought I would not get any better and sold my membership. Golf turned into bets, beers, cigars, and more drinks afterwards along with a crap ton of rich food. Maybe it would be excercise if you walked, but I was always in a cart with my other fat ass friends. Cycling is so much better for me.

I may get up to ride in the morning, may not. Got both kids in from college this weekend so that will take precedence over any.
As it should..stay safe, for you AND your kids.