Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 06:53 AM

Slim Chance build suggestions.

So a few years back I got rid of all my road stuff as it wasn’t getting any use. I had a Raleigh Professional set up single speed for commuting and a 2004 or so Titus Modena with Campy Chorus.

I have a 1997 Fat Chance Yo Eddy Mtn and always wanted a Slim Chance Road.
Well this thing will be here soon and since I’ll be starting from scratch, I’m debating how to build it up.

I’m not in a hurry to build it, most likely be a winter project as I gather parts here and there and build up a set of wheels.
Originally I was leaning towards a Campy group mostly because that’s what I’ve used in the past and I do think it’s the best looking. Now I’m leaning a bit towards something like SRAM Force because of cost and availability.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Lanterne rouge

Campagnolo or Shimano. There really isnt any other choice.
sHram sucks.

My vote is for a Ultegra group and some nice low profile carbon wheels.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Campagnolo or Shimano. There really isnt any other choice.
sHram sucks.

My vote is for a Ultegra group and some nice low profile carbon wheels.
Use SRAM because Shimano is the evil empire and Campagnolo is too expensive. Buy American parts for your American bike. In fact, buy every single piece possible from an American owned company.

Velocity, HED, Rolf, Zipp etc. for rims. Chris King hubs and BB or American Classic hubs. Fizik saddle, Thomson bars, stem and seatpost and full SRAM gruppo. eTap for a bonus.

Last edited by bikinchris; 11-12-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 PM

I think Force 22 is a great idea. Don't listen to people telling you to get used vintage stuff. That is a wormhole and a crapshoot; you might get a great group but then again you might get a project requiring troubleshooting. A new group for your new bike is the way to go. It think the ergonomics of the Force levers are excellent and it will look good on this frame.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I think Force 22 is a great idea. Don't listen to people telling you to get used vintage stuff. That is a wormhole and a crapshoot; you might get a great group but then again you might get a project requiring troubleshooting. A new group for your new bike is the way to go. It think the ergonomics of the Force levers are excellent and it will look good on this frame.
Who said to get used stuff?
Old 11-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Vendor

Was this the eBay one? I so wanted to hit the buy it now button. I'm liking the idea of going all aftermarket. My vote is a Campy Chorus shifting, EE brakes, PMP seatpost, THM cranks, Tune hubs, etc.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:38 AM
ZhugeLiang

I would put whatever I can lay my hands on or have around in my parts bin to get this functional and on the road riding in the shortest possible time. I hardly ever let a frame sit for more than 1-2 days without completing the build. That's just my style. But then again, that might not be a fair expectation for you or some people as I often have at least anywhere between 5-6 "spare" complete groupsets and wheels sitting around that I can use for a build anytime.

Last edited by weisan; 11-13-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
Was this the eBay one? I so wanted to hit the buy it now button. I'm liking the idea of going all aftermarket. My vote is a Campy Chorus shifting, EE brakes, PMP seatpost, THM cranks, Tune hubs, etc.

If I was going to order my dream Slim it would have the Aqua Fade paint, a genuine Chris Ingleheart segmented fork and 54.5 TT. Unfortunately to get that would have been well out of my budget.
When I saw this on the Bay, my jaw hit the floor.
I contacted Chris Chance to verify the geometry and warranty and that’s all it took.
I’ll be building up a life long dream bike of mine.
Haven’t been this giddy about a build in 20 years.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
If I was going to order my dream Slim it would have the Aqua Fade paint, a genuine Chris Ingleheart segmented fork and 54.5 TT. Unfortunately to get that would have been well out of my budget.
When I saw this on the Bay, my jaw hit the floor.
I contacted Chris Chance to verify the geometry and warranty and that’s all it took.
I’ll be building up a life long dream bike of mine.
Haven’t been this giddy about a build in 20 years.
The first Fat City I saw in person was an Aqua Fade Yo Eddy at Dirty Harry's bike shop outside Pittsburgh. I couldn't get it at the time, but in the years since I've picked up a Yo Eddy from about the same vintage along with too many other bikes. I wish I could've found a home here for that Slim, but alas, the bike slush fund was empty. It's nice to see that it went to someone here. I met Chris a few months ago on a vintage mtn bike ride and got to demo the new 27.5+ Yo. Very nice. Be sure to post some pics after the build!
Old 11-14-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
.... Be sure to post some pics after the build!
Heck, I'd like some more frameset pics right now! That thing is beautiful. I think stem choice is more important than group, but with a black headset and post clamp I'd go black a'la pre-4 spoke Campy Record/Chorus.

Saw an original at a shop in Ft. Collins, CO a hundred years ago and was smitten, but was beyond my means at the time. The current XXL would fit me perfectly.

Last edited by donevwil; 11-14-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
So a few years back I got rid of all my road stuff as it wasn’t getting any use. I had a Raleigh Professional set up single speed for commuting and a 2004 or so Titus Modena with Campy Chorus.

I have a 1997 Fat Chance Yo Eddy Mtn and always wanted a Slim Chance Road.
Well this thing will be here soon and since I’ll be starting from scratch, I’m debating how to build it up.

I’m not in a hurry to build it, most likely be a winter project as I gather parts here and there and build up a set of wheels.
Originally I was leaning towards a Campy group mostly because that’s what I’ve used in the past and I do think it’s the best looking. Now I’m leaning a bit towards something like SRAM Force because of cost and availability.
Silver Potenza or Centaur...sweet..if you need wheels built, let me know.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:10 AM

Are you trying to keep it somewhat true to the era or use modern components?

Most of us will picture this bike with components of its time simply because that is how we saw them at that point in time. Such as a Mavis road group.
That doesn’t mean that you to stick with that. It would also look nice with the new black Ultegra group and black wheels.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewheels View Post
Are you trying to keep it somewhat true to the era or use modern components?

Most of us will picture this bike with components of its time simply because that is how we saw them at that point in time. Such as a Mavis road group.
That doesn’t mean that you to stick with that. It would also look nice with the new black Ultegra group and black wheels.
Its a new frame. The era is now.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Its a new frame. The era is now.

It is a new frame that just looks classic.

Why is SRAM junk? I’ve got 3 mountain bikes with SRAM and they’re all excellent.
For mountain I like SRAM over Shimano. My Haanjo grinder has a Force 10sp shifter mounted to a mountain RD. Works perfect.
I don’t have a lot of experience with Shimano Road. I hated how the cables used to stick out, but I believe that’s changed.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 AM

Alloy 10 Speed Campy, Centaur on up. Akelman's got some sweet kit on the block.