Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 09:00 PM
ergottWheels

Most hydro levers have a very different shape than their cable counterparts. They can even have different reaches in hood length do might feel odd. One solution if you can find it is the Sram hydro group that has a hydraulic rim caliper to use for the rear so you can use the same levers L/R
Old 09-16-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Most hydro levers have a very different shape than their cable counterparts. They can even have different reaches in hood length do might feel odd. One solution if you can find it is the Sram hydro group that has a hydraulic rim caliper to use for the rear so you can use the same levers L/R
Or just use cable pull disc brakes.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:06 AM

Fyxation Sparta is a straight steerer disc fork in TA or QR.
400mm Axle to Crown and 45mm rake.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:09 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Or just use cable pull disc brakes.
OP asked about hydro. Hydro for road is head and shoulders above cable.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
OP asked about hydro. Hydro for road is head and shoulders above cable.
Ah I missed that, and I agree.... its quite difficult on some older frames though. I've had a variety of cable pull disc brakes and with metallic pads they can work just fine, with the downside of the noise.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:03 PM

Thanks all for the responses!

I think I am going to pass on this project as it will have too many compromises for a bike that is perfect as is except I’d love it to have hydro disc brakes.

I am really enjoying the 2 bikes I own that have hydro disc brakes. I cannot imagine going back after spending a couple thousand miles with them.

Sounds crazy, but I may just sell my Ottrott. I know, blasphemous!!!

Again, thank you all for weighing in.

Steve
Old 09-16-2019, 06:10 PM
ergottWheels

For the Ottrott? I wouldn't do it either.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:40 PM

I wouldn’t consider turning an Ottrott into a mullet. Either ride it as is, or sell it. Given everything you’ve been through with that frame, I would think that it is worth more to you than what you would get for it if you were to sell it.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Thanks all for the responses!

I think I am going to pass on this project as it will have too many compromises for a bike that is perfect as is except I’d love it to have hydro disc brakes.

I am really enjoying the 2 bikes I own that have hydro disc brakes. I cannot imagine going back after spending a couple thousand miles with them.

Sounds crazy, but I may just sell my Ottrott. I know, blasphemous!!!

Again, thank you all for weighing in.

Steve
Keep your favorite classic bikes and ride them when the mood strikes.

I looked into doing the same and decided to keep my non disk bikes as is... Paul brakes still kick ass.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
I wouldn’t consider turning an Ottrott into a mullet. Either ride it as is, or sell it. Given everything you’ve been through with that frame, I would think that it is worth more to you than what you would get for it if you were to sell it.
i agree. i think it's reasonably established that the stiffness of a disc fork is different than a non-disk fork, and if the bike rides perfectly now, i wouldnt mess with it.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Again, thanks all for the positive responses!

Since retiring, moving to the beach, buying a pretty small condo, I only have room at any given time for 2 bikes. The third bike ( Ottrott) is sitting wrapped up tightly in a friends garage. Not convenient for me to just go grab it and ride it. It’s in a bunch of pieces as to give it a very small footprint.

Anyway, my buddy doesn’t care that it’s there. I am truly enjoying the other 2 bikes that are easily accessible so I’m not sure what to do with it. It’s a shame that it doesn’t get ridden, but by the same token, would I regret selling it?

Aren’t first world problems the worst?...
Old 09-16-2019, 07:22 PM

The Ritchey Outback has a straight steering tube and through axle as TR feels the front ends and tapered forks of modern frames are built too stiff with comfort and resilience suffering as a result, (my interpretation). 383 A-C. Have no idea if they’ll sell a fork separately. https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/outback-frameset

Last edited by pbarry; 09-16-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 PM

Perhaps - just perhaps - clever storage options might help? Even a storage unit rental? How high is your ceiling?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-...s-guide-326846

I have this one and love it. It can hold far more than they say; I hook front wheels and let my bikes hang. https://www.saris.com/product/cycleglidestorage-system - I did 'over engineer' their supplied hardware...

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garag...rage-products/

Just potential options... I liked the table with a bike... Clever...

There is no reason you couldn't use the saris ceiling bike solution and hang 2 bikes, and just 'cut' the rail short, then have a third bike lean against the wall underneath the two, or use bike stands to have two bikes opposing on the ground (only takes handle bar width, not much more) and then (again, with the saris) hang 1-2 bikes, again with opposing ends and you can fit 4 in a tiny space. It sounds crazy, but it works. Even removing pedals and bars... easy to put back on when you want that particular ride...
Best

Last edited by Dekonick; 09-16-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
Perhaps - just perhaps - clever storage options might help? Even a storage unit rental? How high is your ceiling?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-...s-guide-326846

I have this one and love it. It can hold far more than they say; I hook front wheels and let my bikes hang. https://www.saris.com/product/cycleglidestorage-system - I did 'over engineer' their supplied hardware...

https://www.familyhandyman.com/garag...rage-products/

Just potential options... I liked the table with a bike... Clever...

There is no reason you couldn't use the saris ceiling bike solution and hang 2 bikes, and just 'cut' the rail short, then have a third bike lean against the wall underneath the two, or use bike stands to have two bikes opposing on the ground (only takes handle bar width, not much more) and then (again, with the saris) hang 1-2 bikes, again with opposing ends and you can fit 4 in a tiny space. It sounds crazy, but it works.
Best
Thank you so much for putting so much thought into this!

I had a bike storage unit for a couple years that I rented from the county, held 2 bikes. We had a really wet winter last year and it leaked. Badly! I gave it up.

We have a shared garage, so that’s out.

Our building is very modern. Made up of high tension rods and concrete. Cannot drill into the ceiling. Big no no!

Www.azzurrahoa.com check it out.

Believe me when I tell you that we have exhausted all practical storage solutions. There are rental storage units in our building, but they are $100.00 a month. Doesn’t seem worth it to spend $1,200.00 a year to store one 12 year old bike that I’m not sure if I’ll ride again...

Again, thank you for the links and info.

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 09-16-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:22 PM

If this were your 595, I would say sell it (which you obviously must have already done). The thing about an Ottrott is, they are no longer made; no one will ever make a ti/carbon frame with all of the “complications” of an Ottrott; if you find an Ottrott that really suits you, it’s a thing of beauty (ride-wise); if you sell it, the chances of you finding another that matches it are low...

If you truly think that you’ll never go back to rim brakes, then it doesn’t name sense to keep it. But built up with lightweight tubulars, it should be around 15 lbs... it’s fun to ride a bike like that from time to time...