Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 10:09 PM

Sore neck during rides, what should I do?

my neck gets unbearably sore after about 30 miles, what are the things that I can do to reduce the pain? My necks are longer than usual so it leverages against my back creating more muscle strain comparing to someone with a shorter neck. Do I have to do some special neck exercises to strengthen my neck muscle specifically?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Yoga does wonders for flexibility and suppleness. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM

Sounds bike fit related.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Sounds bike fit related.
We dont need to end the thread here but if you have decent core strength, then this is your answer.

too far forward, too much bar drop, etc.

30 miles is a really short distance to have significant pain
Old 09-14-2019, 10:25 PM
The bass playing cyclist

You can make sure your bars are level with your saddle. Not a real popular riding position these days, but it’ll result in minimizing neck strain. I had the same issue but started riding more (two 50 mile rides a week) and my body eventually adapted. Still have some neck issues on longer rides but it’s no longer terrible. There’s only one sure fire way to get rid of neck issues, and I ride one of those too...a recumbent.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:56 PM

This a little odd advice, but if wearing glasses or sunglasses are you having to bring your head up more to see through them. If so, you need glasses that sit higher and have a higher lens so you don’t have to bend your neck up as High.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandcomm View Post
This a little odd advice, but if wearing glasses or sunglasses are you having to bring your head up more to see through them. If so, you need glasses that sit higher and have a higher lens so you don’t have to bend your neck up as High.
I HAVE to have my bars even higher now at my age and with an arthritic neck plus looking through corrective lenses. Try raising your bars a little at a time and see if the pain goes away.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:15 AM

OP do you have a picture of your ride?
Old 09-15-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Sounds bike fit related.
We dont need to end the thread here but if you have decent core strength, then this is your answer.

too far forward, too much bar drop, etc.

30 miles is a really short distance to have significant pain
^ This. As others have alluded to, it sounds like a range of motion issue. That is, the angle of your back (and arms) is such that your neck is past it’s comfortable range of motion, which is causing strain. It could come from your bars being too low, or having too much reach (e.g., drop could be ok, but frame is too big, stem/bar combo too long, of some combination of all of the above, etc.).

It’s nearly impossible to say over the internet what the exact cause is, and therefore how to fix it. Does it happen even if you are riding mostly in the tops/on the hoods? You should be able to ride comfortably in the drops without neck (and hip) strain, if not for your whole ride, then at least for as long as your longest descent, etc. As others have noted, wearing glasses that force you to tilt your head higher than you would otherwise have to could be, or could exacerbate, the problem.

If you haven’t had someone competent check your fit (or haven’t in a while), I would start there.

Last edited by happycampyer; 09-15-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:44 AM

When did this start? Does it hurt at 30 miles on hard rides or easy rides. My neck, among other things, used to hurt when 30 miles was a long ride.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:33 AM

Huge bump on this! I used to ride with glasses that sat low and had small lenses. Switched to giant lenses that road high and no longer had to arch neck up but could just rotate eyes up a bit. For those with prescriptions can get expensive to get nice sports glasses but check the threads here and you can find tips on saving money. I was shocked at how this change impacted my riding enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandcomm View Post
Old 09-15-2019, 06:48 AM

Upper back strengthening. My PT started with green bands in doorway.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Huge bump on this! I used to ride with glasses that sat low and had small lenses. Switched to giant lenses that road high and no longer had to arch neck up but could just rotate eyes up a bit. For those with prescriptions can get expensive to get nice sports glasses but check the threads here and you can find tips on saving money. I was shocked at how this change impacted my riding enjoyment.
+1 I also have had neck pain. Changed my fit around, but I always knew that it would be beneficial to have glasses without rims on the TOP of the lenses.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Backing everyone up with the glasses / accessories check just in case.

I have a favorite winter hat that's impossible on long rides...I have to overcompensate for an obstructive brim, causing neck strain.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:38 PM

Old school and still works for me, tilt your head to one side. The neck likes that better than going straight back.