Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 11:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwurst View Post
You do in Wisconsin. If a car gets sold 10 times taxes are paid 10 times. Tax based on 5.5% of the amount of sale.
Now I remember why, after I got the guys $3k in cash, I made a bill of sale for $250.....For that truck..
Old 09-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Growing up in NH and watching everyone from everywhere else buy their booze, cigarettes, and large ticket items just over the border makes me wonder if someone in the few tax free states will open a buying and forwarding business? Sort of like those forwarding businesses for overseas buyers.
Yes, this is what I want, a trackable record of my tax evasion. If you buy something in Oregon and take it home to Washington, you are required to report it and pay the sales tax. Few people do, but if it there was a business aiding and abetting it would be a gold mine for the Washington authorities.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
I don’t really use eBay any longer. The amount they charge and the complete rip of it is to ship items (yes bike flights is great for bike gear) makes it not even worth it as a seller. Now paying tax on used

No eBay for me.
Agree. Between eBay fees and PayPal fees. It's a joke. I haven't seen taxes charged yet on what and I'm in Florida. I have been using Facebook and the forums if I need to sell anything.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW2Ford View Post
Yes, this is what I want, a trackable record of my tax evasion. If you buy something in Oregon and take it home to Washington, you are required to report it and pay the sales tax. Few people do, but if it there was a business aiding and abetting it would be a gold mine for the Washington authorities.
So why isn’t Mass., Maine, and Vermont suing non-NH residents for all that lost revenue? There’s a record of every sale...

Last edited by dustyrider; 09-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:56 PM

"So why isn’t Mass., Maine, and Vermont suing non-NH residents for all that lost revenue? There’s a record of every sale..."

because it ain't worth their time for most things...Vermonters driving over to buy a 12 pack or whatever simply isn't a thing that would generate any cash...no worries tho, all three of those states tax your ass for things you wouldn't believe otherwise when you live here...they get their money for sure...
Old 09-15-2019, 06:25 PM

eBay sales tax collection rules & rates

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fe...=4121#section4
Old 09-15-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Growing up in NH and watching everyone from everywhere else buy their booze, cigarettes, and large ticket items just over the border makes me wonder if someone in the few tax free states will open a buying and forwarding business? Sort of like those forwarding businesses for overseas buyers.
The former CEO of my Corporation (Dennis Koslowski of Tyco International) got caught up in deal something like this. He bought some expensive art in New York (several million dollars) which he was (supposedly) going to display in in his New Hampshire residence, so he didn't pay any sales (New York has a sales tax, but New Hampshire does not). But instead of having teh art shipped to his New Hampshire residence, he a had empty crates shipped in its place (which were claimed to be containing the art), and instead diverted the art to his New York City penthouse apartment.

On a tip, the New York Attorney General investigated this, and began a criminal prosecution against Kosloski for tax evasion. This happened about 15 years ago. Koslowski got out of prison just a couple of years ago.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
So why isn’t Mass., Maine, and Vermont suing non-NH residents for all that lost revenue? There’s a record of every sale...
They could, but it would take a lot of resources to go after every single individual to recover small amounts of tax from each one, so it is not worth their while. Which is why in most states, the buyers are required to act as the agent of the state, and collect the sales taxes on each purchase - there are far fewer retailers than their are customers, plus the state has leverage over the retailers because they must be licensed by the state to operate.

If there were a re-shipping operation that re-shipped a large volume of products, it would cost the state far less to after (and prosecute) the re-shipper than to go after each individual buyer, so the state would likely go after the re-shippers to shut them down (and probably jail them). Being a re-shipper would probably be too risky for any one to do it for long.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:49 AM

I found this out the hard way recently when an eBay buyer didn’t want to pay me because he was charged tax. This is terrible for these states.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:03 AM

I can't help but think that bay's sales will suffer because of their now charging sales tax and use tax. I recently purchased something on eBay from a company that does not have a location in Virginia (my home state) and was charged sales tax. next time I will contact the company directly as I do not think they will charge me sales tax for the shipment.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
I can't help but think that bay's sales will suffer because of their now charging sales tax and use tax. I recently purchased something on eBay from a company that does not have a location in Virginia (my home state) and was charged sales tax. next time I will contact the company directly as I do not think they will charge me sales tax for the shipment.
Ebay sales 'may' suffer but ebay sure isn't making any money from this..probably costing them money. It's the states and general crackdown on internet sales..ebay just happens to be the big boy. I'm not a ebay fanboy, don't have stock in ebay(is there such a thing?) but they are just collecting it..like I did in retail, and sending it along.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ebay sales 'may' suffer but ebay sure isn't making any money from this..probably costing them money. It's the states and general crackdown on internet sales..ebay just happens to be the big boy. I'm not a ebay fanboy, don't have stock in ebay(is there such a thing?) but they are just collecting it..like I did in retail, and sending it along.
^ This. As Ralph and a few others had noted, eBay is doing this because they are required to. And as OP says, it probably costs eBay a fair penny to keep track of all of this. eBay is big enough that they can, and states would go after them if they didn’t.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:46 AM

Sales tax is a transactional tax calculated on the price of the item being transacted. Of course used items are taxed. Do you get tax free purchases at an antique shop or a thrift shop??
Old 09-16-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Sales tax is a transactional tax calculated on the price of the item being transacted. Of course used items are taxed. Do you get tax free purchases at an antique shop or a thrift shop??
Nope but those are a business. Big difference vs selling a used bike as a private person. At least from my point of view.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Sure, but I still think of eBay as a site that facilitates private transactions; though I know that would be hard for them to separate.

The difference being (in my mind...) that a thrift shop runs a business who’s revenue is based on sales; so they collect sales tax; vs if I sell you a crank set I have in my basement as part of a hobby.

I get it though; we’re not going back from where we are.