Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 02:32 PM

So ebay is charging taxes in my state now...

Noticed a few days ago that the number did not match after I got something at the bay. Suckers finally charging taxes for VA.... Wonder how much it will affect them now, asking this because probably in other type of goods is not like a big deal.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:44 PM
aka RAEKWON

same here in NY. A couple of times I thought a great deal but not so good after taxes. A bunch more states will join the party next month.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Randomhead

I just saw that on an item that's shipping from China. I take it that ebay is paying the taxes, because the people in China would just keep it.

Just wait until shipping triples because the US is pulling out of the international shipping treaty.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:10 PM

I get paying taxes on new purchases but the taxes on used items annoy me. The tax has lowered a few of my max bids as result on few items. Oh well, life will go on.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:20 PM

I did not know about that, will be interesting to check how it will develop specially with china itself because that will mess them up. Will create an even bigger overstock of &^&#&$#& for them and devaluating the coin is not going to help them at all unless the gvmt give the manufacturing sector free whipping of their stuff. Will be interesting to see what the chinese will do tho.

At the opposite side, locally that would create an incentive for entrepreneurs to produce or comeback to produce stuff locally and actually compete with the chinese in the same products.

From the cycling world, Park will have problems with that, chinese made park is not even close to the old american made park tho.

That will be interesting to see how it develops.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Big Bike Love

I just had a buyer email and want to cancel a transaction on eBay after seeing the taxes added on to the price. Oh well..
Old 09-14-2019, 03:36 PM

I'm wondering why they can charge tax on used items. How many times can the same item be taxed?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Who imposes/charges the taxes; eBay on all sales by all sellers in a tax-charging state or the individual seller? Is it an "eBay store" versus "little side-venture not making/declaring profits" thing, or do they now have to charge taxes too?

It sounds like it could be a book-keeping nightmare and expense if "mom and pop" operations are also affected.

Between this and increased shipping costs (+ generally less reliable delivery) I wonder how many small, very marginal sellers will be negatively affected now.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
I'm wondering why they can charge tax on used items. How many times can the same item be taxed?
Used items too??? Yes, how is that possible?
Old 09-14-2019, 03:52 PM

Yeah I was surprised as well, I recently bought a Power Meter off eBay and was surprised and disappointed with the final invoice, I was like where did that number come from?...
Maybe it will help small LBS's
Old 09-14-2019, 04:08 PM

Yeah; I am in VA also. They have been charging tax for at least the last month. Makes me consider my max bids now that I have to allocate tax.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Ebay has been charging and collecting Goods and Services Tax (at 10%) on all overseas purchases from Australia since 1 July 2017. Prior to that GST was only charged on purchases overs $1k. The golden age for buying gear from overseas ended on that day
Old 09-14-2019, 04:58 PM

I don’t really use eBay any longer. The amount they charge and the complete rip of it is to ship items (yes bike flights is great for bike gear) makes it not even worth it as a seller. Now paying tax on used

No eBay for me.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:05 PM

I think this has to do with Amazon (and B&H and others) having to also charge tax on all online sales, as Walmart has been heavily lobbying for. Gone are the days of ordering $2K of photo gear to a pickup spot in NJ across the river to save $200. Can't say I'm surprised or even angry.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Small ring

I would guess it has to do with the volume the seller does. My wife sells under my name on eBay, and does not have to charge sales tax until her income is such that it qualifies for IRS laws.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:48 PM

I think it's more accurate to say they are being forced to collect taxes for your state.

Agree about taxes on used items from people not really in business....don't seem right.