Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Having driven on some similar concrete with added texture roads in central Mexico, let me say that the texture is nice. It’s unnerving when your vehicle is still sliding downhill despite full application of the brake.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM

Years ago after the infamous Angeles Forest fires, Caltrans repaved highway 2. I remember climbing up to Clear Creek after work, and hitting 50mph on the descent without pedaling. It was butter smooth. I then saw them ripping that smooth pavement up for the current chip seal gravel style road. I stopped and asked the CHP why it was happening. He stated there were numerous cars going off of the road after the smooth pavement was laid down. Cars simply couldn't stop on the smooth stuff. BUMMER!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Today's stage took the Ruban Jaune, at 50.63 km/hr over 219.6 km: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruban_Jaune.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Viva Chamucos

Ruban Jaune. That is some really obscure knowledge. Learn something new everyday here.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 AM

The ultimate Strava KOM.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 AM

Yesterday's stage is yet another reason why the Vuelta is consistently the best stage race of the year. Take what should be a relatively flat sprinter's stage and add a little wind and voila! As fast as the stage was, the entirety of the Vuelta has been fast....and Movistar was playing chess as their GC opponents were left playing checkers....
Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Movistar is in a position to win considering they have 2 wildcards to possibly win. I would keep trying to stick either guy in a break, and using their team to soften up the peloton. It drives me wild to see team think they'll be able to gain 2min deficit in the last 3k of a race.

Yesterday showed you how you bring back time. You get in the break!
Old 09-12-2019, 11:36 AM

I don't think the top riders are that concerned about Quintana. I am guessing he will lose time on Saturday.

I don't think Movistar has a chance of winning unless there was a bad crash.

Jeff
Old 09-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post

Jeff
Agreed. There's always so much talk about Movistar's tactics, but depth and tactics can't make up for strength. Valverde is consistent and very strong, but has never been in the highest tier of GC riders. Quintana used to be the best climber in the world who would struggle in time trials, but for the past few years, he's been a solid climber, but not the best, and his time trial hasn't gotten any better.

Roglic has clearly been stronger than anyone on Movistar so far, and all the tactics in the world won't help if you can't climb faster.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Agreed. There's always so much talk about Movistar's tactics, but depth and tactics can't make up for strength. Valverde is consistent and very strong, but has never been in the highest tier of GC riders. Quintana used to be the best climber in the world who would struggle in time trials, but for the past few years, he's been a solid climber, but not the best, and his time trial hasn't gotten any better.

Roglic has clearly been stronger than anyone on Movistar so far, and all the tactics in the world won't help if you can't climb faster.
100% agree.. I've yet to see someone make up 2min in a race to win, unless there was a crash and the front field kept the foot on the gas. This race was perfect for Roglic, and Jumbo and he agreed to skip the Tour and target this race.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I don't think the top riders are that concerned about Quintana. I am guessing he will lose time on Saturday.

Jeff
If Jumbo was actually worried about Quintana, they would have pulled back another minute or so in the wind yesterday.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:14 PM

I would have disagree, Jumbo pulled as hard as they could, in fact with 40k to go the were all blown out of the front group, and Roglic was left isolated, VERY lucky for him Lopez also missed the move and Astana had their whole team pulling very hard for the last hour + of the race, if not for that Quintana would have taken the jersey.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:27 PM

That seems to be what the commentators are saying... Astana basically saved the day because Lopez was in that group. Astana was saving his podium place and no way Movistar was going to get on the front of that with a potential red jersey in grasp. I wish that would have happened to make an interesting last few stages. Change the Quintana narrative.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Happy to see EF get the win today
Old 09-12-2019, 01:41 PM

Other GC were dropped, including Tadej Pogačar (UAE-Team Emirates), Nairo Quintana (Team Movistar), and Carl Fredrik Hagen (Lotto-Soudal).

Roglic crossed the line 1:01 ahead of Quintana and Pogačar, reshuffling the battle for the overall. Quintana fell to third place overall and Pogačar fell to fifth.