Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 05:12 PM

honestly dont mean to sound too curmudgeon here...not at all as whatever you dig you dig...and I can appreciate folks needing certain things...but having never owned a smart phone or mobile or otherwise, I don't get the differences as slight as they seem...opening garage doors? seriously?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Apple Watch

Misplaced. My bad

Last edited by Jeff Weir; 09-15-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 09-15-2019, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Unless I’m misreading Williams original question; I do not believe you can just buy an Apple Watch as a stand alone unit without pairing it with an iPhone
Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 PM

Yep

Correct
Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 PM

The Apple watch is a waste of money and time, imho. The iPhone is decent, as are the equivalent Samsung models. I believe the Samsung, the 9 in particular, has better battery life than the iPhone. In fact much better. But both do a good job.

I have the iPhone 6 which has served me well. Its probably time I upgrade since its a bit long in the tooth.

For a watch, the Garmin watches are very good. I have the 920 XT and love it. If you swim, it has the best swimming function on the market, bar none.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
The iPhone 11 and 11 pro were just announced and is being released on 9/20. If you don’t care about a brand new phone, you can probably find a used Xs fairly inexpensively next week. I typically upgrade every other generation of phones and sell my old one. I’m keeping my X until Apple releases a 5g phone, presumably this upcoming spring.
I don't care about the latest cool kid phone, so the Xs is as future proof as I'll need it to be. It will definitely come down in price, and hopefully Apple restocks it. Otherwise, maybe a retailer will unload some at a good deal.

I bought a 6s refurb years ago from an eBay seller, and the battery life was terrible. Nothing I did improved it, and after looking into the matter, I found that a large amount of 6s phones had defective batteries. Getting it replaced was an option, but I replaced it with an SE. So, refurbs aren't really a direction I want to go.

On topic, Apple watch appeals to me for use in place of a cycle computer, and to use while running - heart rate, Spotify, Strava etc...Has anyone used one for these purposes? To that end, there other options for smart watches, and thus begins the search. Someone was selling a Garmin Fenix on here a while back that I considered.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:37 AM

I've had a series two watch for a couple years now and really like it. biggest complaint is having to charge it almost every day. favorite part is actually that weather is right on the face of it. it is also quite handy on rides to be able to make a quick text via voice without having to dig my phone out of my pocket and waterproof pouch. I use it with Strava for off-road riding when I wouldn't want to look at a computer anyway. it would be cool to take it and not my phone on rides, but I don't have the cellular watch; it's more expensive than the standard one plus you have to pay cellular fees for it too. don't want it that badly. actually to clarify: I could take the watch and not the phone on rides, and use it as a ride tracker via GPS (I do this for cross racing in fact). but I wouldn't have call/text/etc functionality.

as for which smartphone to get... they all basically do the same stuff. some people don't get on well with the iPhone or dislike Apple for some reason, and vice-versa with Android/etc. some people switch and are happy. if you're not in love with your Samsung, no harm in giving iPhone a shot.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post

I’m getting rather tired of chasing new tech. I’ve been wondering lately what’s the point.

+1 for this sentiment. Does this make me sound old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
I'd like to upgrade to an Xs from my SE, but Apple currently isn't selling them, only the Xr and suggests a reseller. Weird, since they still sell the 8. Maybe they're just sold out for the time being.

I wanted an XS as well and went to upgrade my 5se last week at AT&T and they indicated XS is available until they run out and then they are done selling. I ended up with an XR b/c price was significantly less for similar function.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetuximab View Post
When I am on call, I wear my Apple Watch. It’s waterproof, so I can wear it surfing, swimming and kayaking. The iPhone is waterproof, but it’s easier to just leave it in the car.

I like the EKG functionality on the series 4. I occasionally get a junctional rhythm. It is a satisfying in a nerdy way to see the waveform. The watch plus an app gives you a lead I EKG tracing.

At the time I posted I wasn't sure if you could use the Apple watch as a stand alone or if you had to have the iPhone as well to use it.

Honestly that would be the main function I would want to use it for. The rest is just bonus. The Garmin, Samsung, and fitbit all have heart rate monitoring but I don't see anything like the EKG functionality (at least that I can see so far).

W.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:34 PM

none of the above.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
At the time I posted I wasn't sure if you could use the Apple watch as a stand alone or if you had to have the iPhone as well to use it.

Honestly that would be the main function I would want to use it for. The rest is just bonus. The Garmin, Samsung, and fitbit all have heart rate monitoring but I don't see anything like the EKG functionality (at least that I can see so far).

W.
you'll need an iphone to setup and update the watch, but do not require a phone for continual function.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderalow View Post
you'll need an iphone to setup and update the watch, but do not require a phone for continual function.
You do though, unless you get the wifi version of the watch/plan, to update software, apps, manage faces, etc. In fact you might still need it for those things regardless.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I wanted an XS as well and went to upgrade my 5se last week at AT&T and they indicated XS is available until they run out and then they are done selling. I ended up with an XR b/c price was significantly less for similar function.

Ah, that's what's going on then. Thanks for the info. Looks like new Xs phones are spoken for, and even the "renewed" ones, Amazon is calling them, are still up there in price. At $649 for the 128g Xr, that might be my phone. Apple says they'll give me $45 for my working SE. If they do, that will pay for tax.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:45 PM

I am still rocking an iPhone SE and working like a champ. It cost $160. I just cannot yet get into a smart watch. It seems to be to be too much connectivity if you know what I mean.