Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Creaking B.B. BB30 is this a sign of the end??

Wife's bike is a 2016 Specialized Diverge with a FSA SL-K Light and a BB30. On a ride today BB began creaking. It appears the BB bearings are pressed in so I'm not sure about the repair options. I'm an experienced mechanic but no experience with BB30 or any press fit (i'm intentionally avoided them).

Curious from forumites if the creaking is typically the end for the BB bearings. And whether it is fatal or not, what are the options? I am surprised, this bike has not seen any fowl weather. Is BB30 still a thing or has the industry moved on to something new?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM

Clips hold the bearings in and the bearings come right out. Easy-peasy.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:44 PM

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...t-service-bb30

Park Tool has a good primer on BB30 bearing replacement. With the right tools, it's very quick and easy. My experience with two BB30 Cannondales (a CAAD9 and a CAAD10) has been very positive. The OEM bearings lasted ~3-5 seasons depending on amount of use and weather. I replaced the bearings with Enduro angular contact bearings from Wheels Manufacturing. The Enduro bearings have proven to be very durable so far.

Greg

Last edited by GregL; 09-15-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 PM

If you're worried about the longevity of replacement bearings, now might be a good time to get a threaded adapter sleeve. Some install by thread and lock, some glue.
The only BB30 BB I have, has a KCNC BB30 to GXP since new. I've never heard a peep. And, it was my go fast bike when I was able to go fast.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
If you're worried about the longevity of replacement bearings, now might be a good time to get a threaded adapter sleeve. Some install by thread and lock, some glue.
The only BB30 BB I have, has a KCNC BB30 to GXP since new. I've never heard a peep. And, it was my go fast bike when I was able to go fast.
https://www.enduroforkseals.com/prod...ttom-brackets/

I've used these in all the bikes I can. They're really good.

That said - I have had a number of BB30 specialized frames that have been creak and trouble free for a number of years - they seem to have better factory QC about getting the cups round & parallel. I recently had what I thought was a BB creak from my Crux and my LBS identified it as a seatpost creak, instead.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:50 AM

Do you guys prefer Threaded bb’s like the HollowTechs?

Specialized is converting to them now
Old 09-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Building a Time

Agreed. I replaced my BB30 with threaded sleeve BB by Wheels Manufacturing. Follow the guidance and say goodbye to those creaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Old 09-16-2019, 03:27 PM
mentholated

the osbb in my alloy crux never made a peep and i think its due to using silver grade antiseize inside the shell and on the outside of the bearings where they made contact with the shell. i also used sworks cranks and didnt use fsa cranks.
threaded systems might be easier to service but bb30 is not some evil standard that everyone makes it out to be.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 PM

Search youtube for BB30. Lots of vids of potential causes such as bad tolerances on the bearings, or BB bearing surface, BB alignment.... The BB30 on my cross bike starts making noise after about 15-20 miles of dusty trail. A good washing will get rid of it for a while.