Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 06:55 AM

HED has a Black Friday sale on now:

https://hedcycling.com/?utm_source=H...eid=d6074b99e9

Tim
Old 11-26-2021, 09:29 AM

Jom at the Gravel Cyclist has reviews of Boyd's CCC and Hed's Emporia Pro wheelsets. He likes them both.

https://www.gravelcyclist.com/bwg_ga...o-review-2021/

https://www.gravelcyclist.com/videos...alloy-for-700/
Old 11-26-2021, 12:04 PM

I just built up a Hed Belgium + front wheel. It was a real joy to work with.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
HED, no question about it.

I've had some "issues" Boyd. Do not want to elaborate too much but I would go with HED every single time. Own a pair of HED carbon fat bike wheelset. They have been superb. And every time I call HED to ask them technical questions on their rims/hubs, the CS experience has been exemplary.
Please elaborate. PM me if you wish to share in a non-public manner.

Thx
Old 11-26-2021, 08:10 PM

All of my HED experiences (four wheelsets) have been perfect. Fast, light, and comfortable. Not cheap, but I feel worth the price. That's my experience. Never had experience with Boyd, so don't have any opinions on them.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:44 PM

My only issue with multiple pairs of current version HED Ardennes is that they are nearly impossible to mount tires on.

Great wheels once/if you can get rubber on them.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:10 PM

I have a set of Boyd Disc Altamonts and 60mm rim brake wheels. They've been great, with no issues whatsoever, smooth bearings, and a great braking surface on the carbon rim.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerJRP View Post
My only issue with multiple pairs of current version HED Ardennes is that they are nearly impossible to mount tires on.

Great wheels once/if you can get rubber on them.
I have a new set of Ardennes Ra Performance disc wheels. I find them no more difficult to mount tires than other tubeless ready wheels I have. There are some tires that I have given up on because they are too difficult to mount, not wheel specific.

I will mount new tires, with tubes, on an old set of clincher wheels that have always been easy to mount tires on. Inflate them to max and leave over night. IMO, that stretches/loosens the tire and eases the installation on the intended wheels. I have never done tubeless, so I do not know if the same can be done with them, including the tubes. I guess it depends on the bead of tires and wheels.

I like my Ardennes so much that I want to purchase a set of clincher Ardennes Pro. They are on sale right now. I do not need them, but I sure do want them.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:59 AM

I have three sets of Boyd Altamont Lites and they’ve all been flawless. Just solid, trouble-free daily wheels, which was exactly what I wanted.

Satisfied customer.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:40 AM

Waiting for it to warm up a bit before I head out for a ride, I share w you all, some info on the two wheelsets under consideration.

The two wheels are pretty similar. Based on my experience with a set of Boyd carbon rim brake wheels and the hooked (vs Hed's hookless rim,) I'm leaning toward the Boyd wheels.

Sorry about the garbled layout, things were better aligned as I composed the message.

In summary, rim sizes ate almost identical, Boyds are 155gms lighter and come with tubeless tape and valves installed.
Heds cost less and have fewer lacing and spoke options.
Boyd rims have hooks, Heds are hookless. Heds ship today and Boyds require a 5-6 week wait.

Doubt you can wrong with either one.

Boyd CCC Hed Emporia GA3

Price $544 $525 (BikeTiresDirect.com)
Shipping $30 Free

Availability 5-6 weeks Now

Rim bead Hooked Hookless

Drilling- FR 24-28 24
Rear 28-32 24

Int width 25 25
Ext width 29 30
Depth 23 24

Spokes Pillar Wing 20 Sapin Sprint
Lacing Fr 2x 2x
Rear 2x 2x
3x on 32 hole

Weight-FR 690gms 760gms
Rear 825gms 910gms
Total 1515gms 1670gms

Rim 415gms 468gms

Boyd wheels come with tubeless tape and valves installed, Heds do not include either of these.

Last edited by sjbraun; 11-27-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:06 AM
Post Mod-ern

I've had exactly the opposite experience . . .

I reached out to HED mutliple times via email through their website about five years ago to ask about purchasing a replacement rim for my Ardennes when one cracked. Never got a response. Some months later at a show ran into the HED rep and he said to email him personally and he'd help me out. Emailed him at his personal address multiple times, never got any response.

In contrast, I have had a pair of Boyd 60mm carbons for over 6 years ago and got a pair of the 40mm rim brake carbons last winter. No issues with the wheels, never any trouble reaching support with questions. Several times Boyd himself answered the phone and he participates on this forum as coachboyd . . . PM him and see if you get an answer.

No contest, I'd buy more Boyds in a split second.

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
HED, no question about it.

I've had some "issues" Boyd. Do not want to elaborate too much but I would go with HED every single time. Own a pair of HED carbon fat bike wheelset. They have been superb. And every time I call HED to ask them technical questions on their rims/hubs, the CS experience has been exemplary.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 11-27-2021, 10:17 AM

Your list looks good, however the Hed's are not hookless rims. Not sure if that plays a factor in your decision but they are hooked just like the Boyd's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Waiting for it to warm up a bit before I head out for a ride, I share w you all, some info on the two wheelsets under consideration.

The two wheels are pretty similar. Based on my experience with a set of Boyd carbon rim brake wheels and the hooked (vs Hed's hookless rim,) I'm leaning toward the Boyd wheels.

Sorry about the garbled layout, things were better aligned as I composed the message.

In summary, rim sizes ate almost identical, Boyds are 155gms lighter and come with tubeless tape and valves installed.
Heds cost less and have fewer lacing and spoke options.
Boyd rims have hooks, Heds are hookless. Heds ship today and Boyds require a 5-6 week wait.

Doubt you can wrong with either one.

Boyd CCC Hed Emporia GA3

Price $544 $525 (BikeTiresDirect.com)
Shipping $30 Free

Availability 5-6 weeks Now

Rim bead Hooked Hookless

Drilling- FR 24-28 24
Rear 28-32 24

Int width 25 25
Ext width 29 30
Depth 23 24

Spokes Pillar Wing 20 Sapin Sprint
Lacing Fr 2x 2x
Rear 2x 2x
3x on 32 hole

Weight-FR 690gms 760gms
Rear 825gms 910gms
Total 1515gms 1670gms

Rim 415gms 468gms

Boyd wheels come with tubeless tape and valves installed, Heds do not include either of these.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:28 AM

I had a poor experience with HED customer service. Weeks with no replies to calls and emails. Ultimately, my request to buy spare parts for a rear hub assembly went unresolved. Gave up. Not a fan and I will not buy again.

Outstanding experience with Boyd. I have a set of carbon clinchers. Boyd was awesome when I trashed one of them. Boyd rebuilt it for me at a modest price under their warranty program even though I bought the wheels used. Stand up co. Also have a couple sets of Altamonts, which ride well and have been trouble free.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:35 AM
Post Mod-ern

Echoes my experience . . .

. . . with both HED and Boyd.

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I had a poor experience with HED customer service. Weeks with no replies to calls and emails. Ultimately, my request to buy spare parts for a rear hub assembly went unresolved. Gave up. Not a fan and I will not buy again.

Outstanding experience with Boyd. I have a set of carbon clinchers. Boyd was awesome when I trashed one of them. Boyd rebuilt it for me at a modest price under their warranty program even though I bought the wheels used. Stand up co. Also have a couple sets of Altamonts, which ride well and have been trouble free.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 11-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Riding Along

One set of wheels is HED and shoulders better than the other. Trust the collective. TBH you will get a good set of wheels from both makers.