Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2023, 08:42 AM

Anyone try Coefficient bars?

Tripped over a youtube fitter video on these : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_m1pVCsYng

They look interesting. If you don't have time to watch the video, the reverse sweep puts wrists into a more neutral position on the tops, and also much narrower elbows, so more aero. Seems like a great idea, but really expensive. https://coefficientcycling.com/en-au...s/all-products. The rr version is over 600, the ar version over 5. But...this appears to be the same as the ar version for $50 on ali. Out of stock in the 38 at the moment, so not for me yet, but curious if anyone has tried either version of these and has any feedback.

[https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...000000908290_8
Old 03-16-2023, 08:56 AM

I haven't tried them, but have looked into them a bit over the last year. I don't spend much time on the "tops", so the AR version isn't of interest to me, as that is their main design attribute. The RR version is interesting to me, largely for the increased knee room and potential for "puppy paws" position. However, it seems like they're missing the mark on the RR version by not offering a narrower version, as they're clearly targeting the aero crowd, and a 34cm or 36cm version would be interesting to that crowd.
For $50 I'd give the AliE ones a try...
I've been known to throw money at handlebars/wheels/shoes/bikes, but $700 for a bar is a bit extreme... (as I eyeball the new Black Inc integrated aero $800 setup... hahah)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:04 AM

I think you’re looking at AU$? I just got a pair of the AR bars off their site for $350. It’s a lot but there’s a lot going on with these bars.

The shop is currently putting them on. I’ll let you know how they work out.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:09 AM

I have a pair of the RR sitting on my shelf but no bike that it seems appropriate to mount them on.. might try on my Dogma - that’s weird enough for them to look right with, ya?
Old 03-16-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I think you’re looking at AU$? I just got a pair of the AR bars off their site for $350. It’s a lot but there’s a lot going on with these bars.

The shop is currently putting them on. I’ll let you know how they work out.
Haha... yup. Clicked the link in the OP and thought to myself, "I swear I looked at these last week and they were like $400 all in?" That helps a ton...

Clean, I think the Pinarello might be the most fitting bike out there for these bars, Bianchi Arcadex not included... Ha. I could get over the looks if they feel right though.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:15 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I think the design is meant for you to use the tops more, now that they are more aero and comfortable. They’re addressing the reason why people don’t use the tops all that much.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:59 AM

I could see that being the aim for some people certainly. I don't use the tops, not out of wrist/hand discomfort, but as a result of where it puts my back/shoulders in such an upright position.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:13 AM

Good thread on ww on these, people are critical of the "aero" position, but then again, its not meant to be a tt bar, its just a sorta safer puppy paws.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:15 AM

I put a set of RR on mid-summer. My primary focus was to see if they could help with some emerging hand/wrist arthritis issues. At my speeds an aero bar is not going to contribute a whole lot

I really like them. Multiple hand positions around the hoods/curve and there's a really nice place for the base of my thumb to nestle into when at the curve. Reminds me a bit of my Thomson KFC bars for that.

The flat tops with the angles work just like Neil Stansbury comments (loved when my choices are confirmed by others , and btw, he is a really impressive fitter who communicates extremely well). Drops feel "right;" the faux puppy paws position around the computer mount is ok, but I would actually like that to be a bit longer from the stem clamp area.

I have my disc hydro cables run externally; I do have a piece of Jagwire compressionless mechanical shift cable run through the bars, and then using Jagwire links outside the bars, but sheesh, What a challenge to get cables through the bars.! And that's trying to use the pre-installed guide liners they have. I'm just really happy I'm not trying to run stuff through the head tube too!

Mine are on my very conventional round-tubed ti Alliance (sorry, no pic with the new bars on). Do they look a little wonky? Maybe, but not a big deal to me. I'm happy with the RR, and chose that over the AR for the flat tops and integrated computer mount.

Last edited by teleguy57; 03-16-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:25 AM

I don't have all the info, but a guy in my town crashed last weekend and mentioned these bars breaking. I don't know if the bars broke during the crash or they broke first and caused the crash. He also said a second person went down and had the same bars and they were broken as well. Again, not sure if caused by the crash or already broken.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:35 AM

I was also intrugued by the tops position as per Neill Stanbury's review... and looks the the deda gera alu has similar tops - angled back and down to help with wrist angle
Old 03-16-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiminVA View Post
I don't have all the info, but a guy in my town crashed last weekend and mentioned these bars breaking. I don't know if the bars broke during the crash or they broke first and caused the crash. He also said a second person went down and had the same bars and they were broken as well. Again, not sure if caused by the crash or already broken.
I don't doubt that carbon stuff breaks in crashes. Well know thing. Carbon toptubes are known to break if a bike falls over against an edge.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:59 PM
Deconditioned!

I have a new build that I'd like to try them on. Time will tell.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I think the design is meant for you to use the tops more, now that they are more aero and comfortable. They’re addressing the reason why people don’t use the tops all that much.
well, aside from aero and comfort, there's no shifting or braking from the tops -- I think that may be some of the reason.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:32 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
well, aside from aero and comfort, there's no shifting or braking from the tops -- I think that may be some of the reason.
Pwahaha. Completely fair, I honestly hadn’t thought of that.