Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 12:41 PM

Tacx Neo 2t with Shimano 7 speed do-able?

I'm pondering the notion of buying a Tacx Neo 2t to replace my 20 year old computrainer I bought new. I use the Computrainer exclusively for Zwift at this point 4 or 5 times a week through the winter. It's been amazingly durable, I almost feel guilty replacing it. Problem is for the most part I've always used a 1989 ish 7 speed Shimano STS Serotta Colorado on the Computrainer, old steel bike that's already been through the wringer. Works great for that. But I've noticed Tacx spec's 8-10 speed shimano being compatible. It looks like I could find a 7 speed Shimano Cassette pretty easily to mount on the Neo but the million dollar question is if it can be made to work / shift properly? I'm 99% certain the rear dropout spacing is 126mm being late 80's but I haven't actually measured. But I've always heard you can pretty much spread the dropouts by hand enough to fit 130mm. No idea if that is true. But I figure if true and I can get dropouts spread and on the Neo I would only take the bike off to change the cassette as necessary. Anyone have any thoughts / advice? Silly or not if I can't use the Colorado on the Neo I'll probably just soldier on with the Computrainer till it dies. I just hate putting one of my newer bikes on a trainer in general. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:57 PM

Used an 87 Centurion Iron Man on my Neo 2T, no problem asking the dropouts to spread 2mm per side to install. That bike had 9 speed but the 2T doesn’t care how many gears you have or use. Just put a 4.5mm spacer behind the cassette, trim everything up and have fun.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:58 PM

No problem using 7 speed, but you will need some spacers behind the cassette to take up some space. Probably will need to do trial and error to get it right. Im using 9 speed shimano on mine.
You might ask on the Neo facebook page as someone may know the exact amount of spacers you need.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:17 PM

Does the serotta have downtube shifters? It wouldn't be too difficult to swap the right one for an 8 or 9 speed one. Extra gears and no spacers required on the trainer.

The SIS rear derailleur works just as well 8, 9, or even 10 speed.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
Does the serotta have downtube shifters? It wouldn't be too difficult to swap the right one for an 8 or 9 speed one. Extra gears and no spacers required on the trainer.

The SIS rear derailleur works just as well 8, 9, or even 10 speed.
8&9 speed cassettes also require backing spacers on the cassette. Not sure about 10 speed.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
8&9 speed cassettes also require backing spacers on the cassette. Not sure about 10 speed.
Right, duh. The freehub body does 11 and presumably 12 speed. My mistake. 10 would also need a spacer.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:42 PM

Thanks guys, awesome. rccardr mentioned a 4.5mm in spacer so I'd start with that. Should that do it by itself? The bike does have downtube shifters, they are the original Shimano 7 speed indexed shifters, state of the art back then. I remember how excited I was when I bought the bike. 12 speeds, who'd have thunk it.

I guess the only other question is I really don't dislike my Computrainer, it's like an old friend. Being magnet based, I've read that the ride characteristics hold up quite well against the newer direct drive trainers. But not having to deal with the rear wheel and tire sure would be nice. Any thoughts on that aspect? Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:27 PM

I’d start with a 4.5mm spacer but be prepared to add more thin ones if needed.