Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 06:26 AM
Administrator

How to determine if a rim is tubeless compatible?

I have a nice set of wheels here that I either de-stickered or bought de-stickered a long while ago and I do not know the rim model.

I would like to run this set tubeless if possible. They have a nice deep center channel which is usually associated with tubeless rims, but I'm not sure what else to look for to confirm or deny these are meant for tubeless service.

Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2021, 06:59 AM
Randomhead

There should be a lip on the inside of the bead channel to hold the bead in place. I am led to understand that this isn't enough to know if they are tubeless ready, but it's a pretty good hint.

I have some DT swiss rims where later models have that lip, but I recently got an earlier version that didn't.

tubeless by unterhausen, on Flickr

Last edited by unterhausen; 10-19-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have a nice set of wheels here that I either de-stickered or bought de-stickered a long while ago and I do not know the rim model.

I would like to run this set tubeless if possible. They have a nice deep center channel which is usually associated with tubeless rims, but I'm not sure what else to look for to confirm or deny these are meant for tubeless service.

Any ideas?
Well, cave man type is to tape 'em, and try to mount, seat a tubeless tire, pump up pretty high and watch, leave alone and see what happens. I know lots of tubeless specific stuff is hard to install also so......Are they welded seam?
Old 10-19-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
There should be a lip on the inside of the bead channel to hold the bead in place. I am led to understand that this isn't enough to know if they are tubeless ready, but it's a pretty good hint.

I have some DT swiss rims where later models have that lip, but I recently got an earlier version that didn't.

tubeless by unterhausen, on Flickr
The bead retaining barb is a feature of some tubeless rims but certainly not all. Giveaways for me on TL-friendliness are flat bead-seat shoulders and deep center track. Typically the TL-road era was accompanied by rims trending towards the wider side as well…pretty unlikely a 13mm internal width rim is gonna be TL friendly.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
The bead retaining barb is a feature of some tubeless rims but certainly not all. Giveaways for me on TL-friendliness are flat bead-seat shoulders and deep center track. Typically the TL-road era was accompanied by rims trending towards the wider side as well…pretty unlikely a 13mm internal width rim is gonna be TL friendly.
The need for distinct bead seat shoulders and a depressed center channel between limits the minimum internal width of tubeless rims to about 17mm or there-abouts, so narrow rims won't be tubeless ready. The presence of the shoulders and center channel aren't a guarantee of being tubeless either, as the Roval Rapide CLX & Alpinist CLX rims have these features but are not tubeless ready.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:38 AM
n - 1

Post up a picture. I’m sure somebody in the brain trust will know what model it is.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Well, cave man type is to tape 'em, and try to mount, seat a tubeless tire, pump up pretty high and watch, leave alone and see what happens. I know lots of tubeless specific stuff is hard to install also so......Are they welded seam?

Old 10-19-2021, 09:47 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Post a pic of the rim profile and side view and I bet the Paceline Braintrust will identify them before lunch.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The need for distinct bead seat shoulders and a depressed center channel between limits the minimum internal width of tubeless rims to about 17mm or there-abouts, so narrow rims won't be tubeless ready. The presence of the shoulders and center channel aren't a guarantee of being tubeless either, as the Roval Rapide CLX & Alpinist CLX rims have these features but are not tubeless ready.
While those two examples are technically not TL-ready according to the manufacturer, the waters are a little muddy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/roadbik...-gone-wrong-2/
Old 10-19-2021, 01:03 PM

You certainly *can* make any rim tubeless with enough tape and patience. We did this in the bad old days of tubeless MTB. A super tight fit is the main characteristic, I would argue. Having the bead retention ridge has been important in my experience. I recently set up a set of Rhynolites tubeless and got things to stay sealed fine, but I always had burping trouble in corners.

All this said, experimentation may be how you find out. I'm not convinced the down side is worth it if we're talking high pressure and high speeds.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Here are the rims in question
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8173.jpg (142.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8174.jpg (72.8 KB, 192 views)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:21 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

My guess is Easton rim.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Here are the rims in question
Those sure do look like tubeless as they have the bead seat/shelf and a vestigal shoulder for retention.

I would say the best test would be to tape them and then do a test with inflating/seating a tubeless tire, then deflating the tire. If the bead stays seated and takes a concerted effort to unseat then I would say the rim is tubeless ready.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:27 PM

How wide externally? Kind of looks like an R460.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:33 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
My exact sentiments. Sorry Angry, I know, not helping. I'm just too fat to not constantly worry about blowing the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
How wide externally? Kind of looks like an R460.
Concur. Having owned a few sets of DT wheels, this looks like a DT rim to me. DT hubs too (ftw).