Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 11:27 AM

Crossing the Final Frontier: Electronic Shifting.

I'm a Luddite. The simpler my bike functions, the better.

Recently, however; a good buddy offered my a great deal on a frameset configured for electronic shifting (eTap) only. My first thought was to get mechanical brake mounts installed. But, at that point, I'd have to get the frame repainted, and I might as well buy a new frameset.

So, with that in mind, I'd like to get the collective wisdom of the Forum. A few questions:

1) Any holdouts that finally took the plunge to electronic shifting and can't believe it took them so long?

2) Any holdouts that finally took the plunge to electronic shifting and realized that they should've trusted their gut instincts and never bothered?

3) I want to use a larger cassette. A 36t probably. Is that possible with eTap? It's kind of confusing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:34 AM

Actually finding an etap group could be an issue.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Actually finding an etap group could be an issue.
Finding any group right now is a challenge, but Force/Rival AXS is as easy to find as anything, and works with a 36 tooth cassette.

Electronic shifting is great. If you're worried about batteries, you can always pick up an extra or two and leave them in a saddle bag or something in case you forget to charge your main ones. Or just set a calendar reminder to charge your batteries once a month. The only reason people ever seem to run out of battery is because they last so long that you forget you ever have to do it

And shift performance is great, particularly when things get dirty, you don't have cables getting all gunked up.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:56 AM
Deconditioned!

I think you'll like it. Yes, the install sans wires is great. However, the shift logic is, dare I say, "fun". So easy. So intuitive. Batteries: this gets talked about so much and I honestly don't get it. Firstly, the range for a full charge is not short. 1k miles easy. I jumped early and got 1st gen eTap. I may not have ridden as often as some here, but I rode a good amount. In the four years I had that group, I never had to change the coin batteries in the shifters. Also, we all now plug so many silly things in with regularity (lights, gps, phone, yada yada)...it's not like it's a huge chore.

I'm not a shill for Sram etap. I just think, atmo, it's great.

I do align with you in luddite ways though. There's nothing wrong with mech shifting. At all. Being honest, aside from it being nifty, electronic shifting solves a problem I didn't have. Now, in your case, buying an eTap only frame, you get to try something that will be very different from your current/past experiences.

Give it a go!
Old 10-18-2021, 12:11 PM

Clean39t has you covered if you're ready to jump: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=274960
Old 10-18-2021, 12:16 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I'm a Luddite. The simpler my bike functions, the better.

Recently, however; a good buddy offered my a great deal on a frameset configured for electronic shifting (eTap) only. My first thought was to get mechanical brake mounts installed. But, at that point, I'd have to get the frame repainted, and I might as well buy a new frameset.

So, with that in mind, I'd like to get the collective wisdom of the Forum. A few questions:

1) Any holdouts that finally took the plunge to electronic shifting and can't believe it took them so long?

2) Any holdouts that finally took the plunge to electronic shifting and realized that they should've trusted their gut instincts and never bothered?

3) I want to use a larger cassette. A 36t probably. Is that possible with eTap? It's kind of confusing.

Thanks in advance.
I'd certainly try a bike with etap and then decide. Some like the 'shifting protocol', some don't. You may be able to get the shifting gig bit not like the shape of the levers.

IMHO, I'd never buy a bike that was etap only. It'd be a shame that if etap wasn't in the cards for whatever reason, you'd have to either get the frame modified($$) or sell it...for a part of the bike that is a consumable. Barring a crash, many/most frames are many, many years in terms of longevity. Groups are not.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Meh

Quote:
Yes, it is possible, but you need the correct rear derailleur. Many on the internets claim to have the 36T cassette working fine with the "short cage" version, but AXS etap 2x is extremely finicky to setup, and I would be cautious about going that route. You will want the "wide" version of the rear derailleur for 2x setups in order to use the 36T cassette.

The other thing is the max 13T gap on the front for 2x. I tried a 46/30 for awhile, which resulted in a lot of messy shifting and dropped chains on upshifts in front. Reverting to the 43/30 solved all of these issues. I do not recommend using this group to shift a 16T gap in front.

That said, once setup, it works flawlessly, and I really like the ratios, despite some of the big airing of grievances on this board about the ratios.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Yes, it is possible, but you need the correct rear derailleur. Many on the internets claim to have the 36T cassette working fine with the "short cage" version, but AXS etap 2x is extremely finicky to setup, and I would be cautious about going that route. You will want the "wide" version of the rear derailleur for 2x setups in order to use the 36T cassette.

The other thing is the max 13T gap on the front for 2x. I tried a 46/30 for awhile, which resulted in a lot of messy shifting and dropped chains on upshifts in front. Reverting to the 43/30 solved all of these issues. I do not recommend using this group to shift a 16T gap in front.

That said, once setup, it works flawlessly, and I really like the ratios, despite some of the big airing of grievances on this board about the ratios.
This is where it gets complicated. So, basically, if I want the wider cassette (which I definitely do with this frame), I basically have to use the stock 30/43 SRAM crank? This would be a comfort/climbing bike, but I’d still be a little wary of losing so much top speed, even with a 10t in front. I was really hoping to use a Praxis 33/48 up front.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:45 PM

I've used eTap since the very first version of RED etap and it never missed a beat. Not once. It flat our works. It's super simple to set up and to maintain. It just does its job and there's no fuss. I'm in the process of building myself a new ride and it will have eTap.

In the title to your post you use the phrase "Final Frontier" and I'm guessing that unless you unfortunately pass away this afternoon that there will be yet another frontier and another after that and so on. and this is, IMHO, a very good thing.

Enjoy the eTap - it rocks.

dave
Old 10-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Meh

Quote:
This is where it gets complicated. So, basically, if I want the wider cassette (which I definitely do with this frame), I basically have to use the stock 30/43 SRAM crank? This would be a comfort/climbing bike, but I’d still be a little wary of losing so much top speed, even with a 10t in front. I was really hoping to use a Praxis 33/48 up front.
I know that you can use any of the 13T gap cranksets, not just the 30/43. I'm not sure about the Praxis, but the one I had all the bad luck with was the Rotor Aldhu. I do tend to trust SRAM's guidance here about the 13T max gap.

FWIW, the 10 tooth means that the top gears on these drivetrains are higher than you'd think. I'm not sure what size wheels or tires you're planning on running, but on 700Cx35, the 43x10 gear at 100 rpm tops out at 34.8 mph. Unless you're contesting pro group sprints, pretty sure you'll be fine.

Edit: Also, what DK said - these groups are great, once you get through the finicky setup.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I've used eTap since the very first version of RED etap and it never missed a beat. Not once. It flat our works. It's super simple to set up and to maintain. It just does its job and there's no fuss. I'm in the process of building myself a new ride and it will have eTap.

In the title to your post you use the phrase "Final Frontier" and I'm guessing that unless you unfortunately pass away this afternoon that there will be yet another frontier and another after that and so on. and this is, IMHO, a very good thing.

Enjoy the eTap - it rocks.

dave
Well, “nudges” don’t get more authoritative than that. Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I’ll consider myself sold.
On a related note, perhaps I’ll use my exercise bike this afternoon.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 10-18-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Sram also makes 48/35 and 46/33 chainrings. Your Praxis isn't officially compatible, but you might be able to make it work.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'd certainly try a bike with etap and then decide. Some like the 'shifting protocol', some don't. You may be able to get the shifting gig bit not like the shape of the levers.

IMHO, I'd never buy a bike that was etap only. It'd be a shame that if etap wasn't in the cards for whatever reason, you'd have to either get the frame modified($$) or sell it...for a part of the bike that is a consumable. Barring a crash, many/most frames are many, many years in terms of longevity. Groups are not.
Come on - Eventually all the groups are going fully wireless and mechanical won’t even be offered for high end road. If you want to worry about your frame being obsolete, I would be more concerned with what to do with useless holes and guides than it being wireless only…

Fwiw, I am 100pct with Dave - These threads always miss the point, wireless electronic is easier and more reliable in everything except for edge cases involving electromagnetic pulse weapons on tour in the atacama….it is set and forget snd it works every time. Mech groups require vastly more ongoing tinkering.

I have recent vintage rxperience with mech and electronic groups from all three major manufacturers and I can say that Red AXS is hands down my favorite group ever. Its not even close.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:14 AM

eTap Red 11 speed for 3 years. Blipbox broke. Impossible to source a replacement or even brake shifters. Bike is dead in water. I have never broken a cable on a mechanical setup and have never been SOL with such a setup. Otherwise, I love eTap. I use the regular RD to shift a 32 cog. 11-32 and 56/39, works fine. Replaced the blipbox battery twice. Derailleur batteries last a long time, I carry a spare but never had to use it.

I have a red AXS rim group and some of the parts to replace the TT setup, just waiting on the 12 speed blip box.

I postponed buying the AXS stuff hoping Shimano would be wireless with rim brakes. I'll be testing all of the compatibility rules once I install. Rotor 12 speed cassette, KMC 12 speed chain, Rotor or Praxis 12 speed rings. I have both the regular and wide Red derailleurs, we'll see if the regular can shift a 36. Still have not sourced the rings.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post

Mech groups require vastly more ongoing tinkering.
This is nothing but a myth to me in the last dozen years or so. Once a bike is setup with a mechanical groupset it just keeps working. Maintenance involves chains and brake pads. About the only time I have to do cables or housings are on used bikes that were abused instead of taken care of.

And for all the social posturing on this forum about the environment I can't believe anyone would consider using those nasty ol' environment killing batteries.