Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 05:32 AM

I bought a Tacx Neo 2T a few weeks ago. It is quiet. I have used it on Zwift and on the free trial Tacx subscription. I went from a Powertap rear wheel connected to a fluid trainer, which other than the noise I prefer it to the Tacx. I really do not like the resistance being controlled for me but that is me.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caducosity View Post
Bought a Kickr a few months ago (local store had them; the TacX seems just as nice) and liked it so much that I sprung for a cheap TV, and I couldn't be happier with the setup. I use the Fulgaz app, which is real video, and unlike Rouvy, is filmed from a bike, which means I can hear the rider changing gears and laboring up hills when I'm laboring up hills, which I love. But all these apps have free trials, and I'd say sign up for a bunch (maybe not all at once; as you might not have time to try them all in two weeks) and see what you like. I thought I'd love Zwift, but wound up much preferring Fulgaz.

At all Rouvy rides are done by a car.
There are more videos on Rouvy. With many all over the world. You can search in your area to find rides.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:14 AM

" You're not helping! Well, actually, you are. $10/month isn't bad, and I'd go monthly since I'd only ride it during the dark winter months. Now, about that TV... If I could stream the likes of the Tour of Flanders, UCI CX, etc. through/GCN/Flobikes/whatever while riding, that'd be even better than the videos. I've noticed quite a few videos of past races on the free YouTube app on my TV. So add another Roku and I'd be set. Neo 2T + cheap TV + Roku/Tacx app. I mean, as long as I'm sitting down watching a race, I might as well do it on a bike. "

Good point. I got a 32" flat screen from Amazon for around $200, does the job just fine with the TACX training app and others (I prefer actual riding video as opposed to animation) but obv you can also watch movies, racing, etc. to pass the time.

Remember to pick up a floor mat as well- even with two high volume fans (high volume set on low is quieter than low volume set on high) I sweat buckets over 35 trainer miles.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post

Remember to pick up a floor mat as well- even with two high volume fans (high volume set on low is quieter than low volume set on high) I sweat buckets over 35 trainer miles.
This is a good point. I'm setting up a new home gym now myself. What are you using for a floor mat? Something you can throw in the washing machine or...??
Old 10-19-2021, 07:38 AM

No one here mentioned the Elite Suito
I've been super happy with mine, rode over 2k km on it and really keeps me fit during winter.
Pretty quiet (ie the shifts are louder than the unit itself) and my partner doesn't mind having it in the living room while they're watching a show.
Strong rec on my end!

Last edited by TunaAndBikes; 10-19-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaAndBikes View Post
No one here mentioned the Elite Suito
!
Strong endorsement for the Elite Suito. I've landed on a mid to high end direct drive which narrows it down to the Wahoo KickR Core, the Elite Suito and the Tacx Flux S or Flux 2.

I'm strongly considering the Elite Suito to save $100 but the Wahoo Kick R is tried and true.

Would love to hear feedback on these three choices.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This is a good point. I'm setting up a new home gym now myself. What are you using for a floor mat? Something you can throw in the washing machine or...??
Companies that sell trainers also sell mats. You can pick up a mat at Home Depot or any local gym supply. Yoga mats work fine (maybe get a thin one).

If you want to cover a larger area such as a gym, workshop, or similar, I bought about a 4x50 foot roll from a company like this, cut it to fit, and I've got a nice sized area. You can order precut pieces, or a custom length roll, but it's not a problem to cut it yourself with a utility knife and a decent straight edge like a drywall square. I'm not a fan of the locking tiles, by YMMV.

Not sure if that's the company I bought from, but I know I checked out their goods. I got something like the Regrind Rolls, which are less expensive per square foot, as they're made from scraps and whatnot - sorta like recycled. I bought the recommended/most popular thickness for gym floors, but can't remember what it was. I can measure it if you'd like, but looking at their site 8mm is the most popular for home gyms.

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/ru...ing/index.html

Regrind Rolls
https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/ru...ind-rolls.html

Gym floor guide
https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/bu.../home-gym.html

How to clean
https://www.flooringinc.com/blog/how...-gym-flooring/

ETA: Found the email receipt. I bought 3 4x15 Eco Flec rolls, which have been discontinued in the 15 foot length. Looks like Eco Flec only comes in 25 foot rolls now, but they're easy to cut. Not sure what the difference is between the Eco Flec and Regrind Rolls.

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/ru...flec-roll.html

Last edited by reuben; 10-19-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:00 AM

I use a very basic floor mat, I think I picked it up at Lowes or Home depot.
Something like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...0800/206288861

You can pick up a very basic 32 inch TV at Best buy for under $100, that work very well for watching races and using any of the training apps.
You can also use a iPad, if you already have one. so you really wouldnt have to buy anything.
As far as the Roku, I am a Roku fan but for this purpose I'd go with a apple TV since if you do want to try Zwift you can run it on a ATV but not a Roku
Old 10-20-2021, 07:12 AM

BTW, I just got a email from Planet Cyclery, 15% off trainers (not sure for how long).
Brings the price of a Tacx Flux S to $637, pretty good.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
BTW, I just got a email from Planet Cyclery, 15% off trainers (not sure for how long).
Hmmm... Haven't received an email like that yet. Maybe I'm not part of their cool crowd anymore. Time will tell.

ETA: When I sign into BTD (a forum sponsor) I see the same 15% off on the Neo 2T, and 7% off Flux 2 and Flux S. When I'm not signed in I don't see it. Interesting.

Last edited by reuben; 10-20-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Do youu have a code for that?
Old 10-20-2021, 08:39 AM

The code is
TRAINHARD
I think it's valid today only
Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 AM

I ended up deciding on an Elite Suito. I ordered it from Bike Tires Direct yesterday. With a Gold Member discount it was $670 plus tax. I was pleasantly surprised to see the discount when I went to add it to my cart! Hope to see you all on Zwift this winter,
Old 10-20-2021, 09:13 AM

Alright, welcome to the dark side
Old 10-20-2021, 09:44 AM

Nothing beats smart rollers, imo. Being locked into a direct drive thing-y turns every workout into an awful grind and makes me feel like an troglodyte. Rollers make me feel like I'm suffering with the souplesse of Coppi.

Oh, and slight tangent: Sufferfest is now owned by Wahoo and is now called "Systm". So far this just means you have to wade through some new graphics and pics of fitness models to get to your workout.

Last edited by professerr; 10-20-2021 at 09:50 AM.