Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 08:01 AM

In the market for a Smart Trainer

As indoor riding season approaches here in the Northeast I've been thinking about which Smart Trainer to get. I had a Wahoo KickR Snap and foolishly sold it a couple of years ago. I liked the wheel on KickR snap well enough but wonder if I would significantly improve my indoor riding experience if I spent the extra money for a KickR Core or similar direct mount trainer.

My ultimate goal is to maintain fitness as much as I can over the winter months. I enjoy Zwift but also have used Trainer Road and Sufferfest. I know that DC Rainmaker does an annual review of indoor trainers but I'd be interested in hearing what all of you have experienced.

I'll also say that I'm not attached to Wahoo. I'd consider other brands as well.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:22 AM

Absolutely yes, in my opinion there is a night and day difference between a wheel on trainer and a direct drive, and they are well worth the extra money.

As far as which one, I think at this point they are all really good so it comes down to which bells and whistles do you want, how much you want to spend and what's in stock
Old 10-18-2021, 08:23 AM

To add to my post.
Personally I have the Kickr, I am extremely happy with it, but from what I have read and heard they are all good.

The Neo is supposedly the best if you want to go right to the top
Old 10-18-2021, 08:29 AM
Administrator

What's the groupthink on the motorized riser systems for the fork to simulate climbing angle? Gimmick or great?
Old 10-18-2021, 08:33 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Lightly used kickr will take you as far as you want to go.
No need for risers/kickr climb unless you are going full indoor.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
What's the groupthink on the motorized riser systems for the fork to simulate climbing angle? Gimmick or great?
Disclaimer, I haven't used the riser.
But... based on what I have read, it's likely somewhere in the between gimmick and great. Like does it really simulate outdoor climbs? likely not, however if it adds fun and diversity into your riding and helps you stay on the trainer longer then it's great.
Personally if I was going to buy something else it would likely be a rocker plate before the riser.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I already have zwift trainer difficulty set on something like 20%. I like being able to just get in a nice groove more than I want to actually simulate riding outdoors, so I can't imagine wanting to add a riser system to that, but if you're the kind of person who puts trainer difficulty at 100% and really likes to imagine that you're riding outside, I feel like they could be nice to have.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I've played around with one and also the KickR bike which does this as well. It is gimmicky. That said - it does help shift your weight around a bit on the saddle, which for longer sessions is nice. Riding in a static position for too long can be uncomfortable. Personally - I'd go for a rocking base (homebuilt or pre-fab) before spending the money for a Climb.

As for models and options - they all work very well. Personally I have a KickR and love it. Quiet, works well on pretty much any platform. I've also had nothing be great experiences with Wahoo's customer support when I've needed it with my KickR, my previous Bolt and now Roam. Recently needed a new TA adapter for the KickR because of frame clearance issues. They had a replacement to me less than 48hours after I sent the email - though to be fair part of that is because they are local.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Disclaimer, I haven't used the riser.

Personally if I was going to buy something else it would likely be a rocker plate before the riser.
I have Kickr plus Inside Ride E-Flex. Works really well.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:35 AM

I recently got a direct drive trainer (Tacx Flux S). Thanks to a confluence of sales, I got it delivered to my door, with tax, for under $500. I've only done a few zwift races on it so far, but it is so much better than my prior wheel-on smart trainer. It makes it so much easier to respond to accelerations, provides a nicer feel, and is much more accurate.

I wouldn't go back to a wheel-on trainer so long as I can afford a direct drive.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:38 AM

I like my wahoo kickr about as much as I expect to like indoor training. There seems to be a lot of good used equipment coming available on FB marketplace these days.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:19 AM

I use the Kickr + Climb + Rouvy. The up/down keeps you adjusting a bit so you're not just peddling in place as much...but you're still peddling in place just with an incline/decline. If you normally ride/commute alone like I do, Rouvy is similar to clicking through Google street view with an avatar. Never tried a rocker base but building one could be a low cost + if I used it more. I do not like riding on a trainer for the few months where it's deep winter but it is activity and better than nothing for me....better winter gear is something I'm personally exploring.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:33 AM

Whichever smart trainer you choose, make sure it supports the standard wireless communication protocols: ANT+ FE-C and Bluetooth FTMS. Past versions of Tacx and Wahoo units didn't fully support both and didn't work well with all apps as a result. Wahoo has been good about updating its older products, but older Tacx units haven't received the same support.

Newer units should support both FE-C and FTMS.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM
Shrimp123

i am half way there....

Kickr snap with powertap rear wheel and Rouvy. Works nice, but am subscribed to this thread to follow
Old 10-18-2021, 11:56 AM

doesn't need to be said a this point but they all work well...I have a 2016 kickr and a buddy that has the wheel on one from wahoo...both work great...last three years I got 15 thousand more miles in via winter training...that is the point I think...sure beats the old kurt kinetic...