Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2021, 07:30 PM

Found a used custom Colorado III…

Hello! Found a used custom Colorado III and hopefully I’ll get a test ride shortly. Besides asking for the build sheet plus condition & age of components any suggestions on what to look for? I’m not looking for perfection just hoping for a positive experience. Thanks in advance
Old 10-16-2021, 07:47 PM

Like it

If you like how it rides and it’s in good basic condition , free of rust and damage… good to go. The components can be replaced if they are worn out
Old 10-16-2021, 07:47 PM

If it's stock build I think you can find geometry/size info in our archived catalogs. It should be a wonderful ride.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:09 PM
cnighbor2

look at

Serotta CSI I just posted in barn finds and i will be posting soon another nice one
Old 10-16-2021, 08:46 PM

Sorry to say I'm not so clear about what you're hoping to find out? Are you new to buying vintage steel frames? Or very up to speed and just looking for quick pointers? Buying from an end user? Dealer?

You can ask for a build sheet, but it's not all that common to be able to get one. IME anyway. You can ask for detailed frame dimensions, but lots of sellers haven't done that homework either. Same can be said for component condition/age.

I guess the more they can tell you, the better, but they could be wrong, or not entirely honest. Ultimately it's up to you to determine whether the fit, condition and price work for you.

If you can be a little more specific about "what to look for" means for you, we can probably give you more specific answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sktr62 View Post
Hello! Found a used custom Colorado III and hopefully I’ll get a test ride shortly. Besides asking for the build sheet plus condition & age of components any suggestions on what to look for? I’m not looking for perfection just hoping for a positive experience. Thanks in advance
Old 10-16-2021, 08:49 PM

Look for rust.

But above all look for fit. If a bike doesn’t fit don’t bother. They’re bikes. Not magic carpets. Especially if not equipped with the fork intended for the frame.

There are builders who can build you a new version with none of the challenges of trying to piece together an old and possibly corroded or incomplete or poorly fitting one.

Do not throw your money away on a name brand. And I say this as a Serotta Colorado III owner. They’re terrific but the fit needs to be your fit.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:03 PM

If I remember correctly the C III was very similar to a CSi except it was TIG welded vs. lugged/brazed so it should ride like the best steel bike Serotta ever built. The serial number will tell whether it is stock or custom.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:20 PM

Check the serial number. It should read CO then a two digit size number it it's a stock geometry frame. If it's a custom it should read CCO and then the size number. Size number is seat tube length center of BB to center of top tube. Colorado III was introduced in 2001, and though stock frames were produced, there's no geometry chart in the catalog. I would expect an early CIII frame to correspond to the the road frame geometry listed in the 2000 catalog. If it's a later CIII (1000+? serial number range), there's a standard road geometry chart in the 2003 catalog. Just be aware that a custom frame could have quite a bit different geometry from a standard frame.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:25 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm reading the catalog. And just realized the shifters are on the steerer tube. I'm short and it's a smallish build, ~48-50cm top tube. I hope their isn't brake shifter cable interference.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:21 AM

If it has a Reynolds or Serotta carbon fork...

... make sure you get the correct titanium brake binder nut, it is specific to the fork.

EDIT: I realize now it is a complete bike. Sorry for the noise. Time for more coffee.

Please post a pic to the gallery when you're finished!

Tim
Old 10-19-2021, 08:49 AM

As with any older steel frame, make sure the seatpost and stem aren't stuck, or be emotionally prepared for the removal procedure.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sktr62 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm reading the catalog. And just realized the shifters are on the steerer tube. I'm short and it's a smallish build, ~48-50cm top tube. I hope their isn't brake shifter cable interference.
Shifter bosses at the head tube on that bike is made that way for integrated shifting. Should not be a problem.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
As with any older steel frame, make sure the seatpost and stem aren't stuck, or be emotionally prepared for the removal procedure.
Thanks! It has the thomson elite "bent" seatpost. I've never experienced that before
Old 10-26-2021, 09:26 AM

My test ride is planned for early November. Getting excited. Seller lives far from me. At the risk of severe forum feedback…please share experiences or thoughts using a Colorado III for credit card touring. I have a very sturdy (heavy) Waterford ST-14 that’s just ok IMHO. Feels like a tank. Gentle feedback requested…
Old 10-26-2021, 10:52 AM

A lot of that depends on the particular frame. My custom CIII is a pretty stiff build. A standard frame, same size would ride softer. Same with which fork is on the bike.

Its a quality frame and worth giving a ride. Thats really the only way to know.