Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 09:13 PM

I thought New England had ginned itself down to just 2 seasons

Red Sox season and Dreamy Tom Brady season
Old 10-20-2021, 09:28 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I'm going to hijack this thread a bit here (should I start another?). We're on the other end of things. We have 2 young kids (8 and 2) and looking for basically the same criteria except good schools and provide the kids, outside of schools, opportunities to be good people and find their thing.

We're in a great suburb of Philly with blue ribbon schools and all the things that people look for in a neighborhood. However, it's not for my wife and I. We jokingly call it a "suburban hellscape." The riding is a 4/10 but we have all of our modern conveniences - a trader joes, whole foods, acme and Giant all within 3 miles of us. Rock climbing and choices of youth athletic leagues. A voting district that we politically align with, it's safe, the community is involved, proximity to trains into/out of a major metro city and great neighbors. Really, it's a fantastic place. We just don't like it.

I used to live in Saratoga Springs and am concerned it's a little too insulated from the rest of the world (lack of diversity and/or ability to leave our bubble). Per this thread, I've looked at Northampton too, housing stock seems even more limited than Saratoga right now.

So....would throwing kids into the equation change your answers?
Old 10-20-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Based on what I'm reading here I'd say that there are tons of places in New England (or the North East) that would be really great for cycling. The tough part is that it's the NORTH, and that means COLD for 3-4 months of the year, and cold means SNOW and ICE.
If you can handle living in New England at a baseline if you like to ride you can handle riding in the winter.

Some of that stuff about "only 2 seasons now" is starting to feel true vs 20 years ago.

Winter takes longer to hit now, fall is nicer for riding as the warm weather lasts longer. First snow is later than it used to be, so the salt doesn't hit the roads as early.

On the flip side the spring seems colder & wetter than it used to be. Then when it's over it's a light switch and you go right to 80+ degrees. You miss out on the extended period of spring riding where it's 55-70 degrees perfection.

I don't know what it means that I tossed my studded tires this fall when I did cleanup. I hadn't mounted them in some years and not mounting them didn't really stop me from riding when I felt like it during the winter. I don't really have a "must ride" reason right in the middle of a snowstorm or after a snowstorm lately and as long as I have that mentality it's only a day or so and it's fine to ride without studs again.

Last edited by benb; 10-20-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:20 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I'm going to hijack this thread a bit here (should I start another?). We're on the other end of things. We have 2 young kids (8 and 2) and looking for basically the same criteria except good schools and provide the kids, outside of schools, opportunities to be good people and find their thing.

We're in a great suburb of Philly with blue ribbon schools and all the things that people look for in a neighborhood. However, it's not for my wife and I. We jokingly call it a "suburban hellscape." The riding is a 4/10 but we have all of our modern conveniences - a trader joes, whole foods, acme and Giant all within 3 miles of us. Rock climbing and choices of youth athletic leagues. A voting district that we politically align with, it's safe, the community is involved, proximity to trains into/out of a major metro city and great neighbors. Really, it's a fantastic place. We just don't like it.

I used to live in Saratoga Springs and am concerned it's a little too insulated from the rest of the world (lack of diversity and/or ability to leave our bubble). Per this thread, I've looked at Northampton too, housing stock seems even more limited than Saratoga right now.

I know what you mean, but, as another former Saratoga Springs resident, I dont think it's that isolated, but, yeah, not exactly diverse. It does have a lot of the shopping conveniences you speak of, except I had to go to Albany or Manchester for dress clothes.

I too live in a suburban hellscape that is a wonderful place for families. I bought a condo here because it was cheap after the crash, and I was looking forward to my 70s and beyond when, sorry, I know it's morbid, I may actually need that senior's bus come around to bring me to the supermarket or the senior center, and, yes, the ambulance wont have to travel far to get me to the hospital. (The biking is pretty awesome for NYC metro, too.) We all have fantasies of living in some idyllic place in the country with winding lanes through light traffic hills right out our door, but, the downside to that is isolation at an old age, and the upkeep of the place can be pretty hard, too, with landscaping and snow shoveling alone. How many times have you biked by a home with just an older woman getting the mail out on the road? That's your wife after you pass, and, statistically, she's outliving you easily.
My girlfriend and I are looking for a place to buy together, and both of us have been wowed by country cottages, but, are mature enough to know, eh, pretty far from anything. Maybe suburbia ain't that bad, as long as the biking is good.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
I know what you mean, but, as another former Saratoga Springs resident, I dont think it's that isolated, but, yeah, not exactly diverse. It does have a lot of the shopping conveniences you speak of, except I had to go to Albany or Manchester for dress clothes.
Dress clothes? Do you mean Assos?
Old 10-21-2021, 06:50 AM
slower than you

Sometimes you have to go to a wedding or funeral.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:23 AM
cmg

"Really, it's a fantastic place. We just don't like it." Hilarious, first world problems. Made me spit out the coffee.

Last edited by cmg; 10-21-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:39 AM

Lots of good recommendations in the thread. I've lived in Southern NH and now in Newburyport for 12 years. Lots of variety here from Newburyport, NH Seacoast, farm lands, Parker River National Seashore, back roads, gravel and trails, rolling hills plus supportive LBSs and many group/charity rides. Also close to the mountains. And the traffic is generally light and respectful of cyclists.
Good luck with your choice....
Old 10-21-2021, 08:59 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

My folks (in their 80s now) moved back to Saratoga Springs. I really like it there; but my wife is an air-conditioned southerner, so I expect we will not retire there.

I am looking at SW/Central PA & WV. Areas I have preliminarily ID'd so far include:
- Lancaster County PA
- Harrisburg & Lewisburg PA
- area around Latrobe PA
- Bridgeport/Fairmont WV
- (A bit farther south) Lewisburg WV

I don't think WV is really northeast by any stretch, but the northern part of it has a more midwestern vibe to it, which is I like.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:38 AM
slower than you

Lancaster is a pretty good place for the older rider looking for relatively flat farm roads. And I'll bet the RE is affordable.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post

Bucks county?
Old 10-21-2021, 11:30 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Bucks county?

Montgomery County
Old 10-21-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Lancaster is a pretty good place for the older rider looking for relatively flat farm roads. And I'll bet the RE is affordable.
Depending on where you live in Lancaster County, you may find affordable housing. Lancaster City proper has become much more expensive over the last few years. In the county, there's a variety of communities, roads, terrain. Some areas are more friendly to cyclists than others. If you're in Amish/Mennonite country in the central eastern portion, the riding is pretty good. I have friends that have had problems in the southern end of the county with drivers.

The cycling is pretty decent. You can choose from flattish and windy roads to steep river hills, and everything in between. No super long climbs, or real mountains.

Source: I live here.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:31 PM

A lot of great recommendations offered here including some of my favorite locales.

In addition to cycling options, also consider the availability of water. We do live in a changing world.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:31 PM

Pittsburgh, the west coast of the east coast.

(which I don't think anyone actually says)