Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 PM

wide tire clearance caliper brakes

I see some folks have converted to 650 for bigger tires. Well, I'm looking to keep my 700c wheels but want to run 32mm tires...and my frame and fork has the clearance...so what brake caliper will work for me? I'm running DA 9000 calipers now which clears 28c tires, but 32s are too wide. And I've looked at Tektro's website and see lots of long reach calipers, but I can't tell what "short" reach models will be able to clear. Velo-Orange brakes look nice, but their 170 bucks and again, they're designed for long reach or 650b wheels/tires.

So, you guys that are running wide tires on 700c rims, what ya using?
Old 08-07-2019, 11:05 PM

If you are currently running DA9000 calipers, there is a slim chance any of these "mid-reach" brakes will work on your frame. They would place the brake pads lower than the brake track of your rims.

DA9K have some of the best clearance for a short reach caliper.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 PM

+1

If Dura Ace brakes don't work, mid reach will not help, as your issue is not reaching the brake track.

EE brakes probably have a little more clearance. Also Paul Racer M and single pivot brakes (like old school Dura Ace 7400).
Old 08-08-2019, 05:19 AM

Where is the extra clearance required? If the issue is that the brakes don't open wide enough, you may be able to get them to open wider with the adjuster or an additional inline adjuster. If it's clearance under the brake arch a centerpull would give you more overhead clearance at the cost of having to use a hanger.

Last edited by palincss; 08-08-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:29 AM
Administrator

fogrider,

what frame and fork are you working with here?

as mentioned, the DA calipers you are using have some of the most generous clearance of the short reach calipers. you're unlikely to buy much more clearance with any standard dual pivot brake, but maybe.

There are a few, but most frames designed for short reach "standard" road brakes will not clear 32's. Add to the confusion that many currently available 32c labelled tires are not all the same size/shape. some are taller and fatter than others, which add to the clearance issues - meaning, one brand 32c tire may fit and another may not.

can you take a picture of your set-up showing where the rub is? also showing the position of the brake pad holders in the caliper arm slot?

to clear up the other issue you are confusing, there are a bunch of frames/forks designed to use mid reach calipers and 700c rims. these gained popularity for a short time before disc brakes became common and allowed for a road bike to use fatter tires. Mike Zank, i think coined the concept of the "Road 32" frame. But that's an initial design issue, and if your frame is designed for short reach brakes, that's what you need to use, as the location of the brake track with respect to the brake mounting point is a set, fixed distance (reach).
Old 08-08-2019, 08:37 AM

I was thinking the Ultegra BR-R8000 brakes were designed to run a slightly wider tire. Even more than the Duraace R9100 as it’s for road racing versus the Ultegra which (with the mid length rear derailleur cage and 11-34 cassette) leans towards ‘all road’ riding. You might look into those.
I did run some Continental GP 4000 S II’s 28s which measured 31+mm inside some Duraace R9000 brakes, but got some rub when torquing the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I see some folks have converted to 650 for bigger tires. Well, I'm looking to keep my 700c wheels but want to run 32mm tires...and my frame and fork has the clearance...so what brake caliper will work for me? I'm running DA 9000 calipers now which clears 28c tires, but 32s are too wide. And I've looked at Tektro's website and see lots of long reach calipers, but I can't tell what "short" reach models will be able to clear. Velo-Orange brakes look nice, but their 170 bucks and again, they're designed for long reach or 650b wheels/tires.

So, you guys that are running wide tires on 700c rims, what ya using?
To reiterate what others have said - long and mid reach calipers aren't the issue here.

The biggest question is what do you mean by "clear?" I've been able to squeeze GP4000s 28mm on 23mm inner width rims that had actual measurements of 31mm width and 29mm height from rim edge into SRAM Red Aerolink brakes, but there was roughly 1mm of clearance all around (not safe considering wheel flex) and I had to deflate the tires to get them through around the pads. Also, the brake bridge on the bike I was trying them on seemed to be higher than normal, thus gave some extra clearance to work with. The max width between the pads is only about 30mm when fully opened, but after you clear the pads there is a good amount of space.

If I remember correctly, same experiment on DA9100 brakes I measured a 31mm max width opening between the pads when fully opened, but the height was very low, like 25mm high, so to fully put the wheel in had to close the brake. When closed it looked like the largest width between the pads was roughly 28mm, so wider rims could have a problem. And above the pads there was roughly 1mm of clearance all around.

In other words - it depends. But most latest-gen standard mount brakes are really only consistently good for 28mm actual width and height.

I have a set of R8000 calipers lying around, will try to measure opening width when I have the chance.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:45 AM

cheap https://www.benscycle.com/Dia-Compe-...UaAgGFEALw_wcB
Old 08-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Yes, but is reach the issue? We're still in the dark.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Yes, but is reach the issue? We're still in the dark.
or in the fog, as this particular case may be
Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 PM

See photos, it's hitting the 2 bolts...the front is pretty tight at the fork, iit's a Zank and there's plenty of clearance at the fork.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 PM

That's way too much tire for that fork. Any variance in roundness, like picking up a bit of mud or sand, would grind you to a halt pretty fast.

Are these cross tires?

Getting longer reach brakes won't help - the pads will reach past your rims. The newer generation of Shimano (R9000/R8000/etc) might have slightly better clearance, but I would be shocked if there will be enough to run these tires.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 PM

Can't blame a guy for tryin'.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:51 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread but I figured it fits with this line of questioning.

What's the recommended clearance between the tire and rear brake Bridge?

Additionally, the rule of thumb is 1mm added height per 1mm added width, correct?

Thinking of trying to go to a 28mm from a 25mm and seeing if they'd any way to eyeball stuff without buying a tire first.