Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 09:02 PM

I remember seeing some of his videos and they were lacking in scientific rigor. I probably would consult with a real doctor and get a personalized training regime instead. There's too much misinformation out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
Some of you are no doubt experts on the subject of nutrition, exercise and belly fat but I found these videos explained it well and thought I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqALVXaIl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACFi0ZIO8w
Old 10-19-2021, 10:28 PM

I've had good luck with science-based nutrition from https://renaissanceperiodization.com/. They started focused on strength training and fueling, but I think they've expanded the team to bring on cardio experts too. Caveat: I compete in weightlifting, which has weight classes, and I have a healthy relationship with food. This level of food management can be overwhelming for those with a poor relationship with food.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:02 AM

Both my wife and I have had great luck with intermittent fasting. No real special foods, just common sense, and no eating from roughly 7pm to noon next day.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Also - microbes. The microbes in your gut play an integral role in how your body processes the calories in your food, and even directs it toward energy storage vs. burning pathways.

This one of the reasons why clinical level dietary intervention and exercise fails for some individuals. It doesn't matter what they eat or how much - their microbes push what ever calories they consume toward storage pathways.
The microbiome has become one of the most interesting areas of medicine to read about over the last 10 years.
I think the next 10-20 years will be even more interesting.
If I were a young person with an interest in medical or scientific research that's the field I would enter now.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4life View Post
I remember seeing some of his videos and they were lacking in scientific rigor. I probably would consult with a real doctor and get a personalized training regime instead. There's too much misinformation out there.
My reaction exactly.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
The microbiome has become one of the most interesting areas of medicine to read about over the last 10 years.
I think the next 10-20 years will be even more interesting.
If I were a young person with an interest in medical or scientific research that's the field I would enter now.
Exactly why I'm in it. The key to a number of diseases that have previously been difficult if not impossible to unravel and treat is, in my scientific opinion, the microbiome.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitlets View Post
I've had good luck with science-based nutrition from https://renaissanceperiodization.com/. They started focused on strength training and fueling, but I think they've expanded the team to bring on cardio experts too. Caveat: I compete in weightlifting, which has weight classes, and I have a healthy relationship with food. This level of food management can be overwhelming for those with a poor relationship with food.
Bingo.

Read some of Dr Alex Harrison’s stuff on Slowtwitch and the Trainerroad forum if you want to geek out on how to transfer a similar approach to endurance training. Could always buy his book and/or template too!
Old 10-20-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Exactly why I'm in it. The key to a number of diseases that have previously been difficult if not impossible to unravel and treat is, in my scientific opinion, the microbiome.
I wish you great success.
We are eagerly awaiting your discoveries, which turn into therapies in the oncology clinic.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:54 PM

You'll have to pull the pasta and the bread out of my cold dead hands.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:45 PM

Easy. Don't eat lots of processed food. This isn't a mystery ppl.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
Bingo.

Read some of Dr Alex Harrison’s stuff on Slowtwitch and the Trainerroad forum if you want to geek out on how to transfer a similar approach to endurance training. Could always buy his book and/or template too!
I've read lots of stuff by Dr. H and found it fascinating. Just Googled him, and the first real hit that came up was, of all places, on the RP web site linked earlier in this thread! Small world...
Old 10-20-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
I've read lots of stuff by Dr. H and found it fascinating. Just Googled him, and the first real hit that came up was, of all places, on the RP web site linked earlier in this thread! Small world...
Funny how smart people tend to gather and hunt in groups
Old 12-07-2021, 10:46 AM

id like to share my tale of body fat,etc...

yes, eating too much fruit ( natural source fructose) can have the same effect

and of course the body cant burn fat as a fuel source is insulin levels are too high- what happens when carb intake is too high

this stuff works, its good science

Last edited by Forza20; 07-05-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:16 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Eat simple sugars during exercise only (fructose/glucose)

avoid HFCS, which is difficult. I love Europe, it is (or was) illegal to have HFCS in food there.
upping the veg intake
don't really monitor diet except to avoid anything with HFCS or partially-hydrog oils.
that alone got me to 5-7% body fat.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
I love Europe, it is (or was) illegal to have HFCS in food there.
High Fructose Corn Syrup was never banned in Europe. Previously, there was a limit on sugar production in Europe (all sugars, not just HFCS), but that limit was removed in 2018, and there are currently no restrictions. The only reason that HFCS isn't used more in Europe is because it is more expensive there (in the US, HFCS is made from corn, which is cheap and in plentiful supply).