Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 04:47 PM
n - 1

OT: This one made me cringe. Cyclist run over multiple times

https://www.ksl.com/article/50264472...ple-times-dies

“ Warren Yoshio Watanabe, 62, was riding his bicycle on the sidewalk in Roy on Sept. 20 and was passing Warren's Family Restaurant, 5523 S. 3500 West, when a car pulling out of the parking lot hit him, according to police.

The woman driving the car backed up, paused, then drove forward and struck the bicyclist again. The woman again backed up, paused "and then drives forward and at this time, she runs over Warren who is lying on the ground directly in front of the vehicle," according to a search warrant affidavit.

The woman then put her car in reverse for a third time and ran over Watanabe one more time going backward, the warrant states. It was then that the woman got out of her car and saw Watanabe on the ground and called 911.”

So sad…

Last edited by p nut; 10-18-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:21 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Unhappy

The first thing a responsible person does when they hear a loud THUD! while driving is to keep going back and forth.
Sheesh, that is just horrifically terrible. :-(
Old 10-18-2021, 05:24 PM

Ugh. Hard to see this wasn’t intentional. Even if it wasn’t, it seems like an extraordinary lack of common sense. So sad…
Old 10-18-2021, 05:28 PM
Randomhead

It wouldn't have to be intentional because many pickups have 5' tall front ends and she may never have seen him -- by design.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It wouldn't have to be intentional because many pickups have 5' tall front ends and she may never have seen him -- by design.
This
Old 10-18-2021, 08:19 PM

Happened right here where I live.

The driver is a 77 year old woman, I'm guessing diminished mental capacity vs malicious intent. Not that I'm excusing anything...
Old 10-18-2021, 10:27 PM

There are a lot of bad drivers out there.

And I really wish there are driver recertification test once someone reaches that. I am saying that even as my father falls into that age bracket.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
There are a lot of bad drivers out there.

And I really wish there are driver recertification test once someone reaches that. I am saying that even as my father falls into that age bracket.
I would welcome revamping the drivers license system in the U.S. it is FAR too easy to get a drivers license and far too hard to lose one because of bad driving. That's for young drivers. Every state should have a points system to revoke licenses and the penalty for bad driving should be FAR more harsh than it is now. As in you should forfeit the vehicle you are driving in ways that threaten the safety, health and property of other drivers. [/end soap box rant]

As you age, your sight and reflexes get slower and we should all welcome a requirement to prove your ability to drive after a certain age.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:17 PM

How terrible for this rider. A few months ago encountered an older lady turning out of the hospital going the wrong way AGAINST traffic. As I watched in horror she crashed into a curb and stopped totally confused.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:25 PM

All these make a person cringe. This one just a few days ago in Florida.

https://www.wjhg.com/2021/10/17/fata...-chase-arrest/
Old 10-19-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
The driver is a 77 year old woman, I'm guessing diminished mental capacity vs malicious intent.
Agreed, but we should wait for more facts to emerge.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:13 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
All these make a person cringe. This one just a few days ago in Florida.

https://www.wjhg.com/2021/10/17/fata...-chase-arrest/
i wonder if he was intending to buzz/scare her, and actually hit her. lots of personal experience with that one, myself. being buzzed - not actually hit.

i recall my petite, pretty little blonde girlfriend coming home from a ride in our very rural "neighborhood," bloodied and crying because an oncoming pickup truck fully crossed the center line, sending her bailing off the bike into the ditch, screaming "haha ****ing bitch!" out the window as he drove by.

i looked for that old green pickup truck so, so hard... never found him.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:16 PM

I was at the Stowe Road Race (VT) around 1990 when the course was shutdown for a while due to an incident like this. It was a Sunday morning, at a church parking lot that was on the course. A woman in her 70s had hit and ran over a person in the parking lot before running into the front steps of the church. She apparently then panicked, put the car in reverse, and ran the person over again as she backed away from the church.

The driver was initially charged with a crime (I'm not sure what is was - vehicular manslaughter? Negligent driving leading to an accident). However, it was clear to everyone that the driver didn't mean to harm anyone, but that she was no longer capable of driving safely. The victims family asked that the charges against the driver be dropped, as long as it could be certain that driver never got behind the wheel again. In the end, the charges were dropped, the driver's license was revoked, and the drivers family promised that they would never let her drive again. Sadly, she probably should have been stopped from driving sooner.