Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 03:16 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
For a hybrid I'd want to get some substantial amount better mileage, like 60-80 mpg.
Which I think means later model and LithIons and a lot more coin for car. My Kids Prius had NiCads I think. And not originals as car was a friends since new.

Older kid has a Civic EX 5 Speed, sunroof alloys. That is a nice car to drive. But finding folks parting with nice Civics low probability I'd guess.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:35 PM
I need you cool.

We had a 2008 Prius for about 12 years and it was about as uber reliable as we could ask for. Gas, scheduled maintenance, tires and a new battery (the small one for the gas engine, not the big battery pack) was all it ever needed. I agree that the battery replacement thing is overblown....

Great little around town car...I didn't really dig it on the highways as it was too small for my tastes. My wife used it for commuting, and then our boys learned to drive in it, and for getting to school.

For how we used it it worked well.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:14 PM

OT: Purchasing a used Prius

I have two Priuses, a 2013 Prius 2 and a 2017 Prime. Both are outstanding vehicles and deliver 50 mpg plus. Consider the fuel economy as compared to a non-hybrid especially with the cost of gasoline now. With the Prime and charging the battery, I'm averaging about 100 mpg. Charging solely at home and I have solar power. My next car will probably be another Prime when the new model comes out.

Last edited by MikeD; 10-17-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:44 PM

Have owned a 2006 Prius since new, shared with my wife and mostly driven by her. Driven daily with rock solid reliability. Since gasoline prices have risen over the past year I have seen at least three additional Priuses in our neighborhood, two new and one used.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:47 PM
shimergo

I've got a 2013 Prius with "only" 105k miles on it. Bought new and to this point, very very low maintenance aside from the usual tire replacement and oil/fluid changes. I get about 45-48 mpg (calculated) mixed city/highway, where city driving includes a bunch of hills. Expect high 40s/low 50s if you're in a flatter region.

The e-CVT on the Prius is unlike the conventional CVTs you find in most CVT equipped cars. Internally, it's mechanically simpler and more reliable. It's one of the reasons why taxis and rideshare drivers prefer the Prius.

With that said, yes - the driving experience is absolutely dull. Fuel economy plummets on short trips (expect MPGs in the 30s). Around 125-150k, it's recommended to clean out the EGR circuit on these 2010-15 model years to prevent headgasket issues down the road.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:27 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

My kids needed a hybrid pack cooling fan service. Air cooled hybird pack in gen 2 cars I guess. It is cheaper to just buy a new one if you are handy. Also once dealer has it out, if they say it needs to be replaced, $ ouch...
Old 10-18-2021, 08:37 AM
n - 1

Glad to hear so many positive experiences with the Prius. Now looking at another ‘15 with 50k miles for $15.5k. Seems like a good deal.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:37 PM

The lady who cleans our home bought an older used Prius from an acquaintance, did a wonderful job detailing it and has been loving how little gas it uses compared to her former SUV. Two weeks ago I warned her about all the thefts of catalytic converters from Prius cars and other vehicles where they are easy to cut off. Sure enough, last week hers was stolen while she was parked in front of her home. MANY $$ for a replacement.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:02 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

We are lucky on the CAT theft front. Wife's Bolt was in the middle of 7 cars at work parking, all the ICE vehicles had CATS cut out.

My PHEV Pacifica has 2 cats, welded/integeral to the exhaust manifolds up high and tight to the motor thankfully.

Our previous 2 cars, the 2017-8 Fit and CRV are the highest of targets reportedly. AWD CRV you don't even have to jack up to get/in/under/out with the CAT!
Old 10-18-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Glad to hear so many positive experiences with the Prius. Now looking at another ‘15 with 50k miles for $15.5k. Seems like a good deal.

You might consider a 2016 or newer (Gen 4). Much improved over the Gen 3.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. Just a note, he’s an individual who honestly couldn’t care less of driving dynamics. He’s a drive at or below speed limit, 10-2 type of guy. MPG and reliability are top priorities.
He’ll love the Prius.

My wife is the same way and she’s loved her (now discontinued) 2012 Prius V every single day since it was new.

IMO… well, it’s certainly boring but OK for relaxed highway drives… well, except for the lack of low back support in the front seats.

My manual trans Jetta Sportwagen is much, much more fun to drive. And on the open highway approaches the Prius V mileage numbers.

Oh, and it has better seats…
Old 10-19-2021, 09:41 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
You might consider a 2016 or newer (Gen 4). Much improved over the Gen 3.
Actually, it’s a 2016! It’s a “C” trim, which means smaller cargo area, and potentially slightly less MPG?? Or so I read. He’s going to test drive it today.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:42 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
He’ll love the Prius.

My wife is the same way and she’s loved her (now discontinued) 2012 Prius V every single day since it was new.

IMO… well, it’s certainly boring but OK for relaxed highway drives… well, except for the lack of low back support in the front seats.

My manual trans Jetta Sportwagen is much, much more fun to drive. And on the open highway approaches the Prius V mileage numbers.

Oh, and it has better seats…
Do you use anything to improve lumbar support?
Old 10-19-2021, 10:17 AM

OT: Purchasing a used Prius

Quote:
Actually, it’s a 2016! It’s a “C” trim, which means smaller cargo area, and potentially slightly less MPG?? Or so I read. He’s going to test drive it today.

You mean a Prius C? I would stay away from that model. https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/toyota/prius-c
Old 10-19-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Do you use anything to improve lumbar support?
We have used a small foam pillow and a rolled up blanket in the lower back curvature area. We always use these additions if the ride is an hour or longer.

And yes, the ‘lumbar support’ adjustment that comes standard on the seat is on full maxed out position as well.

None of this stuff is needed in the Golf…