Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
But as to thread thickness, that is what I am most curious about with these. Buying tires with less tread thickness is a non starter for me.

Just to have a tire weigh 25 grams less at the start make zero sense to me. I will just ride it for and extra few hundred mile initially with more flat resistance to get that weight off myself.
The old GP 5000 TL was unlike most tubeless ready tires, in that it had an inner liner bonded to the inside of the casing. I think the GP 5000 TL was actually intended to be a true tubeless tire (true tubeless tires don't need sealant to be air tight). The new GP 5000 TR has no inner liner, and removing that alone will reduce weight by 25 - 50 grams, and reduce rolling resistance.

Old 10-19-2021, 10:49 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Anyone get their hands on a set yet?
Old 10-19-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
The old GP 5000 TL was unlike most tubeless ready tires, in that it had an inner liner bonded to the inside of the casing. I think the GP 5000 TL was actually intended to be a true tubeless tire (true tubeless tires don't need sealant to be air tight). The new GP 5000 TR has no inner liner, and removing that alone will reduce weight by 25 - 50 grams, and reduce rolling resistance.

Mark you're correct, the GP5000 TL was never a tubeless ready tire, but rather a fully tubeless tire ie meant to hold air without any sealant. To note:

Quote:
This is not a tubeless-ready tire, but a fully tubeless tire. The sealed casing is totally air tight.
https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/07/con...ark-road-tire/

While holding air without sealant sounds good on paper in reality/actual use you should always use sealant for both air retention and puncture resistance. And as mentioned in the article above Conti said that you needed to use sealant anyways, so what's the use of doing fully tubeless if you have to use sealant? The air retention feature added some weight (GP5Ks were always a heavier for a given size vs other performance tubeless ready tires) but it also seemed that it made the tires much harder to mount and remove since the bead needed to be very built up for air retention even though they specified the need for sealant to ensure air tightness. Why Continental decided to go this route is a mystery but at road pressures sealant is a must.

I have a set of the TR incoming soon, so will report back once received and mounted on my Enve 5.6s
Old 10-19-2021, 01:51 PM

V1 GP5000TL was Conti's narrowest tubeless tire to date, which meant that air retention and sealant retention at the higher pressures would both be more critical.

So, as a pioneering tire for them, they no doubt wanted to set high reputational standards on which future sales would depend.

With their road-tubeless reputation established, and with additional development efforts under their belt, the new tire is a bit more adventurous in pursuit of higher performance.

Conti's road tires being favorites of many riders, I kind of see this year as a turning point in terms of the maturity of road-tubeless (and now hookless) rim and tire design, and with Conti's new tire likely realizing tip-top performance in road-tubeless.