Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Can you tell me why, and how to use on-line dealing with the car dealerships to get the best price, without all the hidden or late appearing add-on costs?
A lot harder to wear you down or slide in costs when you're at home drinking coffee with all the time you need - and everything goes in writing via email.

I dont mind dealers, but I'm not going in to buy a car unless all the terms are settled before I walk in and I'm just there to sign the paperwork.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
A lot harder to wear you down or slide in costs when you're at home drinking coffee with all the time you need - and everything goes in writing via email.

I dont mind dealers, but I'm not going in to buy a car unless all the terms are settled before I walk in and I'm just there to sign the paperwork.
At what point do you see the car you want to buy & inspect it to make sure it's what you & the web guy are talking about? You do a walk around right before signing papers and driving away?
Old 02-03-2024, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
At what point do you see the car you want to buy & inspect it to make sure it's what you & the web guy are talking about? You do a walk around right before signing papers and driving away?
That's what I did. I did the entire deal over the phone in the comfort of my house. Told them I'd come in when the had the car detailed and ready to go (i bought a used car). When I got there, the sales guy handed me the keys and told me to take it out for as long as I wanted and he'd have the paperwork ready to sign when I got back. The truck was as I expected/as described, so no additional discussion was necessary.

I'll never sit at a dealership and negotiate again. That whole "let me talk to my manager" dance is ridiculous and made to make the customer feel not at ease.

In fact, the sales guy probably liked it too. Neither of us wasted any of each other's time. I feel I got a fair price, no drama included.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:33 AM
shimergo

Quote:
This was back in 2019, but I negotiated over email with multiple dealers until I was able to narrow it down to the best price. We agreed on the price and the day/time I would be there to check it out. There is still zero obligation at this point. The salesman (same person I was talking to via email) had the car ready out front for me when I got there. I did a thorough inspection of the exterior and interior then proceeded with a test drive. Once I got back to the dealership, I told the salesman we were good to go. While I did the paperwork with the finance guy, the car was prepped and refueled. By the time I was done with the paperwork, the car was ready to go. All in all it took a little over an hour.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:47 AM

Do dealers still do that thing where they list a car online for a VERY good price and then you call them to verify they still have it, come to find out, when you get there, it was "sold"? Happened to my ex twice in one day. Two dealers in Massachusetts not far from each other. Within an hour of calling to verify it was still there.

Both their excuses were: "Oh im sorry, the person on the phone was mistaken"
Old 02-03-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Do dealers still do that thing where they list a car online for a VERY good price and then you call them to verify they still have it, come to find out, when you get there, it was "sold"? Happened to my ex twice in one day. Two dealers in Massachusetts not far from each other. Within an hour of calling to verify it was still there.
I lost one fairly rare car due to a sales person not taking a deposit, running my card and writing sold on the board. With two other rare cars, I didn't hang up until the sales person confirmed that my card was run and the car taken off the market.

Interestingly enough, one of those cars was only a few miles from my house...but we were 1400 miles away in Florida at the time.

I do tend to seek out fairly rare cars (mostly option configurations) and I'm willing to buy over the phone, with inspection to be done prior to delivery (or in the case of my most recent purchase, the trust in the manufacturer's CPO program.)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-03-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
If its a new car, its not a problem - I've already figured that out.

If its a used car - get lots of pictures and walk around videos and do as much digging as I can on that car's history, the dealer selling it, and any dealer that sold it in the past. If I'm unsure about anything I can have a PPI done wherever the car is - I've bought plenty of cars that I didnt see until it showed up at my house on a truck.
Old 02-03-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Do dealers still do that thing where they list a car online for a VERY good price and then you call them to verify they still have it, come to find out, when you get there, it was "sold"?
If it was a VERY good price, wouldn't you'd expect it to sell really fast?
Old 02-03-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Both their excuses were: "Oh im sorry, the person on the phone was mistaken"
Oh, you've tried to buy a car from a Quirk dealership ?
Old 02-03-2024, 06:33 PM

Hey all you Eastern NC folks

If visiting in the Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh area with family (and bikes), Is The Neuse River Greenway Trail the best paved trail for family riding in area? We can stay in hotel about anywhere we want in general area. Thanks
Old 02-03-2024, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaero View Post
oh, you've tried to buy a car from a quirk dealership ?
yup!!!
Old 02-04-2024, 11:51 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Z06 w/ Z07 package. Sticker on it was $154k.

A gent down the street from me bought this Vette new in 1963…he said that the AM/FM radio was hard to get, never mind the spilt window and the FI. He’s always a regular at the invitation only Walnut Street event at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, for good reason.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:55 PM

Just fake it! Tell them you are interested in getting a loan, negotiate the lowest price possible with them thinking you're going to finance it, go back into the finance room, then simply tell them you changed your mind and you'll be paying cash, thank them for their time and write a check.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Just fake it! Tell them you are interested in getting a loan, negotiate the lowest price possible with them thinking you're going to finance it, go back into the finance room, then simply tell them you changed your mind and you'll be paying cash, thank them for their time and write a check.
The minute you say finance, you will fill out a credit app on the sales floor.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
He’s always a regular at the invitation only Walnut Street event at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, for good reason.
Fun times in Schenley Park!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy