Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Last summer my brother got this wonderful dog. He has 2 kids and now finds himself in the terrible situation where he feel their life just does not work. I guess a classic case of not realizing that a dog regardless of how nice is a lot of work and time of your all rdy busy day.

Its great that you're considering taking him on and also thinking hard about how it will impact your life. There's no doubt about it - you will feel more restricted in life. Vacations take extra planning, even just going away for a weekend or even a day trip somewhere takes more consideration. However, he will become your companion and I'm sure you'll love it. I now plan stuff for my dogs rather than around my dogs. I moved 3 hrs away from where I lived previously so that I could afford a place with a yard - and they've never seemed more chipper. Its very easy to see that they are happier and more content living here than in a small apartment.

With that said, 9 months is young. He could live until he is 15 years old. Do you want that length of potential commitment? If not, as you say, the breeder will find him a good home - hopefully one that considers this more than your brother (no offense).
Old 02-25-2024, 12:45 PM

This is Finley. She's a 4 month old Tasmanian Devil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6334.jpg (73.3 KB, 199 views)
Old 02-25-2024, 12:50 PM

Have to post another of my cuties. On the left, Niikko age 10 going on 2. The neighborhood calls him the mayor. On right, Lullaby almost 13 and was diagnosed with liver tumors well over 2.5 years ago, kidney disease. Still cranking along. Did nice little hike this AM

IMG_7421.jpg
Old 02-25-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
ot any pointers, thoughts or similar experience id love to hear about them.

Meet Heidi a 9 month old Bernadoodle .)

Good for you for taking her on. As mentioned by others, it is a commitment of both time and money, but the return just can't be measured. Good luck, but give both you and her months (6, maybe) to adjust to your new lives. I got a rescue that, after 13 months, started to really settle in. She was never a problem, but you could tell she went from being here to living here.

As a total aside, I feel bad for these "doodle" dogs. Designer dogs that the shelters get a LOT of because people think the of the dog as an accessory to their lives and not as something that requires effort.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLQ View Post
This is Finley. She's a 4 month old Tasmanian Devil.
Looks like someone got caught going on the couch!
Adorable.
Our Golden is 5 now. They are such great dogs.
If you all survive the first 2 years, that is.
Old 02-25-2024, 04:59 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Our girl Marley will be 2 in April. That two year comment is so true.
She's great, energy for days and a true retriever. Also a great house dog at just over 45lbs.
She's perhaps the gentlest dog I've been around too.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:24 PM

I never knew, but should have, that this thread was here. This is our little beagle about 4 years ago. She is 8 now with more white in the snout. She always has to be attached to my wife or me (her preference is my wife, but I will do in a pinch - ha ha but true).

Last edited by dcama5; 02-25-2024 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:56 PM

Beagles are my fav! Hearts of gold!! General my first beagle lived to 20….
Old 02-27-2024, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Its great that you're considering taking him on and also thinking hard about how it will impact your life. There's no doubt about it - you will feel more restricted in life. Vacations take extra planning, even just going away for a weekend or even a day trip somewhere takes more consideration. However, he will become your companion and I'm sure you'll love it. I now plan stuff for my dogs rather than around my dogs. I moved 3 hrs away from where I lived previously so that I could afford a place with a yard - and they've never seemed more chipper. Its very easy to see that they are happier and more content living here than in a small apartment.

With that said, 9 months is young. He could live until he is 15 years old. Do you want that length of potential commitment? If not, as you say, the breeder will find him a good home - hopefully one that considers this more than your brother (no offense).

Thanks yeah Heidi has now stayed with me for 2 full days. So im trying to juggle work and a puppy. The toughtest part so far has been the sleep depravation. I try to take her out for our last walk and bathroom visit as late as possible so she wont have the urge in the middle of the night, so far that is not working out all that great as she wakes me up at least once for, i dunno just saying hello?, and then once more for a bathroom break. Guess im just not used to not sleeping consequtive hours. Must say im bit suprised of how tired i am. Hopefully this will get better tho, she wont need as many frequent breaks and i will hopefully adapt to not getting my 7 hours undisturbed sleep.

Shes been a doll about letting me be when working i must say, its like she gets that im at work when i sit down infront of the laptop.

Now soon time for lunch and walk
Have a small area closed out for dogs so they can run free just a couple of 100 meters from me which really helps as when she runs around with other dogs she gets a lot more excercise than im able to provide with just walking and she looks like shes having a lot more fun as well

I find it tough when she has been laying around my feet for 2 hours while working when casually looking up at me as to say when is it my time ? Damn those cute eyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Good for you for taking her on. As mentioned by others, it is a commitment of both time and money, but the return just can't be measured. Good luck, but give both you and her months (6, maybe) to adjust to your new lives. I got a rescue that, after 13 months, started to really settle in. She was never a problem, but you could tell she went from being here to living here.

As a total aside, I feel bad for these "doodle" dogs. Designer dogs that the shelters get a LOT of because people think the of the dog as an accessory to their lives and not as something that requires effort.

Cheers, yeah i have time and money should not be an issue not that im rich or anything like that but its more of a priority thing. Ill have to buy less bikes .) wont have the time to ride them as much anyways.
Yeah i can see how it could take a while for a dog to settle in esp after all rdy forming a pack with their first family. She seems to be really cool about beeing with me and hopefully with time she will take me and our home for granted if we decide to spend our time together.

In my brothers defense it was not that kind of purchase. But yeah i agree im also a bit pissed at him for getting a dog that he cant care for properly, its the reason i dont all rdy have a dog cause i would never be able to give it up in a smilar situation i would stick with it regardless (or so i would like to think but i dont have kids or the same buzy schedule so i dont want to pretend i know what its like).

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 02-27-2024 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:29 AM

Glad to hear its going well. Surprised she is going out for toilet breaks regularly in the middle of the night at her age but every dog is different I suppose.

On the note of exercise, this may just be specific to my two dogs as one's a scent hound and one's a vermin hunting killing machine, but I strongly recommend an extra long leash. I'll be the first to admit that I have no recall with my dogs if there's something more interesting to them than me, so when I take them to the beach or a big open piece of land, I want to let them run free but still be tethered to me somehow. Therefore I use a 30ft leash for each of them. Lets them run relatively free and sniff wherever they want, but if one of them finds something gross on the floor I can still pull them away from it.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:44 AM

Cats?

Any love for kitties here? If inappropriate for this thread my apologies. And if the mods want to move/remove that's fine. This is Chevelle. Named after the band or the car. Both are cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2024-02-27 11.41.46.jpg (69.3 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:02 AM

Updated with better image of Dinah. Bonus SB20 footage in the background!

Last edited by Turkle; 02-27-2024 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:05 AM
extremely tall

This is Winnie! About 4mos old; came up to VT from Alabama via New England Lab Rescue-great org if you’re looking! She’s a big fan of the bully stick, her treat kong, and burrowing into the bed with her humans after spending the night in her crate. Not as big a fan of sit, stay and come so far…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5245.jpg (111.6 KB, 108 views)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:12 AM

Sparky the cat aka The Villain 5yo
& Zelda 2yo

Old 02-27-2024, 01:28 PM

Miss Magnolia or Maggie. She is 5 and been with us since last June. She was a breeder until then. Usual Chow behavior which includes naps, leave me alone, eating and the occasional zoomies on a walk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maggie smiling.jpg (109.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Maggie on chair 2.jpg (127.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Maggie sleeping.jpg (141.8 KB, 82 views)