Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 05:26 PM

RAMROD is done!!

I've been on RAMROD's mailing list for a while since I entered the event 5 years ago and today got an email saying the event is discontinued!! Wording was "we received notice that our event is no longer deemed necessary and appropriate use of Mt Rainier NP". Even though I've only done this ride once I enjoyed it tremendously...... except for Cayuse Pass at 94 deg F!!! Jesus H it was hot!!

Thought it was a well run event that always sold out but obviously many factors involved in having this in a NP. Anyone know what ultimately made it a "no go"? I'm not tremendously familiar with the area and access roads into / out of Mt Rainier NP. I was certainly hoping to do it again and sad to see it go.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:45 PM

Damn, I've always wanted to do that one. Disappointing. I wonder if it has to do with the ever-increasing number of people trying to get into our national parks.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:12 PM

I too had RAMROD on my bucket list.

The website has information about what steps the cycling club is trying to reverse the decision, but not an explanation of the underlying decision.

The ask is to reach out to "Rep. Schrier and Senator Murray's offices, expressing your desire to see RAMROD continue."

http://www.redmondcyclingclub.org/RAMROD/RAMROD.html
Old 02-29-2024, 07:28 PM
what's a little rust?

I will venture a guess that a) car and RV traffic is way up, b) narrow twisty roads with no shoulder make for long backups, and c) drivers complained about a and b.

The truth is that slow-moving RVs make long backups all summer long. There's also traffic pressure from people transiting between Enumclaw and Eastern Washington, and no Zion or Glacier-style bus system to get cars off the roads.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:00 PM
Byron

I haven't ridden this ride for several years, but did for several.
I'm surprised this shut down took this long.
The Park Service has never truly been behind this event.
I understand their safety and park use reasoning.
It began as a race timed event.
The Redmond Cycling Club kept it going by volunteer work for the park and donations.
They had a good run, but there are more bang for the buck rides in Western Washington in my opinion.
I have several friends who have ridden this every year for decades.
I know they'll be disappointed.
Now they have to find new motivation for their training season.

Last edited by bironi; 02-29-2024 at 08:02 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 03-01-2024, 12:16 AM

The Park Service will be requiring reservations set for a specific time of entry to access the popular parts of Mount Rainier this year. I suspect that that change makes an event like RAMROD impossible.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:32 AM

Dang, I was hoping to do this.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:39 AM

Shame. I was registered to ride RAMROD in 2020 but that was cancelled.
Old 03-01-2024, 10:56 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
I've been on RAMROD's mailing list for a while since I entered the event 5 years ago and today got an email saying the event is discontinued!! Wording was "we received notice that our event is no longer deemed necessary and appropriate use of Mt Rainier NP". Even though I've only done this ride once I enjoyed it tremendously...... except for Cayuse Pass at 94 deg F!!! Jesus H it was hot!!

Thought it was a well run event that always sold out but obviously many factors involved in having this in a NP. Anyone know what ultimately made it a "no go"? I'm not tremendously familiar with the area and access roads into / out of Mt Rainier NP. I was certainly hoping to do it again and sad to see it go.
That is a shame...guessing that the park is too crowded these days to have so many cyclists on the road.

I did RAMROD back in 1995 & 1996 (the alternate route that went to Packwood and up Skate Creek Road).....bloody hot both years.

if looking for an alternate ride...check out Tour de Blast...not as long (80+ miles), and not as much climbing (6000+), but good roads, low traffic and great views.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
That is a shame...guessing that the park is too crowded these days to have so many cyclists on the road.

I did RAMROD back in 1995 & 1996 (the alternate route that went to Packwood and up Skate Creek Road).....bloody hot both years.

if looking for an alternate ride...check out Tour de Blast...not as long (80+ miles), and not as much climbing (6000+), but good roads, low traffic and great views.
Thanks for the Tour de Blast recommendation. I did that one maybe 12 years ago. Most of the ride except the last 10 miles was in very heavy rain. Close to being hypothermic for a good part of the ride..... even on the uphill. Downhill couldn't feel hands or feet IIRC. Excellent ride though but I've been told I like to suffer. . There were absolutely ZERO views to be had!!
Old 03-01-2024, 11:28 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
This is a great suggestion. Do I remember reading that there are road use restrictions during this event? Which is even smarter than adding cyclists to a high volume of vehicle traffic.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:14 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
This is a great suggestion. Do I remember reading that there are road use restrictions during this event? Which is even smarter than adding cyclists to a high volume of vehicle traffic.
Yes, just checked the website and it looks like the road was washed out going up to Johnson Ridge...sounds like they hope to have it open and should have an update sometime in Spring.

FWIW - I've done the ride about six times and had the good fortune to ride with our friend "gasman" one year......fond memories for sure!
Old 03-01-2024, 12:16 PM

I made the mistake of riding RAMROD in 1989 instead of 1988.

In 1988 I rode a lot and rode the one day STP about 3 weeks before hand. And in my STP training I had ridden up to Paradise. So it should have been my RAMROD year.

In 1989 I had not ridden much and less than a week before RAMROD a friend said he was registered but could not ride. So off I went. Everything was great until a flat a little before the climb to Paradise. Then another flat on the climb forced me to go back to a bike service area near the bottom of the climb. I had tire damage and used the dollar bill patch to get back to the service area. Then 1/2 way up the climb it started to rain and at Paradise it was 39 degrees and a lot of rain. I went into the Lodge and then my upper back froze up. Due to the weather they had vans taking people back to the start. I took the van option. Plenty of rain, thunder and lightning on the rest of the course but riders were out there battling the elements.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2024, 01:16 PM

I rode RAMROD last year, my first time. It was great, beautiful day on the bike. I had a lot of leftover fitness from training for IM last spring, it made such a long, but casual, ride a real joy.

I'm really glad now that I didn't put it off another year!

I feel bad for everyone that volunteered last year with the expectation of getting guaranteed entry this year.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:12 AM
what's a little rust?

https://www.seattlebikeblog.com/2024...stead-of-july/

September 4. I begin daydreaming again about trying to get in.
Pro: Usually a beautiful time of year, more temperate but more temperature change throughout the day. I like cool to hot to cool.
Con: less daylight.
Pro: the proposed direction makes the climbs long but not prohibitively steep.
Con: it’s after the high season traffic restrictions, how RV-y will it be?