Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Last two bikes I have sold are a new Colnago C60 frame and a vintage Colnago Super cross bike I have lost $700 from my purchase prices (slightly more the 10% deprecaition) . So I am not sure the bike market is in the tank. Maybe certain bikes are in the tank.

I sold the Super on PL and it took forever which for less than $1500. For the C60 I sold eleswhere for $500 less than I paid for (bought it in Europe). PL is not the place to sell expense stuff for a number of reasons.

I dont expect to sell my Festka here even though you cannot find one for sale anywhere else.
Yes, everything has it's outliers.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM

go on...

Last edited by Freddy Merckx; 12-08-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 AM

I have sold many highend bits and frames and in my book, I may be wrong, but I don't look at the price I paid for it. I see what I can get in return at the point of the sale. Example C60 frame for $2100 I can get a great deal on another bike at this time. So under sell to get the deal on the next bike. The C60 doesn't owe me anything, not sitting on a credit card or financed. People that get hung up on what they spend on the initial investment end up listing too high and the stuff sits and sits.

Or the people that are dumb enough to use those plastic card things that increase your investment month to month. I can't believe the people that would finance a bike. My LBS and I'm sure yours, advertise the finance rate now along with the bike. This is why I think the big brands reached the stratospheric prices they are asking these days. It has turned into the Invicta watch scam, $5000 MSRP yours for $199.99. In my eyes that Trek I can put together for under $4000. The parts are a dime a dozen.

In the end timing and the market decides how your bike sells oh and geometry!
Old 12-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck*this View Post
It has turned into the Invicta watch scam, $5000 MSRP yours for $199.99.
what's the invicta watch scam all about?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
what's the invicta watch scam all about?

Maybe scam was the wrong word to use but that's what I feel it is. Lets call it a "sales tactic." Inflated MSRP to show the purchaser they are actually getting a good deal at the price that it should be at in the 1st place. My numbers were over exaggerated but just making a point.

Home shopping networks are notorious for this "tactic" also.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Invicta-17205...atches+for+men

Another example: https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...d-295568-1.htm

Last edited by huck*this; 12-08-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I have sold many highend bits and frames and in my book, I may be wrong, but I don't look at the price I paid for it. I see what I can get in return at the point of the sale. Example C60 frame for $2100 I can get a great deal on another bike at this time. So under sell to get the deal on the next bike. The C60 doesn't owe me anything, not sitting on a credit card or financed. People that get hung up on what they spend on the initial investment end up listing too high and the stuff sits and sits.
^^^This. I don't typically buy bike stuff based on resale value. Like any good with a value depreciation schedule, I buy it for the value that it provides me and keep it as long as the value it provides me is > its current real monetary value. Once that balance flips and its worth more as cash value than enjoyment, it gets moved along and I repurpose the funding to something else that I enjoy more. TBO - I think most of the folks here use a similar strategy and why we see so many good deals on nice gear.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Maybe scam was the wrong word to use but that's what I feel it is. Lets call it a "sales tactic." Inflated MSRP to show the purchaser they are actually getting a good deal at the price that it should be at in the 1st place. My numbers were over exaggerated but just making a point.

Home shopping networks are notorious for this "tactic" also.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Invicta-17205...atches+for+men

Another example: https://www.bikegallery.com/product/...d-295568-1.htm
Mens wear also notorious for this practice. Ever wonder why JoSABank et al. seems to offer regular 12 for the price 1 sale or whatever crazy deal? They make a boat load on the folks that are either forced to or too impatient to wait and buy at full price and still make solid profit on their "sale" margins.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Mens wear also notorious for this practice. Ever wonder why JoSABank et al. seems to offer regular 12 for the price 1 sale or whatever crazy deal? They make a boat load on the folks that are either forced to or too impatient to wait and buy at full price and still make solid profit on their "sale" margins.
Correct! I also think there was an investigation on them due to this. JUNK and makes me mad.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:04 PM

No way man, for $199 you can get TWELVE pairs of socks, THREE trousers, EIGHT ties, FOUR suits, TWO pairs of shoes, FOUR belts and TWENTY SIX handkerchiefs. That's value.

Quote:
Correct! I also think there was an investigation on them due to this. JUNK and makes me mad.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
In my eyes that Trek I can put together for under $4000. The parts are a dime a dozen.

DA9100 Di2 = $2500 (US bought w warranty)
Bontrager Tubs = $2200 (US made w warranty)
CF Bar/Stem/Saddle = $400

That’s $5100, so where do I get the ProTour frameset w warranty for $900?

Granted, everything can be had for less w no warranty and slightly used, but for what it is, that Trek is a solid buy.

Also, they offer 12 months no interest - but if you’re late paying it off, get ready for 24% compounded from Day 1.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:28 PM

That Trek is a piece of mind deal. And most cats who buy it will ride it for an average of 15 years. So into their 70's. Lifetime bika right there.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Just wait until you see the high-end frames that I'm going to post in the Classifieds shortly. I'll be doing my part to soften the market.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Just wait until you see the high-end frames that I'm going to post in the Classifieds shortly. I'll be doing my part to soften the market.

Good dude right here!
Old 12-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I wish I hadn't read that... ;-)
Old 12-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I wish I hadn't read that... ;-)
57.5 top tubers get ready.