Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
you fellas are all waaaay too organized.

So, i volunteer to show pics of *my* shop to bang the drum for all the bike-messies
I just had a major OCD flare up after seeing those I need to go out and just stand in my workshop or reorganize something! Though picture #3 with the wood shelves was redeeming.

Looks like a fun place.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
you fellas are all waaaay too organized.

So, i volunteer to show pics of *my* shop to bang the drum for all the bike-messies
Yeah, that's messy, but nothing like mine. I really desperately need to do some cleanup. Just retrieved some fork blades to list them on ebay and made it much, much worse. But I recently realized that a lot of my bike work should be done in the basement, so that's going to make things better. Maybe worse for the basement though.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Administrator

fix that rear shelf my man!

Old 12-17-2017, 01:13 PM

I have at least divided my workshop into two parts, "clean" and "dirty or smelly", with a closing door between them.

I use the crawl space (under the garage) with it's irregular floor contour for the dirty parts of my work. Here I can fire up the bench grinder, use aerosol sprays, heat things with the torch and file away at metal while my clean shop doesn't see/feel/smell any of the dust, fumes or smoke. It has lighting, is cross-ventilated to the outdoors, and has a home-spun "Gunnite" sort of floor surface that is conducive to frequent sweeping. The dirt floor no longer crumbles since I doused it with acrylic-fortified liquid Portland cement! Also there is much storage space in there, just ten feet from the clean workshop space and low-ceiling "museum" room where my two-wheeled vintage arsenal resides.

My "clean" workshop is disorganized to the point where I won't show it, I build/repair quite a few wheels in there and keep most-used repair bits scattered about. Good lighting is the main focus, plus there is a refrigerator, but I have to use an adjacent laundry room for tasks requiring running water.

Formerly-unused basement space is a very good thing when a house has no drainage or moisture problems. The "wet" look of the cement "flooring" is actually the acrylic fortifier, not moisture!

Last edited by dddd; 12-17-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I have at least divided my workshop into two parts, "clean" and "dirty or smelly", with a closing door between them.

I use the crawl space (under the garage) with it's irregular floor contour for the dirty parts of my work. Here I can fire up the bench grinder, use aerosol sprays, heat things with the torch and file away at metal while my clean shop doesn't see/feel/smell any of the dust, fumes or smoke. It has lighting, is cross-ventilated to the outdoors, and has a home-spun "Gunnite" sort of floor surface that is conducive to frequent sweeping. The dirt floor no longer crumbles since I doused it with acrylic-fortified liquid Portland cement! Also there is much storage space in there, just ten feet from the clean workshop space and low-ceiling "museum" room where my two-wheeled vintage arsenal resides.

My "clean" workshop is disorganized to the point where I won't show it, I build/repair quite a few wheels in there and keep most-used repair bits scattered about. Good lighting is the main focus, plus there is a refrigerator, but I have to use an adjacent laundry room for tasks requiring running water.

Formerly-unused basement space is a very good thing when a house has no drainage or moisture problems. The "wet" look of the cement "flooring" is actually the acrylic fortifier, not moisture!
Wow, I'm loving your collection of frames and bikes. Two racks of spare frames plus one rack of fully-built ! Schweeeeet!!!!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've updated my home workshop. Still a work in progress. Yes, there's beer in the fridge.

The maroon filing cabinet came from a buddy who acquired it while stationed on Quantico. The white cabinets came from a buddy who was upgrading his customer's kitchen.

The space to the right of the white cabinets is pending me making a framework for another pair of glass doors. The space is wider than the doors, so I gotta make something. ...that and the cabinet the doors came off of disintegrated due to wet

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180210_120638_resized.jpg (101.1 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg 20180210_120633_resized.jpg (80.5 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg 20180210_120614_resized.jpg (74.5 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg 20180210_120609_resized.jpg (74.7 KB, 521 views)

Last edited by Gummee; 02-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I've updated my home workshop. Still a work in progress. Yes, there's beer in the fridge.

The maroon filing cabinet came from a buddy who acquired it while stationed on Quantico. The white cabinets came from a buddy who was upgrading his customer's kitchen.

The space to the right of the white cabinets is pending me making a framework for another pair of glass doors. The space is wider than the doors, so I gotta make something. ...that and the cabinet the doors came off of disintegrated due to wet

M
Cool! Are those tools clinging to horizontal magnet bars?
Old 02-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcap View Post
Cool! Are those tools clinging to horizontal magnet bars?
Si I've got one more 2' magnet I need to mount somewhere

M

edited to add: I got the plywood behind the white cabinets from the same buddy that gave me the filing cabinet. It's ONE INCH thick plywood. Can you say 'massive overkill?!' The other side also came from the same guy, but it's only 3/8" The shelf above the main tool area came from Mom's kitchen remodel. I should probably paint that before it gets beat up.

Last edited by Gummee; 02-10-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:39 PM

How are the tools clinging to your truing stand? Is everything in your shop magnetized?
Old 10-15-2023, 02:04 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
How are the tools clinging to your truing stand? Is everything in your shop magnetized?
since this thread popped back up onto the 1st page and I'm just now seeing this post AND assuming that question was for me (and I haven't already answered) the answer is yes.

Got some rare earth magnets from a hobby shop next to one of the shops I used to work for and attached them and the spoke wrenches to the truing stand.

I always know where my spoke wrenches are since they're right on the truing stand

The new to me van I'm kitting out as a mobile workshop has 6 x 18" magnets waiting to go onto the wall. 1st step tho is to figure out how to cut a hunk of HDPE to match the curvature of the van's opposite wall for a workstand.

M

edited to add: there's newer stuff on the board, but since I come home, work on something for a few min, then have to do something else, I'm pretty type B on this bench. Work? Different story. There everything's clean and put away since a. customers see the work area (van or shop), and b. that's how I make my living.

I'm always trying to put things I always use front and center where I can reach tools easily. Things I don't use often are on the outer edges and higher or lower than 'right in front of me.' So folding wrench sets are right where I can grab them, etc

Last edited by Gummee; 10-15-2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:19 PM
Randomhead

If my shop ever gets as messy as the ones in this thread, I will have spent a couple weeks cleaning.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
If my shop ever gets as messy as the ones in this thread, I will have spent a couple weeks cleaning.
When asked about his messy desk, Einstein remarked “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, then what are we to think of an empty desk?”
Old 10-15-2023, 05:34 PM

If the basis for a bike room is that it’s badass, I have a leg up today - I set two rat traps for my furry friends that are starting to piss me off. I have a bunch of bike stuff, some ****ty old tools and an OG trainer (aka no computer , screen, etc) sitting on gravel to pedal away winter km.

Truth be told, I would love a nice, clean, well lit, rodent free space with a really awesome stationary bike setup to do this - I cannot deny this!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post

If you get a chance, I would love to see some more pictures of that Holdsworth.

Please?
Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
If you get a chance, I would love to see some more pictures of that Holdsworth.

Please?

Here's three fresh ones, got that 12-34t on the back for those straight-up sort of rides that I do maybe twice a year.
The wheels took me quite a while to find the front rim in red 28h for the "Naked" hub I wanted to use, remember those?