Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 05:41 AM

We have one that I've donated to in the past and this thread is a good reminder I should go through my stuff and see if I have anything for them this year. For anyone in the twin cities it's called Express Bike Shop and is on Selby in St Paul and can always use our stuff that still has a use but maybe isn't something you want to bother selling and shipping.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:00 AM
coffee consumer

"bring beer" and "work on your bike" turned into "beer not allowed for insurance reasons" and "shop stations set-up by volunteer mechanics perform maintenance at discounted rates"...they had a lot of other problems too in terms of non-consistent hours, cliquish group, shop tools grew legs often....not even sure if they're still operating.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 AM

I donate and sporadically volunteer at Recycled Cycles in Ottawa (http://www.re-cycles.ca/). When I lived in Montreal I did the same at SantroVelo in the Plateau (https://santropolroulant.org/en/what...es/santrovelo/). Great places to work with and a fun place to spend a winter's evening. They get my unused bike stuff and whenever I see a bike in the neighbourhood trash I'll pick it up and drive it to them.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
"bring beer" and "work on your bike" turned into "beer not allowed for insurance reasons" and "shop stations set-up by volunteer mechanics perform maintenance at discounted rates"...they had a lot of other problems too in terms of non-consistent hours, cliquish group, shop tools grew legs often....not even sure if they're still operating.
Unfortunately that is the way that some of them can turn. It takes a good bit of dedicated leadership to keep things going strong.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:44 PM

I taught classes for a few years at the Bike Kitchen in San Francisco. Got harder to make time when I moved back to the East Bay (still working in the city), and for the past couple of years haven't had the time/energy to get involved at Spokeland, but I do periodically donate nice/complete/usable things. (Which reminds me, I have a big box for them that's been sitting around for a couple months now.)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:37 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Unfortunately that is the way that some of them can turn. It takes a good bit of dedicated leadership to keep things going strong.
clearly a free place to hang out and work on bikes isn't a good business model unless you're funded with deep pockets or have a buddy with extra space. Personally I think a good idea would be to open a small bar (3-4 taps) with several bike work stations.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 PM

I live in Olympia, WA and the state college in town has an excellent volunteer run community bike kitchen. They survive because they're essentially grandfathered in as a registered student group, which means they're guaranteed a minimum level of funding each year in addition to an annual working budget they propose. I'm sure some folks would be opposed to the notion of taxes 'subsidizing' a bike shop but they provide an invaluable resource and help people build up bikes from scratch, all parts and labor provided for free. I've dropped off parts there over the years and even though I don't volunteer any time I go in I end up helping other folks regardless.

Last edited by caspian; 11-16-2017 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
THe two coops I know here are more like a store than a coop, specially one in falls church, the owner is a hoarder that makes super sale events each like 3 years when he realize he needs more room or when the fire marshal gets to the building and threat them to close the building, the 2 times Ive been in the super sale event I saw just tons of Cr@p going for expensive prices. Tons and tons of bins with virtually junk, the used good stuff we see in the forums was located in the building and was not for sale or the dude was asking brand new store prices.

The other Coop which never been at post some stuff at CL time to time, full retail price for stuff they got for free. I do get they get donations and they have expenses but IMO disguise a shop behind the name coop is not like the right thing to do.
I think I have been to both places. They seem to benefit from below-market rents and survive on hand-to-mouth sales and service. I'm sure they would make more money selling used cars or something, but I'm glad they are trying to make it with bikes. Their good stuff is priced high, but it is their collection, and they are collectors more than riders or retailers. I like walking in like the American picker guys and getting shot down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk