Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Now think about the absurdity of the customer (i.e. the person shipping) PAYING to insurance the goods sent.

Why is this absurd?

Well, the customer is paying insurance IN CASE THE SUPPLIER MESSES UP.

Think about this for a second. Do we pay Ford to insure that the car they sell us can actually break? Do we pay Safeway extra insurance in case we get sick from the apples we buy there? Do we pay insurance cost for the airline to NOT loose our luggage?

Nope.

The shipping and transport companies are the only ones that charge us MORE to make sure that if they mess up, we can get some money.

***sigh*** Shipping and receiving is just an awful business.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM

Second pic, double rim rear wheel in the background? Vintage fat bike!
Old 11-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Vendor

I should've posted more the first time but I was busy and trying to deal with a ton of stupid stuff. So here's all the details.

So this is our Extensor XCr frame. It was built up at a shop for Bicycling Magazine. It was supposed to be in the buyers guide. Clearly not now tho.

When I got the bike back from the build we ended up switching the wheelset out cause Lightweight wanted them back for something. No biggie. Plus Rotor was going to send us their new hubs anyways. But after we switched the wheels, it was making some horrible noises and we had to trouble shoot it. After a month of working on it here, they said we needed to send it to them cause they couldn't figure it out over the phone.

Now, there's where everything went sideways. Originally, they wanted me to send the frameset and they build it up there. I was headset against it for fear of damage or something needing done and it not getting done to my satisfaction. As it were the BB shell needed ground out for the hydro lines. Which I did at the shop. That took a couple hours cause the tubing killed dremel bits quick.

So that's why we met up.

I packed up the frame and fork like I usually do. 3/8" thick foam pipe insulation on all the tubing. See attached pictures. Note, RBA removed some packing materials in their picture. And they also said they have never had a company send a bike so well packed before. I do this for every single frame/bike. Bikes get side to side bolstering so they don't move around. Frames, they get suspended in cardboard so they don't touch the sides. I also put block in the dropouts. Rear Der gets removed when possible. Bars get full foam wrap from one end to the other. Levers get foam wrap. It's very well packed.

So when i sent the bike out, I tried to take off the rear derailleur but it was starting to kink the hose trying to get it out of the way. So i put it back on. As it was, the hose ripped out of the rear derailleur and had to be re-bled by them. The hanger bent on the trip out. They also said there was one chip in the frame(headtube).

When they got it they re-bled the shifters and brakes. They did some other things that kind of sort of fixed the problem. It's still there. Just 75% and not 100%. They packed it back up but used the foam from the handlebar for something else. So the bar is all scared up due to that. The other chips/paint damage is for the same reason. packing materials removed. i had foam on the rear derailleur. it came back with out it. I had foam on the bottom of the fork. it came back without it. I had it on the cranks and other parts and it came back without it. Most of the damage happened on the way back which sadly, they did not insure the shipment.

So the problems, yes, partly packing partly shipper. Cause the only way you bend a hanger is if the box i played down and stuff put on it. The brake lever, who knows how that happened. the bar, i'm gonna try and wet sand it smooth but it has some serous gouges in it. the hanger needs replaced cause it's cracked.

So yes, it's FedEx's fault on the way out. And yes, it's UPS's fault on the way back. But yes it's the shippers fault on the way back. If it's my fault on the hanger on the way out fine. But there wasn't much I could do. And the boxes I use are slightly larger width, length and height than the normal ones to make sure I can add padding. I am almost thinking of getting a full foam sheet to put on either side of the box to avoid more compression damage.

But that's the full story as to what happened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame packed, ready for shipping.jpg (64.9 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg 15094355_10154710619796310_5011353732988349740_n.jpg (90.0 KB, 305 views)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:52 PM

No padding on the der hanger for frame picture. No padding around ser for partial build. Zero surprise both were damaged. The corners take the most abuse in shipment, and that's a sensitive part of the bike that needs more care than it was given.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
No padding on the der hanger for frame picture. No padding around ser for partial build. Zero surprise both were damaged. The corners take the most abuse in shipment, and that's a sensitive part of the bike that needs more care than it was given.
The frame had padding around the dropouts before it was shipped.

The complete bike had padding around the dropouts and the derailleur was removed during shipping for that frame. The derailleur was put in a padded pouch and zipped to the padding on the chainstay so it didn't move.

The complete bike in the box, that arrived to RBA perfect. No damage at all. On the way back it was damaged. It was not returned the same way as in the picture. When I got the bike back, it had/has a dent in the downtube, the der hanger was bent. The drive side dropout was bent backwards and the derailleur was attached and shipped attached.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 PM

Doesn't someone make giant bags filled with expanding foam to literally encase stuff in thick foam once it cures? I've received some things that something similar was used... never bike related. Don't know whether it would work for bikes but maybe worth looking into. Two pre-shaped foam shells, place bike in the middle, place in box, seal n ship... and hope they don't run it over with a truck or a fork lift.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 11-13-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Doesn't someone make giant bags filled with expanding foam to literally encase stuff in thick foam once it cures? I've received some things that something similar was used... never bike related. Don't know whether it would work for bikes but maybe worth looking into. Two pre-shaped foam shells, place bike in the middle, place in box, seal n ship... and hope they don't run it over with a truck or a fork lift.
Yes. It actually comes in two 55 gal drums and expands to fill the voids. I have no idea on the cost. Easy to use, may be some upfront costs. A factory I used to deliver and pick up from used it for expensive, custom molds.

Movement is what kills anything in shipping, that would eliminate any movement.

I doubt it would reusable, so it may not be worth it in this situation. I still think something like an AirCaddy is the best bet.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:19 PM

Stop messing about and build plywood crates.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Yes. It actually comes in two 55 gal drums and expands to fill the voids. I have no idea on the cost. Easy to use, may be some upfront costs. A factory I used to deliver and pick up from used it for expensive, custom molds.

Movement is what kills anything in shipping, that would eliminate any movement.

I doubt it would reusable, so it may not be worth it in this situation. I still think something like an AirCaddy is the best bet.

the expanding foam could be interesting but probably hard to work with for something like a bike.

It's funny the people who mentioned air caddy. PEZ mentioned them cause i have a bike for him. and he knows what's going on. he mentioned them. Never used an air caddy.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales guy View Post
the expanding foam could be interesting but probably hard to work with for something like a bike.

It's funny the people who mentioned air caddy. PEZ mentioned them cause i have a bike for him. and he knows what's going on. he mentioned them. Never used an air caddy.
The foam is actually easy to work with, but time is of the essence. You need to get the bike in place while it’s still ‘warm’.

An Aircaddy costs $100, and you can buy another outer shell when it wears out. Check them out. Be aware that they are expensive to ship, though.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Small ring

My bike in an AirCaddy arrived safe and sound today. The AirCaddy has made at least 4 cross country round trips and has at least one, maybe more trips left in it before I buy the new skin.

I would highly recommend it for personal/show/review bikes. I did fashion an insert for the front wheel, which the caddy doesn't have. I'm not sure it's needed except for piece of mind. You do have to rotate the bars, but not remove them, if that's an issue.

Let us know how your sage resolves.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
My bike in an AirCaddy arrived safe and sound today. The AirCaddy has made at least 4 cross country round trips and has at least one, maybe more trips left in it before I buy the new skin.

I would highly recommend it for personal/show/review bikes. I did fashion an insert for the front wheel, which the caddy doesn't have. I'm not sure it's needed except for piece of mind. You do have to rotate the bars, but not remove them, if that's an issue.

Let us know how your sage resolves.
i have shipped things in the bike world for a long time. Just recent.y there has been a bunch of problems. Mainly with FedEx. Between them losing two identical boxes saying the labels came off(they didn't) and than having these two bikes damaged. I have used DHL to ship things back and forth to Britain and have never had an issue. Oddly, back when I was in shoes and accessories, I used FedEx and never had a problem. Just now. The damage on the way back was UPS. That was poor packing on the way back. But you gotta bounce the box around a lot to damage things in the middle of the box.

I will look into air caddy. Never used them. I know Allied used them when they drove out to SLC for NAHBS. Their van was full of them. I did something different which i always do and never had a problem. The FedEx/UPS thing this time kind of bugs me more cause I was worried about shipping the bike out to begin with. I have shipped dozens of frames and every single one has been perfect. Only a few bikes. And of them, 3 damaged out of 8 completes. I guess it's just bad luck right now. But it really sucks.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM

Maybe you should invest in some shipping shock indicators. Place one outside and inside the bike box or container. Then you have proof it was mishandled (or hopefully not mishandled). If you buy them in bulk (say a pack of 25 or 50) it ends up being a few bucks each sensor.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:35 PM

For your really nice bikes (or any bike for that matter), why not just ship the darned thing in a bike hard case and ask the recipient to send it back via a postage paid label?

Problem solved.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Plywood? isnt cheaper just get hard plastic bike cases?? Never had a problem with mine and survived 2 overseas trips back and forth.