Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
...well, except that eTap didn't exist in 2010. So what I really should have done from the get-go (and what I really want to share with anyone considering a coupled travel bike who's happy with mechanical shifting) is get split cable stops on the downtube rather than enclosed cable stops on the headtube, so that I could completely remove the bars without them being tethered to the front half of the frame.
this is why i use friction DT shifters. i just pull the cables entirely.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:20 PM

We've got two in the family - a converted Serotta Fierte steel frame, couplers added by Bilenky; and a Hampsten S&S coupled ti Strada Bianca. We've done three trips with them - three really fantastic trips. Being able to travel to someplace cool and explore by bike together has been wonderful, and worth every penny.

Low spoke count wheels definitely help with packing. We're using Campy Zondas these days. I've tried it with 32 and 28 spoke wheels and it's much easier getting handlebars to thread in with the 20-21 spoke wheels.

Notice a few pics above with the 'newer' crank/bottom bracket styles. I've stuck with older Octalink bottom brackets and matching cranks - also just a little easier to deal with packing-wise.

Am thinking about going etap on my bike. Sure would make things simple, assuming that everything works OK. Need to make sure the RD Wifli setup will handle a 34T cog, though, first.

Using the netting to tie everything down helps with possible losses when TSA opens up the box to look around. The compression members (just cheap pvc tubes) help with keeping things from getting smashed, too.

Finally, don't forget to pack your chamois crème in your bike box or in your checked luggage. Otherwise, kiss it goodbye at security...

Last edited by tv_vt; 11-15-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:43 PM

I know I have posted about how much I love my S & S converted bike on more than one occasion. Since I travel with it so much (about once a month), I have it set-up for grab and go. All I have to do is add the clothing. I even have that is only for travel.

What's in the box:
McMahon titanium road bike frame (57cm square), modified by Bilenky with S & S couplers.
Dura Ace 7800 group with some older (TRP?) carbon wrapped calipers.
King ti cages.
Dura Ace 7800 wheels - light fast durable and low spoke count which helps for packing.
Pair of Sidi shoes I bought used on this forum a looooong time ago.
Cycling gloves (both short and long fingered).
Arm and leg warmers.
Cycling nutrition (Clif bars, Honey Stinger stuff, Nuun etc.)
Misc. tools and spares.
Mini-pump and seat bag for multi-tool and spare tubes.
Small floor pump. The Pedros finally dies, but I found a cheap replacement at the Home Depot of all places for $15.

To pack my bike, I have to remove the handlebars, pedals, cranks, rear deraillereur and front brake. The front brake stays attached to the bars, but the rest of the cables have splitters. Experience taught me that putting the shifter splittters close to the bottom bracket cures them from rattling. I added an extra splitter on the rear shifter cable along the chainstay that makes it easy to pull the rear derailleur and put it in a bag. All the small parts get bagged. I used to use mostly ziplocks, but have since moved to zippered packing bags like people use for toiletries and etc. I use a Whipperman chain and removable link that is designed to be opened and closed regularly. Haven't had one fail on me yet/ I also carry an extra link because they are small and I have spent enough time crawling around looking for a missing piece.

Since I have so much practice, it normally takes only about thirty-minutes to completely pack away or reassemble the bike. For me, the hardest part is finding room to pack the helmet. Nowadays I often just hang my hard-hat off my backpack to make room for my helmet in my suitcase. When I am traveling for work, I don't like to check my bag since I need the contents to do my job.

I was very deliberate in choosing components for the bike based around druability and lightness so that I would enjoy riding the bike wherever I went, and not feel like I was giving up too much (if anything). The bike rides beautifully and climbs as well as I need it to, so I never feel like "I wish I had my other bike..." when I am off having an adventure.

The bike has been all over the U.S. and Canada, Central America, Pago Pago and Hawaii more times than I could count. I have never had a serious issue with TSA, and don't use a net or any of that stuff. While I fly mostly on Alaska, the bike has been on United, Delta, Southwest, Hawaiian and American also, and never had a problem. A Southwest agent started to measure the boc once until a supervisor waived her away telling her she'd seen those before and they were fine. I have use the "bike parts" line a few times just to be careful, but don't really think I needed to. I do have status with most of the airlines I fly though, and typically book an upgraded seat when I don't have status, so that may improve the way I am treated (I'm really not sure about that).

One last thing: I would be careful about using equipment that is too expensive (like e-Tap). The airlines have set maximum values for your luggage, and won't go above that if your bag disappears. While it is relatively high for domestic, it's a lot lower for international travel. I looked into private insurance and it was very very pricey. YMMV

CaptStash....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Travel 1.jpg (145.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg Travel 3.jpg (89.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Travel 2.jpg (99.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:22 PM

Great idea! I've had a number over the years, and just picked up my latest a few weeks ago. First up is a Ti Cove Hummer that I had Bilinky add couplers too. Sometimes 26" wheels, Later I experimented with it as a 69er and rigid fork. Lots of blingy titanium bits on that one! Sometimes singlespeed, sometimes gears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1350.jpg (149.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:27 PM

Next up is a custom Black Sheep titanium 29er. Adjustable chainstays for singlespeed and removable rear triangle for travel. Titanium fork and Boone titanium goodies!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.jpg (149.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Administrator

are those some kind of covers over the couplers in the first pic?
Old 11-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Those are both gone and have been replaced with my current off road bike, a custom Titanium Moonmen. 27+ tires, all the way up to 27.5x3.8, or 29er tires. Removable rear triangle and adjustable chainstays. Moonmen titanium fork and 1x11 gearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moonmen 6.jpg (150.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
are those some kind of covers over the couplers in the first pic?
Yup, cut up inner tube!
Old 11-16-2017, 12:51 PM

Last one for now: Custom Quiring titanium road bike with couplers. Frameset is actually for sale in the classifieds:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700 22.jpg (102.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:38 PM

These make me want an s&s bike.. curious would you all go with 26in wheels?

I'm short enough that it'd not look weird but i'm afraid of obsolescence and also ease of finding slick tires and tubes and all that. 26in seems to have been replaced with 650 and 700 and 27.5.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:47 AM

why?

S&S case fits 700c perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post

I'm short enough that it'd not look weird but i'm afraid of obsolescence and also ease of finding slick tires and tubes and all that. 26in seems to have been replaced with 650 and 700 and 27.5.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post

I would suggest 650b wheels. 700c fits, bit it's much tighter and makes fitting everything in the case a bit trickier.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 AM

Thought it'd make packing easier. Seems people have issues with packing the bike.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 AM

+1, I would definitely go with 650B if I was ordering another travel bike

700c works, but any thing that makes the process a little easier is worth considering in my book. And 650B tires are great anyway.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Registered (ab)User

I've started removing the tire from the front wheel (the one that packs on top of the stack), not because it makes it any easier for me to pack -- it doesn't, it's a freakin' nuisance having to remove the tire and put it back on when I arrive! -- but because it makes it a lot easier for TSA to close the lid after they've inspected it.

I suspect a 650b or 26" wheel wouldn't have that same issue.