Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 03:21 PM

I've had great success with Nextie for customers and myself. I believe Ergott has used Light Bicycle rims for himself, I imagine to good results, though he can speak to that better than I.

In most cases, I'd recommend reaching out to the companies that you find on aliexpress/alibaba/ebay to see if they have their own websites. Most are pretty response.

Many do have warranty and crash replacement programs, though they do take a bit longer just due to time differences and length of shipping.

Gigantex rims are also available through bikehubstore, which have the added benefit of having a guy stateside that you can talk to should you have a problem.

You could also get some Boyd tubulars for $1000 per set while they're blowing those out if you want something a little "nicer."
Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
What site did you order through?
That original order of 3 sets of rims came from 'a website.' As in 'I don't remember where.' Sorry.

The next set(s) of rims are likely to be Nexties.

M
Old 11-13-2017, 04:50 PM

Nextie or Light Bicycle are both good, with good service. Been using a few pairs for years - nothing but good things to say.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM
Princess Sweat

There is a sweet deal for CF hoops in the classifieds.

Buy those.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM

OP.. if you are about to drop 500 bucks in rims and hubs just get a set of wheels from here, if you are looking for tubulars there is a nice set of new american classics carbon wheels like for less than a half of the street price.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
There is a sweet deal for CF hoops in the classifieds.

Buy those.
2.5x the price of the rims being discussed here tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
OP.. if you are about to drop 500 bucks in rims and hubs just get a set of wheels from here, if you are looking for tubulars there is a nice set of new american classics carbon wheels like for less than a half of the street price.

Gotta link that stuff if you're going to talk about it.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 PM

Did you mean https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210753 ?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 PM
なんでやねん

The objective is as much to build wheels as to obtain wheels

Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:17 PM

Yup... it is nice to built your own stuff but now a days carbon rims and hubs are all over the place and with some luck, deals as those AC wheels dont come often. And at that price point honestly you are better going for those AC ones that buying all and building them.

U can find carbon rims like for 150 bucks a pop... then add the hub... 100 bucks more depending on what you get obviously and add spokes... 2 bucks a pop times 32... and there you have it... 500 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Yup... it is nice to built your own stuff but now a days carbon rims and hubs are all over the place and with some luck, deals as those AC wheels dont come often. And at that price point honestly you are better going for those AC ones that buying all and building them.

U can find carbon rims like for 150 bucks a pop... then add the hub... 100 bucks more depending on what you get obviously and add spokes... 2 bucks a pop times 32... and there you have it... 500 bucks.
You're missing the point. He wants to build them himself for the experience. I've had great luck with Nextie
Old 11-14-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
You're missing the point. He wants to build them himself for the experience. I've had great luck with Nextie
When you (and others) say you've had good luck, does that mean lacing them up or actually riding them?

When I think of "cheap" carbon Made in China I wonder about the brake tracks holding up.

Screaming down a decent on carbon rim brake wheels is not the time to discover that cheap means a rim delaminating.

A friend has a rear wheel come apart, amazing he came out of only lightly skinned up. But, to be fair, this was some years ago.

But can one trust this suggested "cheap" rims?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 AM

I'd trust Light-bicycle, Nextie & Gigantex as much as I trusted any of the big makers - i.e., not at all for carbon clincher rim brake usage.

It's a bad application for carbon - the main thing you get paying $2000 for a name brand is they quietly replace them for free when they fail. With the china wheels, it's more of a hassle.

This is also heavily terrain dependent - do you have lots of long (>10 minute) steep (>10%) descents with switchbacks? Is there car traffic you get stuck behind so you have to ride the brakes?

Our original poster is doing tubulars, so no issue. Even if you crazy overheat the brake track on a tubular rim, it is far less likely to fail in a bad way. The rim is not integral to the structural integrity of the tire.

I only use carbon clinchers with disc brakes, but I happily ride generic china carbon frames and seatposts and other parts, so it isn't like I'm super risk averse.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM

I've had zero problems with my generic carbonzone CC wheels, going on four years and 25k+ miles. The brake tracks are getting a bit worn down so the end is in sight, but they still stop plenty well. Choose the right pads. I use SwissStop Black Prince. Don't ride the brakes, pulse them. Clean them often.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Zipp 303s are a PITA, BTW

Not that they're easy to get, but if you have a 10sp wheelset and need 11sp...

M
Old 11-14-2017, 02:26 PM

Value, quality, customer service, plus hand-built in the USA. Carbon and Aluminum.
Scorpionbikewheels.com