Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 02:43 PM

Help me identify what's causing the tink

My Habanero with SRAM Force 22 crankset with SRAM MTB spider and 44/28 chainrings, and 11-34 11s Ultegra cassette, has a tink sound that is periodic with crank rotation. It occurs roughly when the DS crank is passing the DT, and it only occurs in the larger cassette cogs (23-25-27-30). Statically I can't see anything hitting or rubbing; the FD is actually in the trimmed position and is not being hit by the crank; and I tried a set of pinned flat pedals with the same result to eliminate the pedals.The cranks feel tight without play in the BB, the chainrings appear tight on the spider and the spider tight on the crank.

Ideas please?
Old 03-24-2024, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Check the chain quick link.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:59 PM

If you wear shoes with laces, might be the plastic tip of the shoelace hitting the chainstay.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Check the chain quick link.
I don't think that would be periodic with the crank rotation - do you see it differently?
Old 03-24-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
If you wear shoes with laces, might be the plastic tip of the shoelace hitting the chainstay.
Absolutely this has been a culprit in the past! This bike uses shoes with Boas, no bits that hit the cranks.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:02 PM

Have a spare wheel you can throw on? I’d bet rear cassette and chain interacting weird.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
My Habanero with SRAM Force 22 crankset with SRAM MTB spider and 44/28 chainrings, and 11-34 11s Ultegra cassette, has a tink sound that is periodic with crank rotation. It occurs roughly when the DS crank is passing the DT, and it only occurs in the larger cassette cogs (23-25-27-30). Statically I can't see anything hitting or rubbing; the FD is actually in the trimmed position and is not being hit by the crank; and I tried a set of pinned flat pedals with the same result to eliminate the pedals.The cranks feel tight without play in the BB, the chainrings appear tight on the spider and the spider tight on the crank.

Ideas please?
Is the Cassette Lock Ring tight?
Old 03-24-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Have a spare wheel you can throw on? I’d bet rear cassette and chain interacting weird.
I don't see how that generates a sound periodic with the crank rotation, but I think it is a good suggestion to try! Thanks
I just swapped another wheel in and will try tomorrow.

Last edited by NHAero; 03-24-2024 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBash View Post
Is the Cassette Lock Ring tight?
Good question. I will check!

Edit: Yup, it's tight.

Last edited by NHAero; 03-24-2024 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:55 PM

Talking

Chainring bolts? Clean the BB spindle and BB cups? Look for a bent chainring tooth? Quick link interference? An obvious one, but long FD cable?

Nothing quite as maddening as a drivetrain noise you can't figure out.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post

Ideas please?
First, check that the chainring bolts are tightened. Then check to make sure the front derailleur clamp is tight enough. I went through this same process a handful of years ago on a Ti bike — every pedal stoke I got a click. The Shimano clamp that held the braze-on FD to the seat tube needed to be tightened; every pedal stroke, I’d flex the seat tube just enough to generate a click that seemed to resonate through the Ti frame and was making me nuts. It took me a while to figure it out.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
First, check that the chainring bolts are tightened. Then check to make sure the front derailleur clamp is tight enough. I went through this same process a handful of years ago on a Ti bike — every pedal stoke I got a click. The Shimano clamp that held the braze-on FD to the seat tube needed to be tightened; every pedal stroke, I’d flex the seat tube just enough to generate a click that seemed to resonate through the Ti frame and was making me nuts. It took me a while to figure it out.
The bolts seem plenty tight and each of the two chainrings has its own set of bolts to the spider, and I get the click in the small ring too (which is pretty much not used here on MV, it's a 28T and I don't need it, but I tried it to see if i could isolate the sound to one chainring.) I gave the FD bolt a 1/8" additional turn but it also feels tight enough, and plus this Habanero Ti frame has a 45mm downtube and I don't think my piddly watts are flexing it much. I don't hear the tink when standing on the pedals but that could be my hearing too.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Chainring bolts? Clean the BB spindle and BB cups? Look for a bent chainring tooth? Quick link interference? An obvious one, but long FD cable?

Nothing quite as maddening as a drivetrain noise you can't figure out.
Could always be the BB though this one is a Wheels Mfg thread together unit to adapt the SRAM crankset with a 30mm spindle to the BSA threaded BB.

Quick link wouldn't seem to be periodic with crank rotation.
Bent tooth is a good suggestion but I get the same sound on both rings.
Not the FD cable, this is a R8000 FD, and we learned recently in another thread here that they suck, but the cable excess exits to the rear

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 03-24-2024, 05:28 PM

Oh, if you don't hear it standing: saddle rails, seatpost clamp, seatpost lube?
Old 03-24-2024, 05:32 PM

I fixed the same issue on Friday for a buddy after he'd taken it into his shop several times, and changed pedals. Anti seize and proper torque seat clamp and rails.