Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 10:20 AM

Sram DOT grease

Anyone know how to get a very small amount of the DOT grease for Sram Hydraulic installation? It seems they sell a 1oz container but are back ordered. With shipping it’s like $20 and all I need is a pinky amount of it. Or any alternatives ?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacwolf View Post
Anyone know how to get a very small amount of the DOT grease for Sram Hydraulic installation? It seems they sell a 1oz container but are back ordered. With shipping it’s like $20 and all I need is a pinky amount of it. Or any alternatives ?

Thanks
silicon grease for greasing sticky pistons...etc. Food grade is a bit thicker but not necessary. Won't swell the seals.
https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Si...s%2C170&sr=8-4

p.s if you are in tight with a local coffee shop, they might have some on hand...ask them for a dab. Used for espresso machine o-rings . That's what I us eit for ;-)

Last edited by crankles; 06-08-2023 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:48 AM

I just got some of Amazon last week in 24 hours.

Pretty sure SRAM says NOT to put it on pistons. It is only for assembling hose fittings. The grease the pistons game seems to be specific to Shimano.

From SRAM service manual:

Quote:
Do not apply DOT brake fluid or grease to caliper pistons when performing troubleshooting procedures. Use of DOT brake fluid or grease
will reduce braking performance.
The 1oz container is a lifetime size container. I feel like anything hydraulic related for bikes is sold in absolutely insane quantities.

I had a little bottle of DOT fluid still sealed from my motorcycle. I think a fluid change on the moto took 2-3 bottles. But I did 2 bikes and used like 1/10th of the bottle and realistically I should be trying to find someone else local to give it to before it goes bad, that little $5 bottle is enough to do like 25 bikes or something.

I bought the DOT Grease from SRAM but I feel like it's probably highway robbery if you can figure out the equivalent automotive/motorcycle product. Bike branded DOT fluid is like 3-4x the price of even the ultra premium racetrack focused automotive/motorcycle fluid.

Last edited by benb; 06-08-2023 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:34 AM

It’s definitely highway robbery. Makes sense for a shop to buy container of it but honestly I could probably get away with a Burt’s beeswax sized container and use that for 10 bikes. I’ll see if the local shops stock it or if someone on the forum wants to ship me a vial of it for a few bucks. Not trying to be cheap but, ok maybe I am but seriously- $20 is asking a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I just got some of Amazon last week in 24 hours.

Pretty sure SRAM says NOT to put it on pistons. It is only for assembling hose fittings. The grease the pistons game seems to be specific to Shimano.

From SRAM service manual:

The 1oz container is a lifetime size container. I feel like anything hydraulic related for bikes is sold in absolutely insane quantities.

I had a little bottle of DOT fluid still sealed from my motorcycle. I think a fluid change on the moto took 2-3 bottles. But I did 2 bikes and used like 1/10th of the bottle and realistically I should be trying to find someone else local to give it to before it goes bad, that little $5 bottle is enough to do like 25 bikes or something.

I bought the DOT Grease from SRAM but I feel like it's probably highway robbery if you can figure out the equivalent automotive/motorcycle product. Bike branded DOT fluid is like 3-4x the price of even the ultra premium racetrack focused automotive/motorcycle fluid.

Last edited by sacwolf; 06-08-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:03 PM

I recall buying disc brake pads for cars that came with a small tube of DOT silicone grease to put on the sliding parts. The whole thing was probably less than what SRAM charges for their grease.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:20 PM

I see no good reason to use it. Some DOT fluid works.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I see no good reason to use it. Some DOT fluid works.
This was what I was told by two different shops when i tried to buy it locally. Went that route, seems fine.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I recall buying disc brake pads for cars that came with a small tube of DOT silicone grease to put on the sliding parts. The whole thing was probably less than what SRAM charges for their grease.
I saw that but it doesn't necessarily look like the same thing. SRAMs DOT grease is for sealing threads to prevent leaks AFAICT.

The automotive stuff I found was grease for moving parts.

It's overpriced at $15 but compared to the cost of a $200-500 set of brakes and/or shop labor and/or my time to fix them if not installed perfectly the $15 is nothing. If I was to do the math on what my time is worth if it took time from my job to redo a hose that didn't seal correctly and then re-bleed it's probably $200+ and I'm not sure the shops around here would charge that much less.

I do wonder if my synthetic grease I already had would have worked just as well.

I'd be peeved if the shop didn't do it by the book. It's freaking brakes. And it's like a penny of grease.

Last edited by benb; 06-08-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:03 PM

Grease doesn't seal leaks. I've built up three axs hydro bikes. No grease, no problems.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:32 PM

Sounds like the inexpensive auto equivlent could be Sil Glide Silicone brake lubricant. A four ounce tube about $15.00.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Sounds like the inexpensive auto equivlent could be Sil Glide Silicone brake lubricant. A four ounce tube about $15.00.
You an also get very small single-use packages of this same stuff for $2-3 from the auto parts store.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:45 AM

I think the only reason Sram recommends to grease the fittings is to prevent it from seizing inside the valve body. Just yesterday, I swapped out the FSA compact bar that came with the pre-built Helix and also had to shorten the hose along with installing new barbs and fittings. I used Super Lube silicone grease since I already have a tube in the grease gun. Tested the brakes on/off the rollers and all good.