Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2023, 08:50 AM

The smoke from the Alberta fires was pretty thick here in Central Wyoming about two weeks ago. Enough that my eyes watered, and I didn't want to ride.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:03 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
When we have had wildlife smoke in our area, I use a combination of airnow.gov and purpleair.com to check the air quality status and will often try and travel out of the area if it's really bad. We saw AQI in the 300+ range the last few summers here and I don't do well cooped up in the house running air purifiers.

https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10...8/39.78/-96.68
+1

This is nice for really local air quality readings...works with this app: https://paku.app/

If you don't have indoor aircleaners, you can also build one using a box fan, bungie cord and a 20x20 furnace filter
Old 06-07-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Today may be worse, and its stretching all the way down to DC and NC.
Code Red today here in metro Raleigh.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:52 AM

This was pretty weird to go last night and try and read some news about the fires.

US media acts like Canadians don't even exist and it seemed 100% of the coverage was just about what US cities are effected. Almost no coverage of where the fires are and how different areas in Canada are effected. I had to really search to try and find anything.

NS alone it sounded like they had a fire severe enough houses/neighborhoods were burned down similar to California.

Even deliberately trying to find Canadian news sites the search engines tried to push me back to US sites that were buying up the search results.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:30 AM

This is one website I visit for Canadian news.

https://www.ctvnews.ca
Old 06-07-2023, 10:43 AM

It's been pretty bad here in Greenwich, with last night smelling and looking like I was in my fireplace with the smoke.

My company has our largest office in Ottawa, so I've been getting updates from my colleagues there, and it's been swirling some up north too. One shared this cool site that includes some forecast modeling of the smoke: https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/
Old 06-07-2023, 11:29 AM

Being a good Canadian, I’ll apologize for the smoke….. cause I guess we apologize for things.

Luckily here at home it’s been mostly clear with very little smoke noticeable at all. I work in Northern Alberta at a large O&G production facility in 2 week shifts. During my most recent shift we had an AQI approaching 600 for about 36 hours and had several days in the 400 range. Desperate stuff. While we had limited fires directly nearby the facility we got significant smoke from fires in NE BC and also in Northern SK. There are 420 fires burning across the country at last count with over 1/2 of that being classed as out of control / not contained. Desperate times for many parts of the country.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:31 AM

Nearest sensor to me showing AQI of 360, across the river in PA in Bethel there are 450+.
Sky is completely yellow.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
Being a good Canadian, I’ll apologize for the smoke….. cause I guess we apologize for things.

Luckily here at home it’s been mostly clear with very little smoke noticeable at all. I work in Northern Alberta at a large O&G production facility in 2 week shifts. During my most recent shift we had an AQI approaching 600 for about 36 hours and had several days in the 400 range. Desperate stuff. While we had limited fires directly nearby the facility we got significant smoke from fires in NE BC and also in Northern SK. There are 420 fires burning across the country at last count with over 1/2 of that being classed as out of control / not contained. Desperate times for many parts of the country.
Yeesh. Good luck with both the fires and your health.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:32 PM

Smoke getting real bad here in NYC, it looks like sepia tone outside. Wild.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:35 PM

Yesterday it was merely hazy but this morning I could smell it as soon as I stepped outside. AQI around 180 at the house with crappy visibility.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:12 PM

In Brooklyn local sensors (seen on Purple Air) are reading in the 430s. Not sure how to read these measurements correctly as that seems impossibly high. Paku is showing 260s. Hoping this clears up before Grinduro PA!
Old 06-07-2023, 01:19 PM

Doing my first Black Fly on Saturday and haven't been out to ride since Sunday. I am a rain or shine kind of guy and not sure I will be leading a mtb ride tonight at 6pm. The wind up here is making it a bit more bearable to breath, but still smoky with that smoldering smell.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2023, 01:22 PM

We're heading into the Mad Max zone here in CNY...

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SYR_AQI_2.JPG (52.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-07-2023, 01:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Doing my first Black Fly on Saturday and haven't been out to ride since Sunday. I am a rain or shine kind of guy and not sure I will be leading a mtb ride tonight at 6pm. The wind up here is making it a bit more bearable to breath, but still smoky with that smoldering smell.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
if it is as bad as down here I would not even step out, I went out for a minute and my throat was scratchy.

I guess can get that n95 mask out