Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2023, 11:32 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
If you don't actually have ADHD, I would personally rather people not say "the ADHD generation" - ADHD is really a thing, and a lot of people trivialize it in insulting ways. While we now do have a lot more distractions going on in our lives, not everyone has ADHD.
I always get a kick out of people that find out and in response say to me 'I have a little bit of adhd too' and then tell me they can't always focus at work or were distracted a few days ago.
I sit there and am like...OK then and don't push back because it isn't worth it. They will keep thinking what they want.

...but in an attempt to justify and show grace, I liken it to when I have referenced an OCD tenancy even though I don't have OCD. I don't make the comment to be disrespectful, but it is more so used to describe a common trait that I exhibit.
Doesn't make it right, but it does sometimes help to explain.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
About once a month..AFTER the ride that day.
Chain off, pulleys off, cogset, CRs off..scrub, scrub in pan with degreaser and hot water. Brass brush for metal bits...'normal' for pulleys.

Rinse with clean water..let dry.
Grease into pulleys.
Reassemble.
Prolink or WD-40 lube on chain, not much..wipe off..go ride the next day.

If chain gets squeaky..wee bit of lube after the ride..wipe off..

Repeat.
Does WD-40 make a lube or do you just use regular WD-40 as a lube?
Old 06-05-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Does WD-40 make a lube or do you just use regular WD-40 as a lube?
I don't which product he is referring to specifically, but the WD-40 Company makes more than the just the penetrant/water displacer that they are most known for. That includes multiple bicycle products including chain lubes and bike degreasers.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
Loads of testing... This is the best one-step on the market.

Love it
This looks intriguing, do you have to strip the chain before using or can you apply over existing lube?
Old 06-05-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
This looks intriguing, do you have to strip the chain before using or can you apply over existing lube?
According Josh Poertner in his Marginal Gains podcast, it can be applied over an existing lube, although the old lube won't be completely replaced until after multiple re-applications of Synergic.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:38 PM

Dupont chain wax. Bicycle and motorcycle chains.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:13 PM

I have to laugh that a bike shop owner and mechanic can't figure out chain lubes. Reminds me of my family Doc, he is overweight, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, drinks, and doesn't exercise. And, my plumber's toilet runs.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:43 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I have to laugh that a bike shop owner and mechanic can't figure out chain lubes. Reminds me of my family Doc, he is overweight, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, drinks, and doesn't exercise. And, my plumber's toilet runs.
Don't be a dick. I know how to do chain lube just fine. I'm checking if the more modern lubes do a better job at the low maintenance thing
Old 06-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
I actually have ADHD and I am on the full molten wax thing. So, ADHD does not preclude getting on molten wax. However, task initiation is a problem for those of us with ADHD, and there are a lot of small steps in the wax process to master.

Regardless of whether you have ADHD or not, if you want to wax, you should actually just consider buying a pre-treated chain. Molten Speed Wax, Silca, and probably some other folks (can't remember names right now) sell them in the US. Then you can use any drip wax, or you can use melt wax. You're trading the $$ for the trouble of stripping the chain and waxing it. Wax chains last a lot longer than non-wax if you keep up with the waxing routine. So, I think the added costs at least partially offset, plus you don't have to maintain a bunch of solvents and jars. I think you're taking $120-150 for a treated chain, FYI.

(Also, ultrasonic cleaner NOT necessary in my experience.)

If you're willing to treat a new chain yourself but you're agahst at the number of solvents, you could consider either Ceramicspeed's UFO chain cleaning solution, or Silca's equivalent. They're both billed as one-step solvents. Just soak, agitate, and rinse clean.

If you have a waxed chain and you want to simplify the waxing routine, then I think drip wax is probably a bit simpler. The issue is that you ideally should clean the chain in boiling water after every wet ride. With drip wax, you don't have to disconnect the quick link if you are just applying more wax.

You mentioned you're in frequent wet weather. Wax still works, you just have to do the boiling water thing more often. Ceramicspeed is releasing a wet conditions lube that is advertised to do a lot better in wet weather. The thing is, a couple of the Escape Collective guys mentioned on a podcast that they had bad experiences with their samples. They're not sure if the sample lubes are the same as the final retail version, and Ceramicspeed might continue to make iterative changes to their formulation. You could watch this lube if you want wax.

If unwilling to do all this and you want a wet lube, I believe Silca Synergetic would be a good choice. Adam Kerin says from his wear testing that he thinks it's the best wet lube. You could use that and just clean the chain (e.g. with an on-bike chain cleaner) as frequently as practical, definitely try to do it after a wet ride, otherwise aim for once a month or more often if you can.

If you don't actually have ADHD, I would personally rather people not say "the ADHD generation" - ADHD is really a thing, and a lot of people trivialize it in insulting ways. While we now do have a lot more distractions going on in our lives, not everyone has ADHD.
Silca Synergetic sounds great! The reviews I'm seeing are solid. It's looking like that or NFS are top choices so far. I love the idea of a pre-waxed (and powdered?!) chain, but know that boiling my commuter's chain just isn't going to happen lol. If it can be maintained well enough over the long term by using drop wax with sporadic boils in like the post-winter maintenance it might be worth it.

I very much have ADHD, and I agree with these thoughts. There's far too many people using it as a buzz word when they just occasionally can't focus. And on the other hand, the vast majority of my friends have ADHD
Old 06-05-2023, 07:03 PM
don'TreadOnMe

Another +1 for Silca Synergetic.

Got a bottle in March 2022, still have 1/3 left. Use it on several bikes that get ridden A LOT, and it does what it's supposed to do.

Bike that saw the most hours over the past 12 months is a mtb that sees a lot of big rides (marathon & ultra endurance, + requisite training), 12 speed SRAM X01, and that chain has not stretched much if at all (Park CC-2 chain checker).

After a ride, use an old bathroom towel, spin the cranks backward and wipe the chain till there's no dirt/grime in the towel, clean the pulleys, the chainring, & the cassette (w/same towel just w/the non-dirty spots), then put a drop of oil on each link, then spin cranks backwards for a minute, then wipe off again 'til no marks on the towel.

Easy. It's fantastic chain lube.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne_in_Spokes View Post
Silca Synergetic sounds great! The reviews I'm seeing are solid. It's looking like that or NFS are top choices so far. I love the idea of a pre-waxed (and powdered?!) chain, but know that boiling my commuter's chain just isn't going to happen lol. If it can be maintained well enough over the long term by using drop wax with sporadic boils in like the post-winter maintenance it might be worth it.

I very much have ADHD, and I agree with these thoughts. There's far too many people using it as a buzz word when they just occasionally can't focus. And on the other hand, the vast majority of my friends have ADHD
Synergetic works for me, but I have humidity, not so much near constant rain.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Lube is kinda a weird niche when it comes to bikes... when it comes to any other component there are a few choices and they all kinda do the same thing. A frame is a couple triangles, wheels are wheels, a derailleur derails a chain.

Lube is different and like I said weird. You've got a few big brands that make some pretty average (read: really poor) stuff but its got great margins (for both distro and shop) and is simple to explain. Those brands are the ones with sales teams and all the rest.

Throw into that every man and his cat is saying their crappy chain lube is amazing, self cleaning, whatever. It's confusing and if you aren't prepared to spend a decent chunk of time trying to understand what's going on... well it's easy to understand why people just shrug their shoulders and pour petrol on their chain.

The truth of the matter is that in the last 5 years there have been some really special lubes come out, but they aren't cheap and the margin isn't as great for a shop. Despite that high initial sticker price, the savings in the long run are huge for the consumer and if I'm going to put a tin foil hat on, that's why some savvy shop owners would be even more reticent to stock. But yeah, because of all the noise around this subject I would forgive anyone for not knowing the state of things at this moment, especially if they had put immersive wax in the 'slightly too annoying basket'.

ZFC have done a lot of good things, but what it lacks is some really concise analysis... just the TL;DR points about any given thing, instead of 50 page PDF's.

Last edited by jimoots; 06-05-2023 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
NixFrixShun not only smells bad, but leaves the chain black as sin. I don't see how others have beneficial results, and it seems the selling point is that "you just need a few drops" and it stays on there forever (based on the blackness). However, if no maintenance is your thing, I guess it works.

Then again, I use either ProGold ProLink when I'm in my lube ebb and Silca Super Secret Chain Lube when I'm in my flow. NFS. Yuck.
NFS Green Genie formulation works as well as the original "ultimate" and is biodegradeable with no odor. I've been a fanboi for many years now, - quick drivetrain wipedown with a shop rag, and reapply after a few hundred miles. Blue Devil version when it's raining. To the OP, I have ADHD and I approve this message...
Old 06-05-2023, 09:57 PM

No one here uses Sheldon Brown's method?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
Old 06-06-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
No one here uses Sheldon Brown's method?

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
Hilarious. I feel the same way about waxing, though know I shouldn’t. Synergetic works for me!