Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 08:09 AM

There is no chance that you'll even get close to a complete chain cleaning while the chain is on the bike. Is it really that that hard to...

1. Soak the chain in parts cleaner (sometimes for days, sometimes for weeks).
2. Remove chain from parts cleaner and wipe down thoroughly.
3. Put Dawn and hot water in the ultrasonic cleaner, put chain in ultrasonic cleaner and turn it on.
4. Run it for about 30 minutes.
5. Remove chain and dry chain as you would in step #2.

If you have multiple chains like I do, get a "new chain", lube as necessary and install. The chain that you just cleaned will be hanging with the other chains, waiting for their time to be used. Now, you've gotta use quicklinks and have multiple chains, so if you don't, feel free to halfass some other cleaning method.

Last edited by Blown Reek; 06-02-2023 at 08:49 AM. Reason: forgot a comma
Old 06-02-2023, 09:14 AM

Is it really that hard to [insert five step process with $300 ultrasonic cleaner]?

Honestly paceline kills me sometimes, the only think that would make people happy here is if this product was somehow made by Campagnolo.

If it does what it says, it’s worth the time savings. Even in some places where the chemicals are available (like NYC), they are actually pretty pricey and disposal isn’t simple. Throw in the cost of multiple containers, etc, it’s a wash.

I’d happily try it.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:51 AM

Alright, I just ordered some so I can try it and give some actual feedback instead of devolving into conjecture and passive-agressive chatter.

SILCA
Thank you for your purchase!
Order 0121532
Thank you Brad!
Old 06-02-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Alright, I just ordered some so I can try it and give some actual feedback instead of devolving into conjecture and passive-agressive chatter.

SILCA
Thank you for your purchase!
Order 0121532
Thank you Brad!
Looking forward to your report! If it does what Silca claims then I'm gonna use that too. No rush, because I recently put new chains on the Pivot and Firefly, and learned that the Bingham chain with over 5,000 miles is in really good shape. I have 3-4 chains cleaned and waxed waiting to rotate in, so I hope I'm not into this for a while. But it was kind of a pain to get the new chains really clean.

Josh said the container will do up to 16 chains. I thought the Silca drip lube was ridiculously expensive but a single 4 oz container lasts me over a year with several bikes in rotation, so looking at it that way, it's not a big lift. I was happy enough with the drip to go buy a crock pot at the thrift store for $8 before I did the multiple new chains a few months ago, and I'm guessing that expensive Silca hot wax will last me for years.

My own experience is that Josh is a straight shooter and doesn't make unsubstantiated claims for his products. I've been following him since he was at Zipp and his investigation of using carbon rims at Paris Roubaix. His approach is evidence-based. Sure, now he has to market his products, but I don't see the marketing in the same vein as the Rene Herse claims, for example.

The chain maintenance stuff is pricey, but the cost savings on the chains and cassettes makes it an easy decision for me.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyatt View Post
Is it really that hard to [insert five step process with $300 ultrasonic cleaner]?

Honestly paceline kills me sometimes, the only think that would make people happy here is if this product was somehow made by Campagnolo.

If it does what it says, it’s worth the time savings. Even in some places where the chemicals are available (like NYC), they are actually pretty pricey and disposal isn’t simple. Throw in the cost of multiple containers, etc, it’s a wash.

I’d happily try it.
Actually, it would make me sad if it were made by Campagnolo.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:10 AM

Strip new chain, yes exactly what this product is for. Trying to switch old chains to hot wax, just toss the chain and get a new one. Not worth the hassle. You will never get a used chain clean enough for wax. Trust me I tried. NFS lube is pretty stubborn. Even after a few rinses/ soakings in mineral spirits, the chain was still oozing black gunk.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:23 AM

This whole wax thing just boggles me. How does anyone actually have the time and money to want to deal with this to save 5w or whatever they claim?

I don't really feel like I have any issues with the chain slowing me down.. a chain regime that takes enough time it means fewer rides would slow me down far more than any benefit from this level of anal retentive chain maintenance.

A bottle of this + a bag of the Silca chain lube costs almost as much as a top end chain too. How long do these chemicals last? You could just replace the chain constantly, especially if your time is something you put a $$$ value on.

Even if you buy into the list of Silca's marginal gains this is the one with almost the smallest gain at the maximum effort and cost. It seems like it's the last one you should go for. Get the aero clothes, helmet, handlebar, optimal tires, aero head unit mount, whatever, all those are basically one time purchases and minimal time sinks so they don't reduce your time to ride.

I am not saying Silca's regime isn't low drag.. but you have to compare it against the best time+money vs performance option. If even Silca is saying this saves 6-8w versus a bad/cheap chain lube or dirty chain what does it save compared to the best of the simple/low effort setups? And none of this matters for your training bike.. save it for the actual race bike so you can minimize effort/time/money and go spend that time riding. It never fails to make a big impact on me how many ridiculously fast people are riding rather dirty bikes for training to maximize the time they have to ride.

Last edited by benb; 06-02-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
This whole wax thing just boggles me. How does anyone actually have the time and money to want to deal with this to save 5w or whatever they claim?

I don't really feel like I have any issues with the chain slowing me down.. a chain regime that takes enough time it means fewer rides would slow me down far more than any benefit from this level of anal retentive chain maintenance.

A bottle of this + a bag of the Silca chain lube costs almost as much as a top end chain too. How long do these chemicals last? You could just replace the chain constantly, especially if your time is something you put a $$$ value on.

Even if you buy into the list of Silca's marginal gains this is the one with almost the smallest gain at the maximum effort and cost. It seems like it's the last one you should go for. Get the aero clothes, helmet, handlebar, optimal tires, aero head unit mount, whatever, all those are basically one time purchases and minimal time sinks so they don't reduce your time to ride.
What you don't seem to grasp is the amount of time saved cleaning and maintaining your bikes and cleaning your self up, far out weights the amount of time spent to wax your chains.

Last edited by m_sasso; 06-02-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Waxing with drip wax isn't time consuming at all after the initial chain is stripped. Even a crockpot takes less than about 15 minutes of 'handling time'.

Maybe it's faster, I dunno... but for me it's 99% about cleanliness. I can rub, bump, touch any of my bike chains or cassettes or rings anytime without getting so much as a smear of anything on me or my pants or my couch or my kids. Since I have no garage, all my bikes live in my office or in my tiny basement; I have to keep them clean.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
What you don't seem to grasp is the amount of time saved cleaning and maintaining your bikes far out weights the amount of time spent to wax your chains.
Since when does anyone need to spend much time on this?

There are lots of products that you just occasionally dribble some lube onto the chain and then wipe off the dirt.

Not everyone is the type that goes and cleans the bike to TdF standards after every ride and sits there for an hour with q-tips cleaning all the nooks and crannies in the cogs & derailleurs.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Waxing with drip wax isn't time consuming at all after the initial chain is stripped. Even a crockpot takes less than about 15 minutes of 'handling time'.

Maybe it's faster, I dunno... but for me it's 99% about cleanliness. I can rub, bump, touch any of my bike chains or cassettes or rings anytime without getting so much as a smear of anything on me or my pants or my couch or my kids. Since I have no garage, all my bikes live in my office or in my tiny basement; I have to keep them clean.
But you have no garage and yet you're OK with a crockpot dedicated to chains inside the house/apartment? If I was space crunched I'd never want a crock pot sitting around that wasn't for food. I have a big garage and I would still not want a crock pot sitting there for this.

Do you only take the bikes out in good weather considering the rest of the bike will bring far more dirt into the house if you get caught on a dusty road or in the rain/bad weather?
Old 06-02-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Since when does anyone need to spend much time on this?

There are lots of products that you just occasionally dribble some lube onto the chain and then wipe off the dirt.

Not everyone is the type that goes and cleans the bike to TdF standards after every ride and sits there for an hour with q-tips cleaning all the nooks and crannies in the cogs & derailleurs.
If you ride your bike you will spend time maintaining them, order to disorder it is the nature of mechanical devices!
Old 06-02-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
But you have no garage and yet you're OK with a crockpot dedicated to chains inside the house/apartment? If I was space crunched I'd never want a crock pot sitting around that wasn't for food. I have a big garage and I would still not want a crock pot sitting there for this.

Do you only take the bikes out in good weather considering the rest of the bike will bring far more dirt into the house if you get caught on a dusty road or in the rain/bad weather?
At this point I feel like you're just arguing to argue.

I didn't say I had a small house or apartment. I have no lack of space, only a lack of pre-built garage in a historic neighborhood.

There's a mini crockpot on a shelf in my office that is taken down, plugged in, used and once cooled off, it goes back on the shelf.

As for bad weather, I have no concern for riding in bad weather and bikes get wiped or sprayed off before coming back inside. If I've got 2 hours to ride, I've got 4 minutes to knock the gunk off afterwards.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I am not saying Silca's regime isn't low drag.. but you have to compare it against the best time+money vs performance option. If even Silca is saying this saves 6-8w versus a bad/cheap chain lube or dirty chain what does it save compared to the best of the simple/low effort setups? And none of this matters for your training bike.. save it for the actual race bike so you can minimize effort/time/money and go spend that time riding. It never fails to make a big impact on me how many ridiculously fast people are riding rather dirty bikes for training to maximize the time they have to ride.
ok boomer
Old 06-02-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Agree 100% on both assertions. Since I started waxing chains, I spend less time on bike maintenance. The wax lasts longer than my previous lubes AND the bike stays far cleaner. I find this especially noticeable on my gravel bike, after a muddy or dusty ride. It cleans up so much faster because chain lube hasn't been dispersed all over the back half of the bike. Post-ride bike cleaning takes 1/3 the time it previously required.

Greg