Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 03:06 PM

I'm through the first two episodes.
It's addicting.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:15 PM
50 bpm

It's OK. They missed a huge story from the first few stages. I'm surprised.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:36 PM

What story do you mean?
Old 06-08-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Since I retired last week and I'm more or less smoked in at the moment, I watched all eight episodes this morning.

I don't know what story you have in mind, but I immediately noticed their lack of coverage of Magnus Cort's exploits in his native and cycling mad Denmark, and the huge crowds there. They had access to EF, so I'm not sure why they omitted this.

Watching them sequentially, I thought the whole thing was kind of herky jerky, as they'd often backtrack to a previous stage, possibly multiple times, but that may be because I was both watching and thinking sequentially, while each episode is meant to be taken more as its own little vignette.

You won't get much Vingegard v Pogacar, but you will get a lot of internal team dynamics, strategy, etc., including internal team tensions. Madiot's criticism of Gaudu and Pinot (Groupama FDJ), Roodhooft's criticism of Philipsen (Alpecin Deceuninck), Lefevre's criticism of Jakobsen (Soudal Quick Step), etc. Wout van Aert not ways willing to play domestique, but then other times willingly sacrificing himself, and how this played with Vingegaard. Pinot and Gaudu.

It's not a documentary of the race, beginning to end. It's more about the internal issues that each team and rider confront and try to overcome. Tough decisions made, bits of resentment and internal team tension here and there, dreams shattered and realized and shattered again.

It seemed like Geraint Thomas, Jasper Philipsen, Thibaut Pinot, David Gaudu, and Fabio Jakobsen got more screen time than Vingegaard and Pogacar. But again, it's not a documentary of the race. It's more about the internals within each team.

It's worth the $15 or so USD I spent for a one month Netflix subscription (1080, no commercials). Each episode is 30-60 minutes.

Side note, and totally my personal opinion - Pogacar seems to really love to ride and race. He congratulates others when they beat him, and he does so with a genuine smile and friendly words. But after the way he attacked Vingegaard when he crashed early in the race, I'm less impressed with him. On the other (other) hand, he reached out and thanked Jonas when Jonas slowed for him when he skidded off the road on that descent. Can't have it all, I suppose. No one's perfect. And I only know what I see from my couch on the other side of an ocean.

Last edited by reuben; 06-08-2023 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:13 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I immediately noticed their lack of coverage of Magnus Cort's exploits in his native and cycling mad Denmark, and the huge crowds there. They had access to EF, so I'm not sure why they omitted this.
Exactly. I am stunned.

I'm through five episodes now. It's good, but it's not great. I actually liked "The Least Expected Day" better as a story-telling device.

I'm not sure it's going to bring people into the sport.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:18 PM

So far too much DS’s dropping F bombs too little on the gear, logistics, and rider interactions.

4 episodes in.

PS The AG2R DS Julien comes off as a real dirt bag, Ben go out and do permanent damage to yourself so I can achieve my dream.

Last edited by shadco; 06-08-2023 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadco View Post
The AG2R DS Julien comes off as a real dirt bag, Ben go out and do permanent damage to yourself so I can achieve my dream.
And the Alpecin DS, Roodhooft, thinking that a race must play out exactly as he envisions it in his mind. Dude, life ain't like that. Other teams aren't going to do what you think, even if you tell them.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:30 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I'm about 4 episodes in as well. If you've watched Drive to Survive, it's very similar. Less on actual racing/gear/tactics/things that make watching the races fun and more on individual storylines.

In my mind, it's too superficial, too light on the story lines - the same with Drive to Survive - i find it hard to get invested in the teams/riders if they gloss over so much stuff.

It's easy to tell a Jumbo vs UAE stage 8 story in 45 mins (Lanterne Rouge does it in 9mins), I think Unchained missed the mark by a lot.

The flip side is that Drive to Survive introduced/engaged a whole bunch of new fans to F1 and I hope this does the same thing for cycling.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Descent fitness

I am also 4 episodes in and find it entertaining and engaging.
In no way is it a complete picture of racing, but it should prove a good watch to a wider audience than just we hardcore folk.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:44 PM

watched the first four episodes last nite.

some of it was pretty engaging, some less so...but, I doubt the target audience is people who live and breathe cycling.

it's colorful and has adequate action (and naturally, some pretty brutal crash footage), so it will appeal to a certain segment of viewers.

agree that some of DSs come off as douchey...they want 'gladiators' blah blah. get out there and race when you're seriously injured, no whining allowed...ugh.

I appreciate how it personalizes some of the riders that I've watched and rooted for...nice to see some of the more personable guys in the sport. could name quite a few that aren't.

will binge the rest of it tonite.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadco View Post
PS The AG2R DS Julien comes off as a real dirt bag, Ben go out and do permanent damage to yourself so I can achieve my dream.

Yeah, I picked up on that too. A torn muscle isn't going to get better by riding one more stage. Totally pointless and a dick move imho.

W.
Old 06-10-2023, 04:06 AM

I finished it on Friday. I thought they did a nice job of showing the inside story of many of the teams. The drama inside Jumbo-Visma between Wout's personal ambitions vs the team goals was done well. I would have preferred more race moments to the seemingly endless drivel from many team directors. Sepp Kuss didn't get time either, and his contributions to the win were huge. Oh, and if they do season two, more Orla. I liked Orla. Had to look her up!

Last edited by LouDeeter; 06-10-2023 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
I finished it on Friday. I thought they did a nice job of showing the inside story of many of the teams. The drama inside Jumbo-Visma between Wout's personal ambitions vs the team goals was done well. I would have preferred more race moments to the seemingly endless drivel from many team directors. Sepp Kuss didn't get time either, and his contributions to the win were huge. Oh, and if they do season two, more Orla. I liked Orla. Had to look her up!
Orla Chennaoui moderates the pre-race shows on GCN+. Always seems to wear "interesting" outfits.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (80.5 KB, 152 views)
Old 06-10-2023, 07:40 AM

I believe that she also co hosts The Cycling podcast Feminine, she is great to listen to
Old 06-10-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I think the producers have to work with the teams who signed on to the project- and not everyone has signed on. For example, no UAE team, so no deep insight into Pog.

I think the show is great - but definitely made for the non-hardcore cycling fan so that they can reach a broader audience.