Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2023, 04:54 PM

I have a post carry case also. Pretty happy with it after one trip. Agree with kirk above, 4 wheels would be nice. It is tippy rolling along on it's two wheels.

I packed a bunch of stuff in mine, ended up around 45 lbs. It packs pretty easily, no complaints there. Mine also got inspected both ways by TSA. Overall, no issues. I don't mind taking things apart and putting them back together.

I did get hit by Hawaiian for fees. $100 each way! A ticket agent walked up to me in the baggage line and asked if I had filled out the bike waiver. That was that. Not the end of the world, still cheaper than renting a bike the whole time I was there.

This is a 150 with a 57.5 frame. Snug, but fits fine.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:21 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post

I did get hit by Hawaiian for fees. $100 each way! A ticket agent walked up to me in the baggage line and asked if I had filled out the bike waiver.
https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/not...-policy-waiver

Important Information Regarding Your Bicycle
Aloha Cyclists,

Hawaiian Airlines has made operational adjustments to better accommodate guests traveling with us to participate in the following events:

2022 Ironman World Championship, Kona, Hawaii Island
As a result, we now accept bicycles packed in hard-shell cases, soft cases, or cardboard bicycle boxes. A few other important details worth noting:

All participants need to sign the bicycle waiver form when checking in their bicycle.
Bicycle must have handlebars fixed sideways with pedals removed and packed.
Bicycle should be packed ahead of time, as Hawaiian Airlines does not assist in providing packing materials.
In the unlikely event that we cannot accommodate your bicycle on your flight for reasons of space availability, we will load it on the next available flight. When that flight arrives, you may claim your item at baggage claim. Please note that we do not provide ground transportation for bicycles.
Hawaiian Airlines does not accept CO2 cartridges in checked or carry-on baggage.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:02 AM
ZhugeLiang

S&S Case vs 135L Post Transfer Case

20230331_073150 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

20230331_072945 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

20230331_073901 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

20230331_073828 by Wei Hui, on Flickr
Old 03-31-2023, 09:21 AM
ZhugeLiang

Between the S&S and Post Transfer

S&S
Harder to pack because of tight space - must follow a certain order or configuration in order to fit everything in - have a picture taken or do an outline sketch so that every time you pack, you are following the same.

The 700cc rim brake Ritchey Zeta wheels with its detachable rear hub/axle/cassette without tools makes a difference

20230331_082327 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

20230331_083031 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

I tried to pack my 650b disc wheels X 38mm tires - no go.

20230331_081721 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

Post Transfer
Really like the dedicated wheel padded pockets, protect from coming into contact with rest of frameset

Plenty of room to stuff things around, doesn't require as much discipline in putting things exactly where they need to be.

The good thing about soft case is...it's "soft", stretchable or will bulge if the items inside take up a bit more space.

The ability to collapse and fold into a backpack a plus which makes riding from the airport to another location a possibility.

I like the straps for carrying on the back, won't necessarily recommend for walking a long distance but doable

My only concern is:

Having to pay special attention to airlines oversize luggage policy changes and requirements.

With the S&S case, as long as I stay within the weight limit, it will be ok.

Last edited by weisan; 03-31-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:26 AM

My airport ninja packing. Slide wheels on either side of the bag, and drop the bike in the middle. The bike as pictured is one unit with nothing loose. Can be pulled out easily and dropped right back in. Other than a small pouch with tools to reassemble, nothing else goes in the bag with my bike. I don't need TSA to have to fuss around with additional gear and shoving it where they think it goes. 20min to pack and around 20 min to build.

Old 03-31-2023, 09:30 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
My airport ninja packing. Slide wheels on either side of the bag, and drop the bike in the middle. The bike as pictured is one unit with nothing loose. Can be pulled out easily and dropped right back in. Other than a small pouch with tools to reassemble, nothing else goes in the bag with my bike. I don't need TSA to have to fuss around with additional gear and shoving it where they think it goes. 20min to pack and around 20 min to build.
This is the way.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Good stuff in here and good pictures. I like that crank/chainstay cover thing, pretty nice.

I'm always in a hurry and never clean my bike properly, and the crank is always a source of getting grease/grime everywhere.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/not...-policy-waiver

Important Information Regarding Your Bicycle
Aloha Cyclists,

Hawaiian Airlines has made operational adjustments to better accommodate guests traveling with us to participate in the following events:

2022 Ironman World Championship, Kona, Hawaii Island
As a result, we now accept bicycles packed in hard-shell cases, soft cases, or cardboard bicycle boxes. A few other important details worth noting:

All participants need to sign the bicycle waiver form when checking in their bicycle.
Bicycle must have handlebars fixed sideways with pedals removed and packed.
Bicycle should be packed ahead of time, as Hawaiian Airlines does not assist in providing packing materials.
In the unlikely event that we cannot accommodate your bicycle on your flight for reasons of space availability, we will load it on the next available flight. When that flight arrives, you may claim your item at baggage claim. Please note that we do not provide ground transportation for bicycles.
Hawaiian Airlines does not accept CO2 cartridges in checked or carry-on baggage.
For $100. The bolded part also feels pretty lame. Not the most bike friendly airline. The feed you though!
Old 03-31-2023, 10:51 AM

One other thing I really liked about the post carry is there are several little pockets inside to put the various little bits of your bike you may want to remove. One for the rear der, and one in each wheel bag for skewers or rotors or whatever.

Plus, I was able to put enough in mine that it was my main bag travelling. I threw a couple things in my wifes bad and some in my carry on backpack, but that was it. Granted, I was going to hawaii and didn't need much in the way of clothes.

The one issue that remains is that (the 150 at least) is just a little too big. I can fit it a couple different ways into the back of my Rav4, but if you were going to europe and renting a small car, it could be a challenge, depending on what you get. I sort of wish I'd got the 135, I think my bike would have [I]just[I] fit, but I wanted to have flexibility for future bike and I'm hopeful my full sus mtn bike might fit in with the rear shock removed (though I haven't tried it).
Old 04-02-2023, 02:59 PM

Today I pulled the Habanero out of the case and built it back up. I'm a slow mechanic but I was done in 35 minutes. It would take a bit more time without a workstand. Seems OK.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:20 AM

Bumping this thread as I got flustered with the disassembly of my bike (my own fault, should have done a trial run) and didn't manage to bring my bike with me on our recent trip to Taiwan and Japan.

My main questions as follows.

1) What is considered best practice when it comes to removing the fork? I'm using a CK NoThreadSet, and the parts housed inside the upper cup went flying when I removed the fork.

2) What tools do you bring? I think the ones needed are hex wrenches and chain breaker. Or perhaps a torque wrench in lieu of hex wrenches.

3) Is it absolutely necessary to remove the chain?

4) What is considered normal assembly/ disassembly time? And would these be less than what's expected for a S&S bike (granted, I won't be using cable splitters).

5) Is there any case that won't require removal of fork?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by echappist; 06-07-2023 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:52 AM

Scicon cases don't require fork removal, but...

It's a whole different animal = big and heavy:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...id:OvbHiVKlvXs

If you are going to bring your bike in a case you gotta wanna. And if you wanna you gotta be comfortable assembling and taking apart. Gotta know the parts in headset and what order they go in. Gotta be careful not to lose any part or your screwed. Diagrams of assembly order and good zip lock bags are your friend. And someplace special to store the chain's quick link.

Taking the chain off is messy but with a quick link can be done in seconds. And then it's not flopping around against your bike inside the case.

Yes to tools. Hexes, chain pliers, and depending how much carbon...prob some simple torque wrench. And nowadays maybe those damn Torx wrenches too.

45 minutes to an hour. Almost always worse under time pressure. Patience will be your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Bumping this thread as I got flustered with the disassembly of my bike (my own fault, should have done a trial run) and didn't manage to bring my bike with me on our recent trip to Taiwan and Japan.

1) What is considered best practice when it comes to removing the fork? I'm using a CK NoThreadSet, and the parts housed inside the upper cup went flying when I removed the fork.

2) What tools do you bring? I think the ones needed are hex wrenches and chain breaker. Or perhaps a torque wrench in lieu of hex wrenches.

4) What is considered normal assembly/ disassembly time? And would these be less than what's expected for a S&S bike (granted, I won't be using cable splitters).

Many thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post

Many thanks in advance
I only have experience with the Post Transfer 150L, but here's what I've found.

1) Have to remove the fork, won't fit without doing that. If you have cable routing that won't let you remove the fork, then the Post is a no-go. I pull the fork, then stack all the headset components in order on the steer tube, then put the top cap back on so nothing can slide off, then pack it. You can wrap the whole thing in a rag if you're worried about grease or rattling.

2) When I'm disassembling the bike for packing, every tool I use goes in ziploc which I then pack in one of the side pockets of the case. In my case, i'm down to a 4/5/6 hex Y-wrench, an 8mm L-hex for my pedals, and a tiny tube of grease. My travel bike is alloy and none of the components are too fiddly about torque, but if I was taking a carbon bike I wouldn't hesitate to bring a torque wrench.

3) I don't usually remove the chain. the Post case has a cover that goes over the large chainring, chainstay and derailleur hanger, so I just wrap it up in the velcro straps that attach that.

4) I have no reference for comparison with S+S, but I'm usually about 25 minutes to disassemble/pack and 20 minutes to rebuild.

5) All the cases that don't require fork removal are much larger. I don't have any experience with them.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:25 PM

Thank you both.

I’ll get practicing.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:32 PM

Went to Belgium in April with the 150L Post. Packed it up to 48 lbs.
Survived 4 flights, 2 TSA checks and at least one "less than enthused" porter in Brussels, stacking hard cases on top of mine as it was wheeled to OverSize pickup. So far so good. and no additional $$$

Agreed that 4 wheels would be nice or at least a repositioning of the 'pull' handle which I found a bit awkward.

All in all though. I was pretty pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0338 (1).jpg (144.6 KB, 69 views)