Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2023, 05:39 PM

revisit: Post Transfer Case vs Orucase B2R

The Orucase is $650 and the Post is $400. Can anyone suggest why one is $250 better than the other? Other than the plastic runners on the outside of the Orucase, I can't see why the Oru is worth it? Open to views and reviews.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:48 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Can’t answer your question as I only have Post Transfer case but I’m very impressed with the Transfer case - thoughtful and well constructed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2023, 08:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

20230317_082913 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

Just got this from Clancy pal yesterday, he was kind enough to meet me in town to do a transfer, save me a road trip and shipping. Took it out of the box this morning to examine its content and usage. I have to agree with Kirk pal, it looks to be very well thought out, padded and constructed, I have absolutely no qualms about using it to fly my coupled bike anywhere and leaving the S&S case at home. I like that it has straps for carrying it as a backpack. It's conceivable to have everything you need at your transit/airport to suit up, jump on the bike, pack the case down to its minimum footprint, carry it in the back and ride to your final destination. You can't do that with a hard case.
The other thing that I like about the transfer case is the built in padded compartments dedicated to the wheels which offer protection for both the wheels and the frame.
I have two S&S hard case, one Ritchey Breakaway softcase. In comparison, this weighs 12 pounds, which is in between the other cases I have.

I can't wait to try it out soon on one of my trips.

Last edited by weisan; 03-18-2023 at 05:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:29 AM

I have the orucase airport ninja. It has been on numerous domestic and international flights with zero issues. That b2r with wheels would be nice. Wearing my airport ninja like a backpack wears me out walking a mile to get to the train car we are assigned to.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:57 PM

I have a transfer case that worked great when I did six months in Germany a couple years ago. No idea if the other one is worth $250 more. Mine worked so I guess it was worth what I paid.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:47 PM

I just received a 135L Transfer Case. This afternoon I broke down the Habanero, which I bought and built for this purpose, and put it in the case. This is a dry run so I didn't fuss with packing the RD and the front brake caliper properly.

It took some head scratching, partially because the frame is right up at the limit of the capacity of the 135L case (looong chainstays and integral RD hanger). I only partially deflated the 650Bx42 tires and it seems evident that fully deflating tires this size would make packing easier. That's a dilemma because I'd sure like to run tubeless when I am traveling, but don't want to have to fuss with getting beads set at my destination. They fit in the wheel pouches being 650B, but in the depth dimension of the case I think packing would be easier if tires were deflated. The case ends up "bulgy" on the sides, and getting the zipper zipped takes some attention.

I'd say it is well made and feels decently rugged. I guess I'll see!

It has backpack straps but it's hard to imagine using them. Packed, without extras like tools, water bottles, soft luggage, it weighs 32 pounds packed. Bike with pedals, cages, bell, hbar bag mount is 20 pounds..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2462 copy.jpg (104.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2466 copy.jpg (124.8 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by NHAero; 03-26-2023 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:57 PM

do you know the length of the chainstays?

I am considering the big bag for my XL Creo. I have done the measurements Post suggests and that suggests fit should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I just received a 135L Transfer Case. This afternoon I broke down the Habanero, which I bought and built for this purpose, and put it in the case. This is a dry run so I didn't fuss with packing the RD and the front brake caliper properly.

It took some head scratching, partially because the frame is right up at the limit of the capacity of the 135L case (looong chainstays and integral RD hanger). I only partially deflated the 650Bx42 tires and it seems evident that fully deflating tires this size would make packing easier. That's a dilemma because I'd sure like to run tubeless when I am traveling, but don't want to have to fuss with getting beads set at my destination. They fit in the wheel pouches being 650B, but in the depth dimension of the case I think packing would be easier if tires were deflated. The case ends up "bulgy" on the sides, and getting the zipper zipped takes some attention.

It has backpack straps but it's hard to imagine using them. Packed, without extras like tools, water bottles, soft luggage, it weighs 32 pounds packed. Bike with pedals, cages, bell, hbar bag mount is 20 pounds..
Old 03-26-2023, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I flew with my gravel bike with 650b x 50 tires in the post carry base. Had to fully deflate but no problems with the bead being undone from the rim hook. Probably depends on the tires as well but as long as you don't move the bead off the hook rim, you should be ok
Old 03-26-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
I flew with my gravel bike with 650b x 50 tires in the post carry base. Had to fully deflate but no problems with the bead being undone from the rim hook. Probably depends on the tires as well but as long as you don't move the bead off the hook rim, you should be ok
Did you take the sealant out and then re-install when you built the bike back up?
Old 03-26-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I am considering the big bag for my XL Creo. I have done the measurements Post suggests and that suggests fit should be ok.
If Post says it works, I'd trust them. My bike frame is actually a smidge out of size for the 135 but I emailed them and they confirmed it would fit.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Did you take the sealant out and then re-install when you built the bike back up?
nope, no sealant leaked or spilled during transit. as long as you don't break the bead seal (unhook the bead from the rim hook), it should stay sealed. I'm not entirely sure about hookless rims though
Old 03-30-2023, 12:48 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Post trip review : the Post Tranfer case worked well for me on its first voyage. No baggage fees on Alaska even though oversized (but under the weight limit. Inspected by TSA both ways, but with lots of space and not overpacking (added only shoes, water bottles, pump and tools), nothing was out of place or messed up.

Quite easy to manage, I do sorta wish it had 4 wheels like my Buxumbox, which would make rolling through airport etc easier when you have a long walk.

Bike disassembly was reasonable using Ritchey Swiss cross. Removed RD hanger with RD attached makes for better fit and reduced risk of bent hanger. Using mech discs, I have a cable splitter on rear brake and the front, with external cable routing, I remove the caliper so that it’s easier to position handlebars without linking cables. Sram AXS makes it easy too. Assembly/Disassembly/Packing while drinking coffee takes about 40 minutes in part due to having six bolt rotors to take off - will probably change to center lock wheelset.

Anyway, no real complaints.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:01 PM
ZhugeLiang

37 pounds

Rim brake mechanical 650b wheels 38mm tires
Include water bottle, helmet, shoes, tools
Removal: fork, handlebar, seatpost, RD, crankset
Frame de-coupled.
All to make packing easier.

20230330_144438 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

20230330_144442 by Wei Hui, on Flickr

Last edited by weisan; 03-30-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Post trip review : the Post Tranfer case worked well for me on its first voyage. No baggage fees on Alaska even though oversized (but under the weight limit. Inspected by TSA both ways, but with lots of space and not overpacking (added only shoes, water bottles, pump and tools), nothing was out of place or messed up.

Quite easy to manage, I do sorta wish it had 4 wheels like my Buxumbox, which would make rolling through airport etc easier when you have a long walk.

Bike disassembly was reasonable using Ritchey Swiss cross. Removed RD hanger with RD attached makes for better fit and reduced risk of bent hanger. Using mech discs, I have a cable splitter on rear brake and the front, with external cable routing, I remove the caliper so that it’s easier to position handlebars without linking cables. Sram AXS makes it easy too. Assembly/Disassembly/Packing while drinking coffee takes about 40 minutes in part due to having six bolt rotors to take off - will probably change to center lock wheelset.

Anyway, no real complaints.

Thank you for the intel! Which size case is this?
Old 03-30-2023, 04:18 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Thank you for the intel! Which size case is this?
150L with XXL Ritchey frame