Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Rapha Randonee Trousers:
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/search...ndonee+trouser
Old 06-08-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
Bonobos has a lightweight/summer weight option that is great.
ReReviving the Chinos thread...

Just ordered three pair of the Bonobos stretch chinos. Received them yesterday. They are indeed a step up from the Dockers haunting my closet.

Nice fabric, great selection of fitting options, recommendation of length that was spot on...and a full inch shorter than what I would have ordered.

I also found a promo code that brought the pants down from $70 to $55 per pair. Sweet.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-08-2023, 09:29 PM

I miss being able to buy 100% cotton chinos. They're rare as hen's teeth these days. What a world.

I have utterly loathed the stretchy chinos I've purchased from brands like Dockers, Banana Republic, Bonobos, and similar. Just awful. They look great when you're trying them on. Wear them for an hour and you look like you're wearing a diaper. (Anyway... That's what happens to me. I'm fit but thicc.) Plus synthetic fabrics show dirt in a way cotton never does. Give me cotton!!

Recently, it came to crisis mode, as all my chinos were falling apart. I needed to make a decision. I ended up buying J. Crew chinos because the fit seemed reasonable and they have only 1% stretch material.

They are... fine. I don't love them. But they are miles better than any of the stretchy-stretch nonsense they're selling as pants these days, so I bought them in 5 colors and I'm going to make do until something better comes along.

This has been yet another edition of.... old man yells at cloud. Cheers
Old 06-08-2023, 09:43 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I've given up on finding truly lightweight 100% cotton pants or jeans.

When it really gets hot I switch over to nylon + elastane mix stuff - it isn't high fashion, but light years better for breathability, and way, way cooler for hot & humid St Louis summers.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:33 PM

Big fan of Prana - especially the Zion series. Stretch material, fits well, great casual/formal option.

https://www.prana.com/men/bottoms/pants.html
Old 06-09-2023, 09:46 PM
Sunshine

Kuhl Slax

68% Cotton, 
29% Nylon, 
3% Spandex 
5.2 oz./sq. yd. | 176 SGM

Relatively lightweight, quick drying, not skinny, not low rise, but also not loose and sloppy.
Best of all- they come in 36 length.
Old 06-10-2023, 05:17 AM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I've given up on finding truly lightweight 100% cotton pants or jeans.

When it really gets hot I switch over to nylon + elastane mix stuff - it isn't high fashion, but light years better for breathability, and way, way cooler for hot & humid St Louis summers.
Try Lands End. They have a classic 100% cotton version & the knockabouts which are 97% cotton. They always run a 40% off sale & 50% off a couple times a year (thanksgiving being one of those times). They are my go-to. I know my size & just order a bunch when I need them. Easy day.
Old 06-10-2023, 06:37 AM

While I don't own any, I'd expect that the recent releases from ironheart, Samurai and 3sixteen would be amazing. Lots if different cuts and fabric choices.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:09 AM

If considering premium, my choices would be Todd Snyder’s or Ralph Lauren’s 100% cotton offerings.
Old 06-10-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I miss being able to buy 100% cotton chinos. They're rare as hen's teeth these days. What a world.

I have utterly loathed the stretchy chinos I've purchased from brands like Dockers, Banana Republic, Bonobos, and similar. Just awful. They look great when you're trying them on. Wear them for an hour and you look like you're wearing a diaper. (Anyway... That's what happens to me. I'm fit but thicc.) Plus synthetic fabrics show dirt in a way cotton never does. Give me cotton!!

Recently, it came to crisis mode, as all my chinos were falling apart. I needed to make a decision. I ended up buying J. Crew chinos because the fit seemed reasonable and they have only 1% stretch material.

They are... fine. I don't love them. But they are miles better than any of the stretchy-stretch nonsense they're selling as pants these days, so I bought them in 5 colors and I'm going to make do until something better comes along.

This has been yet another edition of.... old man yells at cloud. Cheers
Readily available on eBay. Frequently for $10 - $15. I haven't bought new clothes in years.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:53 PM

Another vote for kuhl pants.
I've got several different variations and they are very durable, comfortable and lightweight.
Old 06-11-2023, 12:03 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Guys, thanks for the various recommendations.

I'll see if I can find somewhere in the STL area that carries the Kuhl pants to check them out in person.

Louis
Old 06-11-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Guys, thanks for the various recommendations.

I'll see if I can find somewhere in the STL area that carries the Kuhl pants to check them out in person.

Louis
I bought mine at REI. Also some Prana Zion which were also suggested. The Prana are 100% nylon if I remember right, at least they are pretty much cotton free. I would never consider such a thing in the past but I now have 3 pair and really like them.
Old 06-11-2023, 07:13 AM

I truly despise the current crop of stretch fabric pants and shirts. Especially the dress shirts. They are hot and look like crap after the first wearing.

I am waiting now for some cotton shirts from LLBean that will be delivered “before July 25”. What happened to regular cotton fabric? Is this covid related?