Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:47 AM

No "need" to gear up?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:51 AM

I got my walking shoes (9.5, cinchers)... for those. Actually I one legged it on 28s.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
I am on these roads daily - with a Gaulzetti bicycle and some Challenge 23mm clinchers. There's no need to gear up (equipment) for this event.
this "tough guy" attitude would actually be strictly terrible advice for most newcomers to D2R2. 23c tires are probably find for 90+% of the roads on the ride, but the occasional jeep track and real loose stuff is just not suitable for racing tires.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:59 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
I got my walking shoes (9.5, cinchers)... for those. Actually I one legged it on 28s.
Well it's a beautiful area, a great cause, and a fun day. But as far as gear goes, it's really just a road ride. There's dirt. And some gravel. And Hawkes Road (I think that's the name - I am going from memory) has some fun sections. But the worst of it is no more than being caught on bad roads in a torn up section of a town you found when you took a wrong turn. I get the love for the day, and the region. As far as the bicycle and parts parts go, they won't know any different if you just show up and pedal what you use any other weekend.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Imshi Cycles

Sure I COULD ride my cx bike on mtb trails, but I'd probably have a lot more fun on a mtb. Same logic applies to D2R2. You could run skinny tires and maybe luck out, but my experiences (with others on skinnies) has been the opposite (flats, multiple, everytime).

This ride is best done on a "fat tire road bike" aka a cx bike. With properly adjusted cantis/v's, braking is as good as calipers and with a larger tire you are not only less likely to flat but also more likely to actually ENJOY the ride, rather than stressing about how many tubes you have in your pocket or how sharp the rocks on the road are...

Just my 2c.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
this "tough guy" attitude would actually be strictly terrible advice for most newcomers to D2R2. 23c tires are probably find for 90+% of the roads on the ride, but the occasional jeep track and real loose stuff is just not suitable for racing tires.
Heh?
I was a newcomer to D2R2 a long time ago and used the same parts I described.
No need for the characterization here, quotes or no quotes.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Well it's a beautiful area, a great cause, and a fun day. But as far as gear goes, it's really just a road ride. There's dirt. And some gravel. And Hawkes Road (I think that's the name - I am going from memory) has some fun sections. But the worst of it is no more than being caught on bad roads in a torn up section of a town you found when you took a wrong turn. I get the love for the day, and the region. As far as the bicycle and parts parts go, they won't know any different if you just show up and pedal what you use any other weekend.
you CAN cut your steak with a chainsaw too, that doesnt mean its the smartest thing to do.

blow-hards aside, most people will find the course and the ride much more enjoyable on some nice fat tires.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:11 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
you CAN cut your steak with a chainsaw too, that doesnt mean its the smartest thing to do.

blow-hards aside, most people will find the course and the ride much more enjoyable on some nice fat tires.
Jeez Nick -have a nice day.
I was only here replying with my personal experiences from the event and living here in the area.
Apologies for not having the same POV that you have.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3roadracer View Post
No "need" to gear up?
If you're a strong rider, a strong climber, and have good bike handling skills, then there is not really a need to "gear up."

If you, like me, are lacking in any of these areas, your ride can be made more pleasurable with wider tires, and lower gearing. I'll be on 32mm tires, and bringing a 22 - 28 low gear.

You'll see all kinds of bikes on the ride (which is part of the fun.) Everything from road bikes with skinny tires to full suspension MTBs with 2.2 inch wide tires. It comes down to your fitness and skill level, and which bike you're most comfortable with.

Chris
Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I was only here replying with my personal experiences .
and i mine...

anyway, back on topic.

i'll have the GH out and about. my plan at the moment is 30 in the rear, 28 up front.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
and i mine...

anyway, back on topic.

i'll have the GH out and about. my plan at the moment is 30 in the rear, 28 up front.
You're my Friday velo-hero.
Bananas.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryscientist View Post
this "tough guy" attitude would actually be strictly terrible advice for most newcomers to d2r2. 23c tires are probably fine for 90+% of the roads on the ride, but the occasional jeep track and real loose stuff is just not suitable for racing tires.
+100
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM
It An't Me Babe

These discussions always bring out the inner cycling stud. Where the advice is ostensibly to help out a rider who might consider participating in the ride and the true result is to parade the extraordinary fitness and skill of the person in reply.

Just help the guy out.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 AM

This will be my fourth year - previous years I have done the shorter variants (100 and 115 I think) and have done the routes a few other times. Hoping to finally tackle the full one this year. I never know what to use. Last year I used a road bike with a standard crank and an 11-28 cassette on the the 115 and I had to walk at a couple of points, one of which I was popping tiny wheelies unless leaning way over the front of the bike. This year I'll be using the same road bike (Litespeed Archon 3) with 25s but have switched to a compact crank (I tried to upload a picture but technical difficulties prevented it). When I've used 30 and up I've not flatted, but when I've used 25 and under I have - though obviously this may just be a function of the particular tires I was using. I did the 100 route on a tandem with a friend on 25s and we flatted once, but I have to say the descents were absolutely insane/harrowing/fun/thrilling. When I've done it on a triple I never had to walk, but the bike was way heavier than my road bike, so there was that trade-off.

Regardless of what you use it'll be fun. The collection of bikes is one of my favorite parts - pretty much 75% of them are worth more than my car (my own included). If anyone is thinking of doing it, they should. The 100k has a bail-out option that makes it very doable for anyone regardless of experience I would say.

Plus the entry includes one free beer at the end, which may be my favorite part about the whole thing.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
I am on these roads daily - with a Gaulzetti bicycle and some Challenge 23mm clinchers. There's no need to gear up (equipment) for this event.
Disagree with ritchie on this!

Can you ride "anything", i.e. not "gear up" for the ride? Maybe

but you will have a much better day if you (imo) have tires at least 28mm (32mm plus even better) and have a low gear as close to 1 to 1 as possible.

ymmv
Closed Thread

Tags
firefly