Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 09:04 AM

Non Campy cranksets that play nice w/ Campy

Bike fitter says that optimally, I'm supposed to be on 165 cranks. I took a look at some Campy cranks and they are $$$.

I've got 11sp Campy. I've always just stuck with the matching cranks from a full groupset.

I may not change out but it does have me wondering what 3rd party, aftermarket cranks that work well with Campy. And which are worth the money?

Lots of noise out on the web but would be great to hear from PLers and your experience.

Praxis? Rotor? FSA? Shimano? Other?

tia
Old 06-08-2023, 09:16 AM

Drivetrains are fairly agnostic about the cranks used. As long as you have the correct chainline and chainring sizes, you're usually good to go.

I've got a few bikes with Campagnolo drivetrains (10spd & 11spd). I'm using a variety of different cranks including Campagnolo, SRAM, Sugino and Stronglight, and some of these use removable spiders from Power2Max and Engin. For chainrings, I'm using Campagnolo, SRAM, Sugino, Stronglight, TA and Praxis.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:19 AM
Administrator

I agree with Mark, I mix and match stuff across the board.

I'm a pretty diehard campy guy, but I still think Shimano has the best, smoothest front shifting. They have the chainring design dialed IMO.

Praxis are very good shifting also in my experience.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:25 AM

On my mtn bikes I went from 175 to 165, and the change was magic to my knees.

On my Campy 8 speed, in an effort to get lower gearing, I put a vintage Sakae/Ringyo (SR) Super Custom (86mm BCD) Triple Crank Set 170 mm, $15 from my local bike co-op. I was a bit worried about even 5mm longer arms, but just rode a century with them last weekend, and they felt fine - no knee issues. Not sure what you think about the vintage route, but you can find plenty of similar vintage cranksets out there, double and triple, with down to 165mm arms. I've heard that the cranksets will work fine with 10-11 speed Campy, but watch your chain widths. I have used similar cranks on my other bikes with 9-10 speed derailleurs and no issues.

Having said all that, there are more Campy intellegent members here that I hope will chime in. Ain't Campy drivetrains fun sometimes? Good luck.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:59 AM

Probably not the direction you would go, but I’ve used Spécialités TA cranks with Campagnolo 10 speed in the past and it was great. Their cranks range from classic to a more modern aesthetic, I think the Carmina is the “modern” road crank available in polished silver and black. I believe all are aluminum and square taper, but all sorts of crank lengths and ring configurations. Though, I haven’t kept up on their current offerings, I’d be surprised if they didn’t have Campag 11spd compatibility.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I've got a few bikes with Campagnolo drivetrains (10spd & 11spd). I'm using a variety of different cranks including Campagnolo, SRAM, Sugino and Stronglight, and some of these use removable spiders from Power2Max and Engin. For chainrings, I'm using Campagnolo, SRAM, Sugino, Stronglight, TA and Praxis.
Just an aside, Shimano cranks would work. I've used them before.

If you must have a crank based PM + Campy + 165mm, then Power2max plus the Rotor Aldhu arms are an option. The issue is that once you add chainrings, it's looking pretty pricey. I know Mark asked one time about Campy 165mm power meter cranks, and I don't know what the final decision was?

Last, back to the OP's question: I know you're on an 11s group, but is the 12s Chorus crank not an option? Here's one listing in the Netherlands that looks pretty cheap - I mean, I guess cheap for Campy, but the price is comparable to Shimano cranks. Or here's an eBay listing for 165mm 12s Record. If you get a 3rd party crankset, it seems like you're usually paying quite a bit of $$. It seems like you could shop around for 12s Campy cranks - not sure what the prices would be like on 165mm 11s cranks.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Praxis? Rotor? FSA? Shimano? Other?
All of them work and you can run smaller 46/30 chainrings from Rotor or Easton if you'd like.

Personally running Easton EA90 cranks with their 46/30 chainring, no problem.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:26 AM
Go Sox!

I’ve set up Shimano, Velo-Orange, Sram, and TA cranks all to work with 11 speed campy.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
If you must have a crank based PM + Campy + 165mm, then Power2max plus the Rotor Aldhu arms are an option. The issue is that once you add chainrings, it's looking pretty pricey. I know Mark asked one time about Campy 165mm power meter cranks, and I don't know what the final decision was?
There are only a few companies that make Campagnolo power meter cranks, and I was unable to find any that made them in 165mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
Last, back to the OP's question: I know you're on an 11s group, but is the 12s Chorus crank not an option?
12spd cranks have the same chainline as 11spd HO (disc brake) cranks. If used with a mechanical shifting group, the chainline can be restored with chainring spacers.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:22 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
All of them work and you can run smaller 46/30 chainrings from Rotor or Easton if you'd like.
I don't believe this is true of Praxis, certainly the Zayante carbon cranks I used to use with a Campy 11 setup only went down to 48/32. I liked them a lot, they shifted very well, but I was not a fan of the required BB. And, if your bike has an ITA BB then the only way to make them work is to buy another ITA BB and swap in the Praxis replacement bearings.

Also, if you consider a Campy 12s crankset be aware that replacement rings, should you need them, are pricey -- especially the 48/32 Chorus ones. It was cheaper for me to buy a complete chainset and sell the old ones sans rings on eBay.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:25 PM

You can select Shimano 12 too. Many 11 speed users are using Shimano 12 chains. GRX is an option for smaller rings, but the Q factor is wider and spacing washers are needed behind each ring to narrow the chainline. That's what I do for a SRAM 12 drivetrain. The wider Q doesn't bother me.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:49 PM
cmg

Check out Planet cyclery.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I don't believe this is true of Praxis, certainly the Zayante carbon cranks I used to use with a Campy 11 setup only went down to 48/32.

Also, if you consider a Campy 12s crankset be aware that replacement rings, should you need them, are pricey -- especially the 48/32 Chorus ones. It was cheaper for me to buy a complete chainset and sell the old ones sans rings on eBay.
Yup! That's why I didn't call out Praxis chainrings.

With direct mounts, one wonders why manufacturers don't bother going lower. There's no BCD preventing anyone from offering a 44/28 or gasp.. 42/26.

Also yeah the Campy stuff is pricey and their proprietary offset BCD leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (Along with the supposed Centaur / Potenza 11sp incompatibility.)
Old 06-08-2023, 10:20 PM

Lack of 165mm cranks for 11 speed Campy is a bugbear of mine too. Since moving from 170's down to 165 a year or so ago, it's like a veil has been lifted on my riding. More efficient, more comfortable, less fatigue - just better in every way.

There were some limited-run Campy 11sp cranks of the 5-arm variety but these are rare as Hen's teeth (there's a thread on PL, titled "oddball" cranks, or similar).

Anything 11 speed with a 43.5mm chainline is good, but I agree with Angry that Shimano's got front shifting dialed and personally I prefer their attachment and BB system (Hollowtech 2) more than any other system (including Campy's hirth joint).

If weight isn't an issue to you, just buy these (I would have already picked them up if I lived in the US, it's un-economical for me after $ exchange and shipping to AU):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-RS5...05579#viTabs_0

Bonus, they won't snap like Shimano's bonded cranks plus you might be able to de-logo them easily for a stealth look.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:30 PM

OK. Good to know. Sounds like mixing and matching is good.

I've just read people griping about shifting not being as smooth or dropped chains, etc

And this would be on mechanical group though not sure it matters.

I had looked at Ebay and around a few of the knows sites like Merlin, wiggle, etc and they were either out or it was $$. Like over $1k. I mean I was like.. for that price I might as well just buy the 12sp group.

Good call out re: the 12 sp rings though. I was looking at the 48/32 165mm

Doesn't sound like anyone has a "do not use this brand" warning.