Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
What's changed with modern hookless tires/rims is that the rims now have "shelves" of a precise diameter, and the bead circumference of the tire is held to a tighter tolerance. If the tire and rim aren't too made to matching tolerances, or if the pressure is too high, the flexible kevlar bead can still creep up the sidewall. I wonder if modern hookless rims wouldn't be able to use narrower tires at higher pressures if they used wire bead tires? But then again, wire beads are so stiff, it might be nearly impossible to get the tire onto the rim.
I thought that tubeless tires had stiffer beads than regular clinchers. Is Kevlar the material of choice for the tire beads of tubeless tires? I thought some manufacturers were using carbon fiber (Hutchinson, for example).
Old 06-08-2023, 10:06 AM

It really doesn't matter what's use for the bead, if a brand is known to have stretching problems, don't buy it.

Michelin and Pirelli have worked for me.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:10 PM

RH tubeless will blow off hooked rims, too.

Tubeless is a buyer beware scenario.

I have one set of hookless, but am very careful which tires I use on them, carefully inflate and check with an accurate pressure gage, and consider temperature changes if I decide to use more than 65 psi.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:41 PM

Common denominator, RH

Rene Herse is a terrible choice for tubeless. This is like the 10th thread about this problem

Run, don't walk from them for tubeless applications. Just don't tell Jan, he gets prickly and may rise out of his bunker to argue about it. This is a feat as his company struggles with inbound communication from humans

Carry on
Old 06-08-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I thought that tubeless tires had stiffer beads than regular clinchers. Is Kevlar the material of choice for the tire beads of tubeless tires? I thought some manufacturers were using carbon fiber (Hutchinson, for example).
This is a good question. Carbon fiber is stiffer than kevlar - but I didn't think it was foldable. Tubeless tires are just as foldable as kevlar beaded clincher, so can their beads be made of carbon fiber?
Old 06-09-2023, 07:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It really doesn't matter what's use for the bead, if a brand is known to have stretching problems, don't buy it.
Michelin and Pirelli have worked for me.
Quote:
and the bead circumference of the tire is held to a tighter tolerance. If the tire and rim aren't too made to matching tolerances,
Thats part of the problem, isn't it(again, I can't even spell tubless)? Even like bead seat diameter tires vary more than a little in actual tolerances so..

"if a brand is known to have stretching problems, don't buy it"

Seems the 'standards' for tubeless tires is still not really 'standard'.

Peanut gallery's post above...