Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2023, 09:33 AM

Canyon Grizl cf sl 6/7 vs Lynsky GR300?

thoughts between these two? both seem like a good value. according to their charts I take a Small in the canyon and M/L in the Lynsky ie I am 5'8.5" 174cm. 82 inseam measured the pubic way. any compelling reason for one over the other. probably 80-90% road surface with some gravel mixed in.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:19 AM

I have a GR300 in medium. It has more than 70mm of trail and absolutely blows for any kind of out of the saddle riding/climbing or low speed steep climbs. Standing it'll try and twist the bars out of your hands. Seated, slow climbing will have the front wheel wandering all over the place.

Thar said, it'll hold a straight line at other than crawling speeds. Do some research on long trail and wheel flop before you consider the GR300.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I have a GR300 in medium. It has more than 70mm of trail and absolutely blows for any kind of out of the saddle riding/climbing or low speed steep climbs. Standing it'll try and twist the bars out of your hands. Seated, slow climbing will have the front wheel wandering all over the place.

Thar said, it'll hold a straight line at other than crawling speeds. Do some research on long trail and wheel flop before you consider the GR300.
wow that is good to know. how does it do on longer road rides ie 70-100 milers?
Old 06-07-2023, 11:01 AM

I had a Grizl 6 CF and have an older Lynskey (Cooper CX). I loathed the former on the road. (It did fine on gravel, of course). The Lynskey, otoh, (with different tires of course) can go forever on either surface. The GR300 geo is different from the Cooper, but I'd say the Lynskey all day. The Grizl was very blah on the road.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:02 AM

Canyon and Lynskey are both companies known for having somewhat wonky geometry. There are lots of happy riders of each, but personally I wouldn't want either.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:12 AM
Sunshine

Why does Canyon not report its fork offset?!?!
Its not like they are shy with geometry- their site lists component measurements for a given frame size and even has 'effective' measurements with components on the frame.
...yet no fork offset.

Goofy.

Anyways, they Lynsky with 43mm tires is almost 80mm of trail in my size. That would be a hard pass. The rest of the geometry seems pretty well accepted/common/uncontroversial.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
wow that is good to know. how does it do on longer road rides ie 70-100 milers?
Like a Schwinn Varsity.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Like a Schwinn Varsity.
well I guess I will cross it off the list. thanks.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:

One of the best reviews I've read in some time.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:38 AM
Meh

Huh, weird. The trail on my Ritchey Outback is 69mm (with 700C wheels) and you can definitely do low speed steep climbs and out of the saddle riding on that bike just fine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

As for the original post - the Canyon Grizl is huge, so be sure you are comfortable with Canyon's sizing approach (or can confidently figure out which size to buy). Other than that, Canyon is generally a good buy, especially if you don't mind working on your own bike.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:36 PM

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 01-09-2024 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
Edit: Their sizing chart suggested a medium. I went with a small, which was definitely the correct choice.

I find the Lynskey very comfy for long rides, it gets an A+.
Curious on your sizing decision. I have a GR300 in my cart with the me offers they put out and have a medium selected.

I ride a R300 Med road frame with 100 stem and feel its good. But could easily ride a a smaller one due to high stack. My atem is slammed and I could go lower. Im 5'7" .
Old 06-09-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Why does Canyon not report its fork offset?!?!
Its not like they are shy with geometry- their site lists component measurements for a given frame size and even has 'effective' measurements with components on the frame.
...yet no fork offset.

Goofy.

Anyways, they Lynsky with 43mm tires is almost 80mm of trail in my size. That would be a hard pass. The rest of the geometry seems pretty well accepted/common/uncontroversial.
I’d be willing to bet very few canyon buyers know what fork offset is or care much.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Huh, weird. The trail on my Ritchey Outback is 69mm (with 700C wheels) and you can definitely do low speed steep climbs and out of the saddle riding on that bike just fine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

As for the original post - the Canyon Grizl is huge, so be sure you are comfortable with Canyon's sizing approach (or can confidently figure out which size to buy). Other than that, Canyon is generally a good buy, especially if you don't mind working on your own bike.
according to my height and inseam Canyon recommends a small. Lynsky says with my height and inseam I should be a m/l the person who emailed said he was similar size and rode a m/l with shorter stem.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvivr6 View Post
Curious on your sizing decision. I have a GR300 in my cart with the me offers they put out and have a medium selected.

I ride a R300 Med road frame with 100 stem and feel its good. But could easily ride a a smaller one due to high stack. My atem is slammed and I could go lower. Im 5'7" .
I am considering a R300 too. what is your inseam? wondering if medium would be a better fit for me than m/l. How do you like the r300?