Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2023, 03:00 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanhorsfall View Post
Hey Zella, I think you might like the NFS green lube. I haven't used this formula but the regular NFS works well in the Winter on the West coast. The important part is not using too much. If you put too much it will make a mess of your drivetrain. I usually just put a quick bead on the chain, then use a cloth to wipe off the chain. What I mean too when I say "bead" is the lube doesn't drip out like Tri flow. It comes out of the bottle like balsamic syrup.
Oh curious, so it flows out faster? Surely there's at least some flow restriction ya?
Old 06-08-2023, 03:28 PM

I was on OG NFS for a minute - it was great for road but can't stand up to dust if you ride off road. You don't have to use much at all but it works a lot better if you deep clean or even completely strip the chain before applying.

For off road/all-road, get 2 chains, pre-waxed so you don't have to strip them yourself (although Silca now has a quick-stripper solution - not sure how well it works). Hold Fast Cycling has good deals on pre-waxed chains and Molten Speed Wax sells too.

Then, get a bottle of the Silca Drip Wax.

Either apply the drip on wax 12+ hours before a ride or if you forget/are too tired/lazy to do so well before or fight after a ride - as I often do/am - apply right before a ride and then swap the chain out - you just have to always make sure you have your back-up waxed and ready to go.

I actually apply less than Silca recommends (a tiny drop per roller) and work it into the chain with my fingers before it hits the drivetrain so that there isn't enough residue on the drive train to have to worry about cleaning off. It doesn't last as long as if you really doused the chain but I prefer this.

For what it's worth, I've used a 12sp Eagle quick-link probably a dozen times now and it still snaps closed and open nicely, so I don't worry about swapping chains every few rides, which will also extend your drivetrain life (I'm running an X01 cassette, not cheap).

I was crock-potting for a while but I feel like the drip wax actually works better/longer and is much easier. You can also take it with you on multi-day trips to top off!

Last edited by proletariandan; 06-08-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne_in_Spokes View Post
Oh curious, so it flows out faster? Surely there's at least some flow restriction ya?
The NFS bottle top has an open/close lid and if you want a drip it is possible but it is easy to have a small bead come out. I think some of us cycling fanatics are turned off NFS for if it is generously applied it makes a greasy mess of the drivetrain. I use it on my 2x1 which has a simple drivetrain and I haven't had to reapply yet.

I don't know a lot about ADHD but I am curious if it is some people are able to work through it with self discipline.