Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 02-26-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
cough... tubeless... cough...

I tried setting the Bon Jons up tubeless, but couldn’t get them to seat after multiple attempts with the compressor. They are the tubeless compatible version, but they feel very loose when mounting and dismounting. I could remove the tires with just my fingers if need be. Love the way they feel and ride, but may be switching back to GKs and tubeless after the multiple flats fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2020, 04:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I tried setting the Bon Jons up tubeless, but couldn’t get them to seat after multiple attempts with the compressor. They are the tubeless compatible version, but they feel very loose when mounting and dismounting. I could remove the tires with just my fingers if need be. Love the way they feel and ride, but may be switching back to GKs and tubeless after the multiple flats fiasco.

are they older bon jons? Older compass versions, even tubeless compatible, were not very good and hard to set up as tubeless (and specially if they had already been used as non tubeless). New rene herse stuff is MUCH better. Did you try the (this is how I always do it and always have had sucess... well appart from challenge tires because they are garbage)...

Put a tube in, pump it up until bead pops in... deflate, carefully remove one bead leaving one fully intact, remove tube, install tubeless valve. Then use a tire lever and get as much of a bit poped in as you can (probably 60% or so) now pump it up.... and with a compressor I bet it will pop right in.

if you ever around this area, come over and we can try to get it working... I don't have a compressor so have had to go to gas station but do have one of those specialized contractions where you pump in 140psi and then can release it all at once.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
are they older bon jons? Older compass versions, even tubeless compatible, were not very good and hard to set up as tubeless (and specially if they had already been used as non tubeless). New rene herse stuff is MUCH better. Did you try the (this is how I always do it and always have had sucess... well appart from challenge tires because they are garbage)...

Put a tube in, pump it up until bead pops in... deflate, carefully remove one bead leaving one fully intact, remove tube, install tubeless valve. Then use a tire lever and get as much of a bit poped in as you can (probably 60% or so) now pump it up.... and with a compressor I bet it will pop right in.

if you ever around this area, come over and we can try to get it working... I don't have a compressor so have had to go to gas station but do have one of those specialized contractions where you pump in 140psi and then can release it all at once.

Thanks Paulo. They are the Compass TC version, but seems to fit very loose on my Belgium+. The tube and patch that I last used is still holding air, but there is still quite a bit of snow here so no rides on it since.

I may give your truck a try, but not sure yet. I have a portable compressor, so I can always bring that along if I end up down your way.

Btw possibly doing some fat biking up here Wednesday if you are free?

Old 03-01-2020, 07:53 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Thanks Paulo. They are the Compass TC version, but seems to fit very loose on my Belgium+. The tube and patch that I last used is still holding air, but there is still quite a bit of snow here so no rides on it since.

I may give your truck a try, but not sure yet. I have a portable compressor, so I can always bring that along if I end up down your way.

Btw possibly doing some fat biking up here Wednesday if you are free?

I wish I was... going to be in the city, slaving away
Old 03-03-2020, 10:20 AM

Nick,
Rox and I are really going to try to make this. Do you have any more info on ride length. We will probably drive over Saturday and spend the night somewhere close to the ride start.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Nick,
Rox and I are really going to try to make this. Do you have any more info on ride length. We will probably drive over Saturday and spend the night somewhere close to the ride start.
That would be great Dan! I'm shooting for 100k/65mi (ish), and the nature of this ride is it's a big loop, which means there are bail-out options available.

as usual, casual conversational pace, no drop, regroup on hills, etc.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
Nick,
I can't resist riding with the cool kids.
Good chance I will be there too Nick barring any disasters at work.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:57 PM
Administrator

This should be fun, Just sayin.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:45 PM

Hoping to join you guys, barring some end of season kids event. Anyone driving from the city and have an extra spot?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
That line doesn't run on weekends. The nearest accessible station would be Dover, about 16 miles away.
I just found that the Gladstone station is closer, about 10 miles. The first train doesn't get to Gladstone until 9:05 a.m. on Sundays, but assuming no train delays, it shouldn't be too hard to get there for a 10 a.m. start.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
Hoping to join you guys, barring some end of season kids event. Anyone driving from the city and have an extra spot?

I'm in the same situation with the two kids - but for now, I plan on driving from Brooklyn and have a 1up rack on my car.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This should be fun, Just sayin.
Looks awesome. Do you mind posting a strava route for reference?
Old 03-04-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
I'm in the same situation with the two kids - but for now, I plan on driving from Brooklyn and have a 1up rack on my car.
The Cadillac of bike racks! Would really appreciate a lift if you come through the city.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
Looks awesome. Do you mind posting a strava route for reference?
Still working out the route in detail, i wound up on a few roads that were less than desirable yesterday, so i want to cut them out if possible, and i need to string a few of the segments together, but it's coming along!

(also, i dont do strava )
Old 03-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Got a green light for this one!