Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 10:42 PM
Meh

The no good very bad day with my tools on a ride

You ever have one of those rides? You know the ones I mean.

I went out for a quick mixed terrain on the Ritchey after work this evening. Halfway up Gravity Car Fire Road I hear the telltale sound of a big front tire puncture on my brand new Michelin Power Gravel 47. Sealant is dribbling out and the tire is clearly not going to seal without help. Spin the tire puncture-side down and dig into the tools.

Oh yeah ooops - I haven’t refreshed the tools on this bike in awhile, and I’ve been raiding it for other rides. And yep - the dynaplugs are gone.

Okay this is fine, I got this - I know there is a local NICA team coming up the fire road, I will wait for them. The coach is friendly and stops to let me borrow a bacon strip… which completely fails. We try another one… and just make another hole in the tire.

Cool, uh cool cool. I got this, time for the Tubolito. Oh damn - the co2 inflator malfunctions due to a missing gasket that I didn’t notice. I lose all the co2 with no inflation. I knew I should have had a better inflator on this bike, especially since I stole the pump off it.

Okay, we got this - time to walk back down Gravity Car to Panoramic Highway, surely will find someone with a pump there. Cyclists everywhere this time of day! Wow I forgot how much it sucks to walk in Shimano S-Phyre XC shoes.

Okay one mile later, found the highway, the other half of the NICA team appears and gives me a pump. I finally inflate the tubolito…. And the tire comes out oblong.

“F%*{ it, we’ll do it live!” I manage to limp back home on the oblong tire, descending off Tam and dragging the brakes all the way home to keep the bumps from the misaligned tire from causing too much shimmy.

By some stroke of fortune, I managed to make it home without yet another mishap. I guess I’d better stop raiding the tool bag on this bike. Also - dynaplug > bacon strips.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:51 PM

Glad you made it home! Been there a few times on long hikes with no hope of rescue.

Is why I keep a dynaplug racer under a bottle cage on all bikes, and another tubeless kit always goes in the pocket that has a bacon kit and a spike to plug the leak and clean the cut while assessing the situation…and c02 is never on mine..too many similar experiences.

I’ll probably be walking tomorrow after typing this!
Old 05-16-2024, 01:48 AM

I appreciate the advice from experience. Flat tires are certainly no fun, especially on a long ride. It's wise to always be prepared with backup supplies, given the potential for equipment failure. All it takes is one missing item to turn a fun ride into an unexpectedly long walk! I'll be sure to take the lesson of being fully stocked to heart. Better to have extra supplies and not need them, than to find yourself in a pinch without the means to patch up and continue on your way. Safe and enjoyable rides to you!
Old 05-16-2024, 01:51 AM

Tool issues are every cyclist's worst fear. It's a lesson learned for us. Time for a full tool audit and restock.
Old 05-16-2024, 04:55 AM

On one hand you want to carry all the tools needed to get you out of trouble and home safe, but too often I see people going way too far, lugging around every bike tool they own and 2 butyl tubes + patches. Unless you're riding through Siberian wilderness a minimal setup + emergency phone call should be enough.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:12 AM

The problem after an adventure like that is you wind up carrying 18 pounds of tools so you're not caught out again
Old 05-16-2024, 05:35 AM

Good story. It takes character to admit our mistakes.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:21 AM

Make a donation to the NICA team. Those coaches have their hands full taking care of other people's unprepared kids on mountain bikes and don't need you to contribute to the circus

In addition to their time...those folks get robbed blind of bike consumables. And they still have to pay for parking at events

Make a donation
Old 05-16-2024, 07:15 AM

I'm new to the dynaplugs. First order of business - remember to take that little kit with me!

Bought a dynaplug kit. Have no idea where it is. Bought another. Right now it's on the file cabinet in my office. That will be *very* helpful when I flat eight miles from home.

I do carry a mini pump...after decades of carrying cartridges...
Sampson
HotTubes
LtSpeed
SpeshFat

Last edited by C40_guy; 05-16-2024 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:18 AM
Administrator

I have a bunch of bikes, so I've swapped to a system where I carry most of the small essentials in my back pocket on every ride, regardless of which bike I'm riding.

Each bike has a micro saddle bag with a spare tube in it.

This little bag goes everywhere on the bike with me.

Old 05-16-2024, 07:37 AM

You know, I have one of those fancy painted Silca frame pumps. And while it's very fiddly to disassemble, I'm lubricating that leather washer every year. Because I don't want to have a flat tire, and then I get my pump and it doesn't work, and everyone in the group laughs at me for having a $400 frame pump that doesn't pump.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:45 AM
Meh

I thanked the NICA team profusely and will definitely be donating, but Tam High mountain biking doesn’t need my help - they won state champs last year on their fleet of dads hand-me-down S-Works. I will not be surprised if Tam NICA produces some future pros, although it’s hard to beat the champion factory that is Durango.

Last edited by EB; 05-16-2024 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:05 AM

Hate that! I am fortunate that I do not have a lot of mechanicals but, I carry half a bike shop in my jersey pockets, like it is getting a bit ridiculous. Like Angry I have one kit that isn't attached to any bike, it just goes in the jersey. Do love when cyclist help each other out!
Old 05-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Back At It!

first, sorry that happened and glad you got back home ok!

similar to Angry (but a bit different) I have a bar bag that I just swap between whichever bike I'm riding that day.. the only risk I have is if I'm riding my Riv with 650b wheels, I need to ensure I pack the 650b tube.. maybe I need an extra bag for that bike..

this way I should have everything I need, regardless of which bike I ride any particular day..
Old 05-16-2024, 10:54 AM

I carry a dynoplug when I ride my tubeless gravel and mountain bikes, but I've never needed to use it. If the need arises I worry I won't know how to use it properly. The idea of poking a hole in a perfectly good tire to practice doesn't sound fun, so I suppose I'll wait until the tire is mostly worn before trying it out.

David